oh my goodness the slimming world chips !!

skinny_fi

I had been longing to try these, and thought Sunday night would be an ideal time.
I followed the recepie from the magazine, preheat oven, parboil for 5 minutes, roughen, lay single layer on parchment paper, spray with fry light place into oven at gas mark 4 for 15-20 minutes.
After 20 minutes they didn't look crispy or borwned but were cooked. I turned the oven up to gas mark 9 for another 20 minutes, still not brown or crispy. :cry:

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

I do as you did but I put them straight onto the baking tray, having sprayed the tray and the top of the chips-prob cook for 20 mins and they are lovely. Easy to overcook tho.
Tracey

Try adding a sprinkling of salt over the chips just before you pop them in the oven - it dries them out a little so they come out all crispy :) Hope that helps?

Could never get these right...tried for years!!!

Put them straight in the actifry now...so much easier & quicker...crispy too!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions - I am determined not to give up on these. They get such rave reviews from others on here.
Will attempt again over the weekend and let you know
Thanks again

I had the same trouble, and thought maybe it was because they were a bit on the wet side still when they went in (from boiling them) so now I leave the skins on, cook in the microwave for ten mins while the oven is preheating to the highest temp, then cut them up complete with skins and put them on the tray with frylight, salt and pepper, and sometimes chilli powder.
I have found this keeps them crispy because they start off dry and so there is less steam in the oven. They usually take about 20-25 mins, but do overdo fast if you're not careful!
Hope that helps!

I tried them again last night with all the suggestions. I left the skins on, cut them a bit thicker, sprayed the paper and the chips, salted them and put into a hot oven. SUCCESS, well almost, OH still prefers other types, but I am a convert. For a "chippy chips" (harry hill) fix they are great.
PS - I will try them again in the micro first to see if I can crack them once and for all.
PSS - I cut them before I boil them. Perhaps this is why they are so soggy?
More experimenting to be done, thanks for all your help

I tried them again last night with all the suggestions. I left the skins on, cut them a bit thicker, sprayed the paper and the chips, salted them and put into a hot oven. SUCCESS, well almost, OH still prefers other types, but I am a convert. For a "chippy chips" (harry hill) fix they are great.
PS - I will try them again in the micro first to see if I can crack them once and for all.
PSS - I cut them before I boil them. Perhaps this is why they are so soggy?
More experimenting to be done, thanks for all your help

i've not made these in AGES, but ive always cut them before i've boiled them. Paddys made them before also, and they've both came out fine with us. I enjoy them, but just feel they take too much time to cook, i dont really eat chips, so its not a huge problem.

i cut mine before par boiling too, they sometimes go soggy but it does depend on the type of potato - some are better suited to chips than others!
The HOT oven is the key, I put mine up to it's hottest temp and it does work.
I couldn't manage without SW chips!!!

Letting them cool down and dry out gets better results too....

Yum - I made my first batch of SW chips for my lunch there and they were gorgeous - all crispy on the outside and all fluffy on the inside - i will def be making them again!

I've just had some with my steak (Ex Easy today!) and they were lovely. Not had much success with them before.

I cut them into scallop shapes (round ones) before par boiling. Left the skins on then put them on a metal tray (I don't use fry light - Dad won't have it in the house!) so prob used about a teaspoon of veg oil. Hot oven, 240 , turned them after 15 mins, took them out after 30, and they were lovely.

Dad overcooked the steak though:rolleyes:

If you like a bit of kick to your food try a sprinkle of paprika or cayenen peeper before cooking in the oven.

If I may say, you will tend to get better results if you try using Maris Piper (1st choice) or King Edward (2nd choice) potatoes - they have the right amount of starch, and so will brown and crisp on the outside and be dry and fluffy in the middle...

Otherwise, like many others, I cut, then boil, then steam dry, spray, salt and cook for about 25 mins at 200-210 turning once halfway :D

Am I the only lazy one who doesn't peel or parboil them?
I just chip them, douse them in Frylight (I like the buttery one), a sprinkle of salt, and whack them in the oven. I turn them about every 10 mins once they begin to grow brown, spritzing on more FL each turn. Turn out bleeding scrumptious!

mmmmm mushy peas.. that's what I had for tea!
I make wedges too but what I do is cook the potatoes like a jacket in the microwave then cut into wedges, sprinkle with fine salt and douse in frylight. Then you dont get any soggy bits, just crispy bits. My fella prefers my wedges to oven chips now. saves us a fortune :)

Back