Oatmeal - is it the same as porridge?

HellieCopter

Gold Member
Hello

Picked up oatmeal in the supermarket instead of porridge yesterday. Should have noticed the flakes are not flakey, more like grains! Does anyone know if it's still a HE?

Thanks

H

Yes oatmeal is the same as porridge oats

I checked on the slimming world site when the hexb amounts changed and it said that oatbran is still 28g whereas oats are now 35g. SO now instead of eating oatbran I'm eating oats as you get so much more! I might be wrong though so might be worth someone else checking too.

Oatbran is something different, just the outer husk of the oat, while oatmeal is the crushed inner.

But SW haven't finished updating the online HEs which is why some show as as 28g but others have been changed :)

Found a bit about oats online...

It is found that daily consumption of oatmeal can reduce the cholesterol in your body. It is also found that oatmeal reduces the risk of heart problem on daily use. The composition of oatmeal is complex carbohydrates and water-soluble fibre which in terms make digestion slow and stabilizes blood-glucose levels and reduce the cholesterol. It also contains good quantity of vitamin B.

Oatmeal is actually a porridge made up from ground oat groats. Sometimes we also call ground oat, rolled oat, steel-cut oat or crushed oat as oatmeal. Generally oat groats are coarsely ground to produce oatmeal, sometimes it is crushed into small pieces to produce steel cut oats or steamed and flattened to make rolled oat. There is one another type exists that is instant oat meal which is pre cooked and dried with some flavour generally sweet.

Back