Green Days Nice reciepe with rice - Any suggestions?

Chubby-Chels

I have some rice in the cupboard, and want to do something with it tomorrow but I have no idea what as I don't usually cook with rice! Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated x

Jamalaya?
Risotto?
Chilli?
Curry?
Stroganoff?

Risotto sounds good.. as I said i really dont use rice therefore struggle to cook it properly! It always seems to end up either undercooked or overcooked!! x

It's usually made with Arborio rice but I think I've used long grain before. I love mushroom risotto! :D

You could make a variation on rissotto that I make. Fry up some mushrooms, onions, sweetcorn and some chicken / quorn (whatever you prefer). Add the rice and enough chicken stock to fully cover the mixture and just let it simmer, stirring every few minutes. Depending on the type of rice you may need to add more water / stock as it starts to cook. It's good for filling you up and if you use brown rice it makes you *go* ;)

I'm new to SW, but I'm fairly certain chicken stock is only about 1 syn per cube. The more stock you use the tastier the dish is. It's simple, but effective!

Make sure you just try a wee bit of it when it looks cooked to ensure you're not over or under-cooking the rice.

Edit: Everything except the chicken stock is free on Easy Extra, as is my understanding!

You could make a variation on rissotto that I make. Fry up some mushrooms, onions, sweetcorn and some chicken / quorn (whatever you prefer). Add the rice and enough chicken stock to fully cover the mixture and just let it simmer, stirring every few minutes. Depending on the type of rice you may need to add more water / stock as it starts to cook. It's good for filling you up and if you use brown rice it makes you *go* ;)

I'm new to SW, but I'm fairly certain chicken stock is only about 1 syn per cube. The more stock you use the tastier the dish is. It's simple, but effective!

Make sure you just try a wee bit of it when it looks cooked to ensure you're not over or under-cooking the rice.

Edit: Everything except the chicken stock is free on Easy Extra, as is my understanding!

Sorry, just noticed you are on a green day. Not sure how that effects the recipe? Maybe leave out the chicken? I'm sure someone more experienced than me can help - apologies!

Oooh egg fried rice! But you need something to go with it, lol. I used to have a HEb of chicken breast.

How about curry fried rice? Cook up your rice, fry up some onions & mushrooms. In a seperate frying pan spray some fry light and add two beaten eggs. Mix round until they're bitty and have dried up a bit.

Add fried eggs mixture and rice to frying pan with musrooms and onions and add curry powder. Mix round well and add about a quarter of a glass of water. Mix round again until heated though and voila! Healthy curry fried rice :D

I like the sound of the one with mushrooms & onion with the chicken stock.. I actaully have "chicken rice" batcholors.. which i dont think is synd.. will double check.. so could keep adding water to it then some chicken style quorn as im on a green day :D x

I always cook my rice in the steamer ... very good if you have one. There's two of us who are always really hungry, 200g rice, 300ml water (with an oxo cube mixed in for flavour) in a bowl in the steamer for 25 mins - cooks perfectly every time. Once it's cooked I'd go for a vegetable and egg fried rice with some soy sauce mixed in for good measure. Yummy!

Yup, the books say they are syns but they are actually free on the website.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Basic/Non Branded Foods Stock, cubes, all varieties each
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]

I can't imagine it would make too much difference as long as you dont use 10!! x

Wow, that's great to know about stock cubes. I mainly use Vecon, but everything starts to taste a bit samey.

Just fry light some peppers, onion, garlic, halved cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn (whatever veg you like chopped up)- then throw in some spices, whatever you fancy, and mix into boiled rice.

Really fills you up and is syn free on green!

I have to stop reading these posts ....... they are making me hungry and its way past my bedtime :)

Chickpeas and pea rice....tastes wonderful. Just spray some fry light and put garam masala, chilli powder, cumin seeds, chopped garlic and salt and put in the chickpeas. Then add the basmalti rice (1 cup), and add 2 cups of boiling water. Add the frozen peas. Normally I don't cover it with a lid until most of the water has disappeared and then turn heat to low. Delicious!

Back