Non oat based porridge - Syn free?:)

GalVeg

Hi all. I'm new here and I'm just wondering if I use millet or quinoa to make my daily porridge would that save me a healthy B.

Would be interested to know how it tastes

Funnily enough I've just read an article about quinoa porridge being a mega healthy way to start the day! Enjoy :D

P x

I used to make "porridge" using couscous and a Mullerlight. Place couscous in a bowl and mix in the yoghurt, then cover and leave overnight in the fridge. It'll be ready to eat in the morning.

I use sweet couscous for breakfast. I make it up with the recommended amount of water, and when fluffing with a fork I add some sweetener.

Normally have it over a bowl of fruit with a blob of yogurt or drizzle of golden syrup. Yum! X

hi - I ahve only joined SW but I make quinoa for breakfast just now. it is very nutty in flavour but I usually boil up then used coconut muller mixed through and it was lovely. Other option would be to make it up and boil it with soya milk or you can buy coconut milk which is lovely. xx

I've made quinoah porridge..its lovely. i boil it up with some milk, vanilla, cinnamon and some sultanas or raisins. any fresh fruit over the top. kind of porridge meets rice pudding!! its very filling and so very good for you!

I've had quinoa porridge the last two days now and really like it. Made it with skimmed milk, strawberries and vanilla extract. Found it a lot more filling than regular porridge but less creamy. :)

Oh please could u give me quantities and times/temps to cook it! I HATE oat porridge YUCK! But I LOVE quinoa so would love to try!

I use 1/4 cup of Quinoa flakes with 2/4 cups of skimmed milk (so ratio 2:1) and have it banana and cinnamon. Really nice and satisfying. :)

Thank you I'm def trying this!

Just remember - Quinoa is only a free food on Green and EE days. NOT free on Red days.
And make sure you are getting enough fibre form other sources during the day.

I thought it was free on Red, my mistake....is it a hex?

Nope - you have to syn it.

Quinoa, plain, 25g dry
Quinoa, plain, 100g cooked 7
Quinoa, ground/used as flour, 25g

Going to have to get me some quinoa! xx

Back