Odd discrepancy regarding latte syns

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
I was just thinking, an HE serving of skimmed milk fills an average mug and is 6 syns (when not using as an HE) right? But why is a costa skinny latte which is roughly the same volume as 350ml skimmed milk only 2.5 syns? I know they mix espresso with milk but it's only a shot so it shouldn't alter the milk volume to affect the syn value so drastically. And again, Starbucks tall skinny latte is 5 syns and is the same volume as Costa primo skinny latte but double the syns! Something weird's going on, am I the only one who's noticed?

Just feel a bit funny drinking 2 primo costa lattes and call that an HE when if I make my own at home using skimmed milk and coffee grounds, it'll be half the quantity!

I noticed that too but assumed it was a mistake so only have one and count it as a full HEA. Would be nice if I was wrong though:)

Yeah I've done the same. Just seems too good to be true. I get the medium though... Cheeky :D

I wonder if the steaming of the milk increases the volume maybe? Hence the discrepancy in serving.

Obviously if you were just pouring milk from a carton, you would need to pour more into the mug to fill it than what you would of steamed milk. If that makes sense, because the froth increased the volume slightly.

Last edited:
A primo coffee from costa is only 264ml, so with the steamed milk and shot of expresso, the syn value is probably about right. Is 51 calories, so using the 1 syn for 20 calories rule it is 2.5 syns. The measure of expresso is perhaps slightly more in costa compared to starbucks too.

The 5 syns for a tall skinny latte from starbucks would be about right, as with the expresso shot and the steamed milk I would say it works out as just under 350ml of milk and looking at the nutritional information on the link below for a tall (skimmed) milk latte. It is 100 calories, which equates to 5 syns when using the 1 syn for every 20 calories.

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/caffe-latte?foodZone=9999#size=41&milk=61

Hope that all makes sense. lol

I would always go by the nutritional info if in doubt, as milk will have no free food allowance, so it will always be 1 syn for every 20 calories and unless getting a flavoured shot in the coffee, you know the calories are going to come from the volume of milk used, as coffee is free.

Last edited:
I was a manager for Costa and can assure you they don't water down their milk!!! The reason it's less syns is due to the steaming! When you steam the milk it almost doubles in volume in the jug, so that will explain the confusion

I can also vouch for the fact of steaming milk, you only fill the jug half full with milk. Steaming will actually increase the milk to fill the jug. This is why the syns are lower! Also costa tend to use two shots, I do believe starbucks maybe only use one in their lattes.

I worked at Costa and also was a manager for Coffee Republic back in the day :)

Say said:
I can also vouch for the fact of steaming milk, you only fill the jug half full with milk. Steaming will actually increase the milk to fill the jug. This is why the syns are lower! Also costa tend to use two shots, I do believe starbucks maybe only use one in their lattes.

I worked at Costa and also was a manager for Coffee Republic back in the day :)

Costa use a single shot for a primo, double for medio, and triple for a grande!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Costa use a single shot for a primo, double for medio, and triple for a grande!!

Depends to be honest, over here in ROI I know they put double shot into the massimo (Grande is Starbucks) decaf mocha

It varies between bars and between countries. We have a starbucks in work and they're pants from personal experience ;) I'll be sticking with Costa as they actually use skim milk!

Say said:
Depends to be honest, over here in ROI I know they put double shot into the massimo (Grande is Starbucks) decaf mocha

It varies between bars and between countries. We have a starbucks in work and they're pants from personal experience ;) I'll be sticking with Costa as they actually use skim milk!

Massimo/grande!! Still the large!!! Costa may well have changed as I worked there 4 years ago, but to be honest, was only offering advice-I don't personally care as can't stand the stuff! :)

Massimo/grande!! Still the large!!! Costa may well have changed as I worked there 4 years ago, but to be honest, was only offering advice-I don't personally care as can't stand the stuff! :)

Haha yes! It's ok - I knew what you meant :D It's still pretty much the same - you can't really change how you make coffee too much!

Only tend to deviate towards the decaf mocha's especially when I found out a large decaf skinny mocha is 7 syns :drool:

Keeps me going during my silly long hours when it's either that or the horrid vending machine full of chocolate that I like to say 'I'm allergic to' but that'd be a lie! ;)

Hey I'm guessing if it's the same as the Starbucks then it's free. There's is!

fatcoo said:
Yeah, they do vanilla, hazelnut and caramel. So happy it's free! x

Same flavours as Starbucks too I think!!

Back