1. MiniMins members lost 144 Stone in January! Why not join in the conversation today?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi Guest, let me just say that you are awesome for signing up to MiniMins. Your account is now validated. Your first few posts will be moderated. This is mainly to prevent spam showing on our forum. Dont worry we will get to your post most likely within 30 minutes between 8am and 11pm. Thanks again!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

PCOS Newbie

Discussion in 'PCOS' started by MissKimberlina, 3 May 2014 Social URL.

1. Hey everyone,

I only found out a couple of years ago that I have PCOS and am still learning all about it, of course you spent your entire teen life being told to protect and play it safe and I have always been very careful but since getting married last year we began trying for a baby. Perhaps it was naive of me to think that I would get instantly pregnant but after a year of trying I find myself trying to find out more and more about PCOS and what I can do to get pregnant.

I am a big girl, always have been from a young age. I've done all the diets in the book, even the food replacement ones. I do really well for the first few months and even a year in some cases and I will loose a good few stone and then just as I am doing well and getting where I want to be, I stop and gain it all back on again. So for the last 16 years I have Yo-Yo dieted and of course when I approached my doctor about having a baby she quite rightly pointed out that my weight would be against me.

When she had told me a couple of years ago that I had PCOS, I didn't really think much of it. I missed a period and at the time as long as I wasn't pregnant (unplanned). Then life would be relatively normal. I read up a few bits about PCOS but as it was so common I didn't think it would have a massive impact.

This year has proved that my PCOS has got worse, I actually went 9 whole months without a period and when it finally happened I was in an incredible amount of pain with it. My doctor had prescribed me Metformin and I have been trying to lose weight to better the whole ordeal, struggling, which is why I am here.

Metformin has a horrid effect on my bowels if I take it 3 times a day, I can literally hear my stomach gurgling until I feel my stomach drop and I need to find the nearest toilet. (Sorry for the graphic detail). So sometimes I just take 2 a day and find I get on much better.

I am just beginning a new journey, which involves healthy eating, losing weight via a calorie controlled diet, regular exercise and creating a body that is worthy of carrying a baby. I am going to experiment with Low GI foods and possibly try the 5:2 diet as well as counting cals.

If you have read this then well done, I do tend to ramble a lot!

Fingers crossed this forum will support and help me in this process.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. nat_bean

nat_bean Well-Known Member

hey

good luck with ur journey. I too take metformin. if u find they are not agreeing with your tummy ask your GP to switch you to the slow release ones. I did this and works so much better for me :D I'm also TTC but know I need ivf so getting my weight down is a must. I've tried many diets but have found that slimming world is the one currently working for me :)

nat x