Nobody can understand...

my hubbys ok until it comes to the weekend and then its... oh go on have a treat youve done so well all week ..treat yaself...i could bludy throttle him.. he means well but really doesnt understand the way cd works..oh and hes the same about be on the pc.. hes always wat u lookin at, who ya typing 2? ... good post abz very well put xx

Great post by the way, tbh this time round I haven't told anyone other than kids and oh.

Got fed up at having people try and sabotage my diet, oh its only 1 day it wont hurt grrr oh is the worst, is really supportive to begin with and then by day 4/5 when the headaches kick in and I'm getting early nights to take mind off the hunger (not early night HE had in mind) he's like ah just have something today and u can start again tomorrow u've done so well etc this time he is in ireland for a mth looking after his mum so I will be well on my way to success by time he gets back :8855:

oh my word. my thought for the day seems to have set off a riot!! ha.

my OH also became insecure when i started to lose weight, until i pointed out to him that my self esteem was not low enough, nor was i desperate enough, to agree to marry somebody i didn't want to be with. and i was insulted that he had suggested that just because i was thinner i thought i could do better. if i thought he wasn't good enough for me then i would have found somebody better. as it is i don't think there is anybody better for me, which is why i'm with him. he's only brought it up once again and it was a bit of a nervous murmer on the subject so i let it drop and actually thought it was kind of sweet, ha. just as he doesn't love me for my size, i don't love him for my size either :D

can't say he isn't VERY appreciative of my emerging shape though. i have to keep telling him to bugger off!! *sigh*.

i do think having a food addiction (and i don't say those words to many, because many think it's ridiculous, even though that's obviously what i've had, although i've never known it) is a difficult thing to combat because you CAN'T give it up all together. and it's one of the reasons i have ss+ days a couple of times a week now because i don't want to be scared of eating again.

abz xx

I wish it was that easy, fair enough i'm losing at the rate of a couple of plans lower but ive never really burnt off calories fast enough. I think the real reason men generally burn faster is that they do more active jobs, not that women dont or that every day stuff isnt hard but on building sites and dustmen etc burn some serious calories in a day doing nothing more than earning there bread, when I was younger I worked in a factory lifting wardrobes around on my shoulder all day and ate what I wanted and never gained a pound yet now I work at home and in a studio with 95% of the day on my backside I have put a load of weight on.
I do think though my view on losing weight is different though to a lot of women, men certainly dont get so worried over a belly and gaining pounds, seen as a sign of being a propper man amongst the boys, where I know girls who are very unhappy yet are only a tiny amount overweight, blokes get overweight by poor diet and lazyness where women seem to eat more emotionally.
Back to the original post, I dont think people do have a clue if they are not/havnt been overweight. Its a big thing losing weight and certainly on par with giving up smoking or drinking. :)

You're on to something there, Badger - I hadn't thought about the relative physicality of jobs. Even down time can be a bit more physical for men. The men I know spend more of their down time playing footie or cricket with their friends... after they've been pried away from their PC or games console, that is ;)

Even so, friends of mine who've tried to diet with their partner (male or female) have always had a point of frustration where the man has lost so much more than the woman that it gets demotivating for one or both of them. The argument almost always goes that she isn't trying hard enough or that she gets discouraged by it coming off of her more slowly. Then again, they're also eating the same food and usually the same portion sizes, regardless of their relative physical sizes. Feed a 6'4" man what his 5'6" partner is eating as part of a diet and you're bound to see him shrink that much faster.

This topic is really interesting to me, btw. I've always dated really lanky guys who've eaten tablefoods of food on their own and haven't gained an ounce. My husband is the sole non-lanky one, but he has a physical element to his job and burns off anything he eats. He really doesn't get quite why I'm as big as I am, or how hard it is to come off.

yup my oh has also seen me do all of the above, and at first until i explained it all to him he was one of them people,(skinny all his life).
i no people mean well but unless u have been through it u really cant say anything!! xxx

One of the most interesting and relevant threads since I started cd. I think that food addiction and allergy can rule your life. No-one else but my friend Beth understands how hard all this is. She has a problem too. I will never be able to eat how I did before CD. Hopefully I am part way through the healing process now.

I guess this isn't a good time to tell everyone how lucky they are and how good life is??

I'll get me coat :D

lol u are right kd :)
nice to see though how other people feel the same!!

i hate it when people try to convince you to have something to. don't they realise how much effort it takes to say no in the first place? it's so easy to give in if they keep at it...
abz xx

There was a women at a function that was a salad luncheon that I attended. I had just joined this group focused on working together to assist students so that they work toward higher education. I had just been on my plan for a couple of weeks so still finding my way but I had a strong resolve. This women saw that I was drinking my tetra and asked me to fix my plate. I told her that the tetra was all I was having. She started in on the "oh a little won't hurt...", "how about this or that. She kept it up and I kept saying "No". She finally said, "I'm goning to make you eat", like it was some sort of personal challenge. I said to myself then that no one was going to "make" me eat, only I can do that and I choose not too. I asked this woman in front of everyone why would she do that to me instead of supporting me when she knew I was working on my weight as I sat there in my size 32s. Some people are food pushers and they know that we can potentially give in to them like some many times in the past. I saw the same folks just a few weeks ago wearing my 22s and many were in awe at how much I have lost and a few wanted the details, drs name, name of program and phone numbers. Never let those pushers get you. I think some look at it as excerting some kind of control over you or that they will break you so they can say,.."see I knew you couldn't do it. Yes, they know how hard it is and that is why they do it. It is about no one but me and I must protect my weight loss because no one else will.
Just my 2 cents!
edi

very good point edi. some people just don't want you to succeed. i was low-carbing a few years ago and i worked with a guy who was over 20 stone i believe, although i now can't remember. but he was a big chap. he asked me what i was doing and i explained the principles to him. over the next six months he transformed into this six foot 2/3 stunner. i was totally gobsmacked and of course incredibly jealous as he did my diet and i lost very little, ha. but there were women that worked there. and he'd sit there with roast chicken only to have this woman say 'don't sit there eating chicken like you're being good. we all know you've got mars bars hidden in your pockets'. who says a thing like that? how demoralising is it? needless to say that particular woman had be 'doing' atkins for years and was still overweight and didn't want him to succeed. i saw the guy last week and he's STILL a stunner. he kept all of it off. and it must have been nigh on ten stone he lost. but i always remember how angry i was at that woman!! aargh.

abz xx

lol u are right kd :)
nice to see though how other people feel the same!!

Too true. Sometimes we just need to have a major whinge for England and then move on. As long as everyone is moving on. Not necessarily from the thread, but in their heads.

very good point edi. some people just don't want you to succeed.

And some people don't want to go in the direction that they appear to want to go ;) Talking about some dieters, nothing personal:p

It is about no one but me and I must protect my weight loss because no one else will.
Just my 2 cents!
edi

Genius :cool:

Good post!! :D

My OH is 6'2 and weighs 21st 5lbs. Got a bit of a belly but is sooo broad that he generally carries it well. Don't get me wrong, he does tell me he needs to go on a diet tho.

While I'm doing CD he said that he might try it one day. He's very supportive but if I say Im tempted to cheat, he soooooo TELLS me i'm not, and no way! If he's going to try it one day, i don't understand why he doesn't do it 'with me' instead of eating all the time around me which does make it harder , especially on a bad day!

My mother winds me up tho, she has no idea what it's been like to grow up FAT and always be fat. So, now that I'm doing this diet, she gives me comments like.. "saves you doing this, I wish I starved you as a kid" it really pees me off!

Hmm thats my 2 pennies worth anyways... good thread ;)

While I'm doing CD he said that he might try it one day..........,

i don't understand why he doesn't do it 'with me' instead of eating all the time around me which does make it harder , especially on a bad day!

Maybe he's not ready to do it yet?
Maybe he wants to wait and see how you get on, wether you keep it off afterwards (I'm sure you will :) ) etc.

My Dad has said the same thing, "thinking about doing it sometime in the future" , I know that what he's really doing is seeing if it does fully work first, as lets face it, it's a a HUGE PITA if you did it for 8/10/12 weeks or more, only to end up the way you were before after a few months back on food.

Also, men generally like to have 110% of the information about something before they'll start it (I read SO much info about LL before I began it, I already know pretty much everything I am going to be told in my meetings, and I have been going over all the TA and some of the CBT since day 1 :) ), so he'll no doubt be wanting to see your start, middle and end of the program before he will think about commiting to it himself.

I see what you mean Pete, I know you're right...

Oh and 'when' I get to goal, I know in my heart of hearts it will never go back on. Also, when the day does come that he starts... i'll be right behind him x

Oh and 'when' I get to goal, I know in my heart of hearts it will never go back on.

:) I feel exactly the same way, I know that once I'm rid of all this excess, I'll never put it back on again as I'll look and feel so much better

Also, when the day does come that he starts... i'll be right behind him x

What a lovely afterthought Tracey, your guy is lucky to have you :)

:) I feel exactly the same way, I know that once I'm rid of all this excess, I'll never put it back on again as I'll look and feel so much better

We'll do it Pete, i'm 100% sure of it. You have done AMAZINGLY well, the pics are fantastic. you must feel so proud of yourself.

What a lovely afterthought Tracey, your guy is lucky to have you :)

lol - I try my best to remind him... often LOL (just kidding)

Ooops! I obv dont know how to use the 'quote' thingy. What I wrote was in the quote bit too.... Sorry! Duurrr Dime bar!!

I have just read through all this thread and it is so thought provoking, I have always been 'big' but because I am tall have carried it well but have spent my life fed up of being in the shadow of my older sister who has always been a size 8-10, why did I end up with the fat genes?, losing weight for me has always been a constant battle but what has made my life worse is well meaning people who tell me I am 'big boned' and will never be a size 10 no matter how much weight I lose, psychologically this crucifies me really, but I am determined this time to get to a size 10 and sod em all!

Rachelina - Awww :( How bloody annoying is that!!
Some people just 'dont think'!

Good for you though, you can do it hun.. and how great will you feel then! :D good luck xx

My oh has been quite sweet really. He wanted to know all about the diet. I told him. Well we actually went over it three times.

So one day he decided to eat three cuppa soups all day, and he felt ill.
DUH!!!!!
He said he wanted to know what it was like. But could not get his head around why it just wasnt the same. Ah bless.

So now, every now and again he says "oh I dont know how you can do it". But I guess he was trying to understand (in his own way).

Back