Normal Carb levels?

TheMilkTrayMan

Thinking ahead to when I come off LT and hope to maintain, I was wondering what daily level of Carbs I should look to take on?

I have learnt through the LT journey that I am sensitive to Carbs, and that eating too many grams of carbs leads to my weight gain. So, armed with this brainwave I am looking to control the daily carb intake post LT.

I have read that most people have 250-300g of carbs a day, where as Atkins when putting people into low carb ketosis recommends a maximum of 20g carbs a day. I dont intend to remain in ketosis, so know I wont need to keep as low as 20g carbs a day. But was wondering what level of carbs I should try to stick to if I am to ensure I do not weight gain post LT.

Any ideas? Guidance?

Thanks.

Nick.

Also when i worked in dietetics they used to say fill half your plate with vegetables or salad then a quarter with your meat or fish and a quarter with your carbs this apparently is a balanced plate , i also got told that a serving of pasta would be roughly what you could hold in your two hands cupped together and for spuds it would be 5 or 6 new potatoes

Also when i worked in dietetics they used to say fill half your plate with vegetables or salad then a quarter with your meat or fish and a quarter with your carbs this apparently is a balanced plate , i also got told that a serving of pasta would be roughly what you could hold in your two hands cupped together and for spuds it would be 5 or 6 new potatoes

I'm storing all of that for future info! Cheers hun :) x

I only know that below 100g of carbs a day is classed as a ketoegenic diet, and after being in ketosis for 3-4 weeks, you need to have roughly 40g of carbs a day to keep in ketosis, for maximum weight loss.

the plate idea sounds about right, i know they used to say fill half your plate with carbs but that sounds way too much, I would rather half fill with salad or veg and a quarter with carbs.

have you thought about seeing a nutritional consultant after diet? it is something i was thinking about.

Hi there

I think if you're carb sensitive 250gms may lead to issues. I'm also carb sensitive and it also makes me ill, bloating indigestion, IBS symptoms. When I get to target I am going to follow the South Beach diet for maintenance - which is low-fat low-GI, the key is to slowly reintroduce carbs - but only good carbs, no refined white flour, so no white bread pasta, white rice, potatoes etc. You can then find a level of carbs where you can maintain your weight loss. Atkins reintroduces carbs gradually in the same way - but I find Atkins too heavy on the fats for me.

There is a lot of evidence behind a low-GI way of eating and my VLCD (W8) recommends following this way of eating for maintenance.

Good luck with it

Carol x

I am going dietician when i finish even if i have to pay
will basically do a plan of a couple of weeks meals and what i would have for the whole day including snacks etc then sit with them and go through it and see whats what and if i need to change anything, hopefully it wont need changing but if it does itll get caught before i eat it

I agree Carol, i have the south beach diet book and as i am carb sensitive also this is an ideal way to maintain my weight but also to retrain my way of thinking towards how i eat. You can pick the book up at the local library or its about a fiver off amazon. Intresting idea about a nutritional consultant Helen, hadnt thought of that, probably will see one now. Theres no point doing all this hard work without the "aftercare" There are plenty of people on here who are 2nd timers on LT after letting things slip as it were.

I like the nutritionist idea, thanks, will definitely think about that. Trouble is I LOVE white bread, mountains of spuds, miles of pasta etc, all the stuff I know I shouldn't. So it would be really good to get proper advice on how much to go for. I have read that a normal carb intake for a meal should be half of the protein intake, and no bigger a portion than the size of your hand, with bad/refined carbs being no more than 11% of the daily intake - all very confusing, as it also says it is individual for each person.

I think I will try to restict to no more than 200g or carbs aday to start with and see if I can maintain at that level. If I put weight on I will bring it down to 180g and so on until I get to a level of comfortable maintenance.

I cant claim to know anything about the South Beach diet, so I think I will follow advice and get the book to find out. I have recently bought a few Low Carb cook books, and as I love chicken, there are loads and loads of recipes for me to try.

Rant time: WHY OH WHY do they do cook books without pictures of the food??!! GGGrrrrrr! I need pictures!!

hehehe, I have to agree I love cookbooks with pictures, my favourite is a salad book and they all look like works of art, it's just amazing, one salad looks like a bunch of flowers. Doubt I could ever get it like that.

Re carbs what I have read, which I thought of trying is to slowly introduce carbs, and just notice week-by-week what effect they have on your weight...

Great thread & v informative for me too :) Thanks

I've got a feeling I'm sensitive to carbs n all so good to know daily limits etc..

To be honest I've not missed bread, pasta tattys or rice :) Funny how I automatically used to lump them on the side of my plate too - like it wasn't a meal if it didn't include them

I'm deffo gonna keep to a low GI / Atkins / High Protein type diet moving forward :)

I must admit I have been thinking about post-LT food and had thought seriously about the South Beach diet, not that I know enough about it yet. I like Genies suggestion of 1/2 salad/veg, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carb. I also thought about using a smaller plate.

I miss carbs - have a real thing for a wholemeal pitta filled with salad at the mo!

Any advice on low GI/South Beach diets greatly appreciated.

x

Thanks for all the ideas on this thread its really given me some ideas will have to get myself to the library for some books

I must admit I have been thinking about post-LT food and had thought seriously about the South Beach diet, not that I know enough about it yet. I like Genies suggestion of 1/2 salad/veg, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carb. I also thought about using a smaller plate.

I miss carbs - have a real thing for a wholemeal pitta filled with salad at the mo!

x

eeek! Cuddlefairy, you have been reading my thoughts! I would love a wholemeal pitta filled with salad. weird...

x

although it sounds delish, its making my jaw ache at the thought of it! I miss being able to chew (physically i mean, dr's orders not to chew for jaw prob, aside from a couple of flappys per week)

I cant wait till i eat again, but also, until I CAN eat again! lol

A few prawns would just finish it off for me!!! Lol!!!!

Must have my last shake - all this talk of food is making me hungry!!!

x

Back