Official Reply from LT re: gum, mouthwash, pepper & fibre

IrishMum

A little of everything!
My questions to LT directly:

1. Can you use mouthwash?
2. Can you use other 'fibre' bulking agents?
3. Can you have sugar free chewing gum
4. Can you add pepper to the soup?

Their answer:

1. Yes - original Listerine or Oraldine or Corsidyl
2. Fybogel (unflavoured), senokot, psyllium husk
3 No - It is not carbohydrate free
4 No pepper is a berry

(I'm wondering do they mean the veg pepper, not black pepper- I didn't specify clearly enough? I hope so anyway, I've been having it everyday!! I'll ask again)

Their reply: Black pepper is a berry - no. It could make you more hungry than you need to be and slow your weight loss. Please add nothing. Also please watch the DVD. It explains a lot.

Uh-oh. I might still chance it though- it hasn't been making me hungry? Hmm.....
And I DID watch the DVD, a bit patronising I thought, but ah well....

Last edited:
I've been adding pepper to my soup and so have other people and their losses have been fine, so I'm going to carry on doing so.
I reckon they are just saying no to absolutely everything to be a pain in the backside!!

fab - thank you!

definitely going to splash out on original listerine from now on.

shame about pepper - i only have the soupe twice a week at most and haven't suffered yet in my weight loss. but want to give myself the best chance possible so will forego it from now on.

feel like telling them to spend some of the money we're all giving them on the horrid looking website and the atrocious video (aka 'cruddy looking powerpoint slide with unenthused american voiceover which probably took some office junior about half a day to knock up'). Ooh don't get me started on that video!

I can't stand the soup anyway :sign0137:
But I am definately going to get some listerine straight away my tongue is a bit furry hee hee :brushing teeth:

I had a similar reply about using water flavourings.
Both LighterLife and Cambridge Diet produce powder flavours to add to water. I asked if I could use them but was told categorically NO.
They are all essentially the same diet so I can't see why the flavours would have no effect on LL or CD but would do on LT. I personally think it's because LT don't produce them.
P. :rolleyes:

I've used pepper in the soup and have it every evening. It hasn't affected my weight loss.

Thanks for clarifying that....listerine here we come lol....and senakot lol x

I'm going to continue using the Black pepper & chili in my soup. I think they're afraid tasting something relatively normal would entice us to cheat easier maybe? The soup KEEPS me from cheating as I feel I'm getting 'real' food for once! LOL!:D
Need to do something about the 'fibre' now....:eek:;)

Yeah I love my chicken soup with black pepper and chilli. I've just bought some paprika to put a tiny tiny bit in my hot chocolate tonight. We'll see!

I had a similar reply about using water flavourings.
Both LighterLife and Cambridge Diet produce powder flavours to add to water. I asked if I could use them but was told categorically NO.
They are all essentially the same diet so I can't see why the flavours would have no effect on LL or CD but would do on LT. I personally think it's because LT don't produce them.
P. :rolleyes:

It's because on LT you are meant to be cleansing your palate and it is meant to be a bland diet. I know it's boring but that's the way it is hun.
If you want the water flavours then swap to CD, the losses are the same, i swapped(not for the water flavours!) and i love it!

it would need more than pepper in it for me to drink the soup, yak:)

Hi there! Another lady from Northern Ireland here, look forward to chatting in the forums :) (I will most likely add pepper to the soup btw lol) xxx

Since starting I've had paprika, chilli powder and pepper in my soup and I have one every evening and looking at my losses, I'd say its not affected me so far (touch wood!)

Back