Obviously doing something wrong.

bluwind

Hi all,
I am a 19 stone gent who has recently been diagnosed with gaulstones (diagnosed after a few weeks of hell with pain I may add).
Ok so long story short, I have been diagnosed with gaul stones. If I eat red meat (with the exception of mince meat for some reason), chips, pastry, Nuts I spend the next 5 hours doubled over in pain.
So after a long talk with the doctor two weeks ago I decided that this may be the kick I have always needed to stay away from the bad foods and put off having the operation to remove them. the same day I joined the gym and have been going for an hour a day 7am - 8am everyday for 12 days now, whilst there I cycle 4 - 6 miles, and brisk walk/jog 2 - 3 miles. Along with because of my job I walk on patrol between 2 - 3 hours.
My diet for the past two weeks has consisted of

- 3 hard boiled eggs for breakfast
- lunch is either a greggs Salad box ( 430cals) and fruit pack (advertised as 160cals)
- dinner (which I have been eating between 10 and 11 at night because of my work) is what ever the wife makes, so it could be shepards pie one day, curry the next - she has been using slimming world recipies so I know they are not loaded with excessive calories.
- I drink copious amounts of Diet coke during the day and 4 - 5 bottles of water.

Now the problem I have is that when I started I was 18stone and 13lbs, and today 12 days later I am 18stone and 13lbs. Granted, I will be the first to admit I have cheated twice - the first was a White finger kitkat 4 days ago and the second was today - a bag of reveals.

So yeah, does anyone know what I am doing wrong - I know its only been 12 days but I would expect something to have come off. Am I eating the wrong things?? I don't think Im eating to much as my calories are coming in between 900 - 1500 a day. does anyone know of a site that I can find a meal plan?? (im really not fussed if I have to eat the same thing everyday, I know longer have any enjoyment from food so that wouldn't matter).

Cheers

Rob

Hi bluwind

Persevere dont give up just yet. Try mixing your foods up a bit, ie for brekkie try some fruit and a fat free yogurt or some cereal or toast etc. I know work means you eat very late sometimes, could you have something whilst at work and then maybe a snack when you get home instead of eating a big meal so late.

I know its diet coke but maybe cut that down a little? There are hundreds of diaries on here you could look through for meal ideas and for snacks etc. There is no quick fix just take one day at a time you will get there. Good luck

Don't be discouraged! You've already shown that you're willing to put the effort in, so once you settle on a plan that your body likes, you'll have the willpower to see it through. :)

I don't think you are eating enough. Go to this site to figure out your BMR, which is basically the number of calories your body burns just to survive: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ - this doesn't include any activity at all, you would burn this much even in a coma. This will be higher than 900-1500 per day based on the numbers you've given.

My suggestion would be not to drop below this amount daily, replace your gym cardio with weight training 2-3 times a week (you're already walking at your job) to increase muscle (which will burn more calories 24/7) and cut the diet coke as artificial sweeteners can mess with your blood chemistry by tricking your body into releasing insulin even though you've not had real sugar.

If you want a specific plan, Tesco Diets is a membership plan that provides menus and shopping lists tailored to your requirements. I think they have some sample menus on their site that you can see for free. Personally their low GI plan worked well for me in years past although I now find a primal/paleo diet makes me feel healthier.

If you like unprocessed food based on meat/fruit/veg then primal/paleo could also be something to look into. :) If so, Mark's Daily Apple website is a great resource to start with as is the dedicated forum here on Minis. :D

Edit to add: paleo/primal are heavier on fat so there may be a risk of aggravating your gallstones - you may want to disregard that suggestion or proceed with caution and do some googling!

Thank you both for the speedy replies and thank you plumfoodie for the very in depth reply. I think ill head over to the link u gave me and figure out a proper diet plan. And as u say it maybe time to add weights into my gym schedule.

Two things that helped me successfully lose weight were watching my carb intake and eating a bigger meal in the morning.

I'm on a very low cal diet at the moment, but when I'm not on it, I'd eat a large breakfast. Maybe a mushroom omelette or scrambled egg on toast with some fruit. I stopped eating carbs after lunchtime and the weight just literally fell off. By eating a large breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner (rather than the other way round) I was reasonably full come dinner time and not tempted to gorge myself.

I'm on a very low cal diet at the moment and its not easy, no carbs, no dairy and only about 500cal a day but I'm losing 1lb a day on it. Its obviously not a long term plan (I plan on going on weight watchers when I reach my goal to maintain my loss and eat a balanced diet) but cutting carbs and dairy is a great way of dropping a lot of weight quickly.

Best of luck, you can do it! :)

Thank you both for the speedy replies and thank you plumfoodie for the very in depth reply. I think ill head over to the link u gave me and figure out a proper diet plan. And as u say it maybe time to add weights into my gym schedule.

How are things going?

Back