Old photo's

*Emsie*

Gold Member
I was looking through some pics last night(looking for some of my daughter as she was 18 yesterday) and as was going through it struck me how far I have got to go before I am not fat!:sigh: The pics of me at a reasonable size didn't really start till I was about 14!!! Eeeeek :eek: 21 years ago and a lot of stone!
Am just trying to take a deep breath and get back on with my journey but it was a bit daunting! :confused:

Mate, I am with you on this. I was at my Dad's house at weekend and looking at pictures of me as a kid and I was fat. I have NEVER been a 'normal' weight- the lowest I ever got was to a size 14 for my wedding 6 years ago and I was only a size 14 for about 2 weeks as I did Atkins to get there and gave it up the day I got married.

I have spent my adult life size 20 or above, but PROMISE you that a slow and steady weight loss, despite not looking like it is getting you anywhere, works! It is really difficult to imagine when you have always been big, but it really is possible, I am only just realising that for myself- that I can look *shock horror* 'normal'

It really helped me to set myself small goals (and NOT put the added pressure of a time limit on these). My goals are for every 7 lbs, every drop of 5 in my BMI, every time I went down into the next stone, every time I dropped an extra 5% of my starting weight and every 'milstone' number in lbs lost (eg 25, 50, etc)

Check out my profile pics mate- this is possible

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i can't see your pics cocktail princess :(

I am the opposite, i was very slim when i was young, a size 8 until i was about 22 and i've slowly put the weight on since. so i know i can be slim, but its just my greed and laziness that got me fat!

that's the story of my life ;)

I was looking through some pics last night(looking for some of my daughter as she was 18 yesterday) and as was going through it struck me how far I have got to go before I am not fat!:sigh: The pics of me at a reasonable size didn't really start till I was about 14!!! Eeeeek :eek: 21 years ago and a lot of stone!
Am just trying to take a deep breath and get back on with my journey but it was a bit daunting! :confused:

If you look at it that way, yes it can be a bit daunting!

I'm lucky in a way, in that I've always been overweight.

I have been a fat adult, fat adolescent, fat kid and fat baby by the look of things too!

I do have photos of me from when I lost weight last time on SW (about 15 years ago) and I can use them as an inspiration, but you're right. To focus on that too much is to put the reality of the task right in front of you, and it shifts the emphasis to the long-term, which is more difficult to concentrate on.

I prefer to use my REALLY fat photos as my motivator. I look at those, and then check the mirror, and say to myself 'at least I'm not THAT size anymore'.
Clothes are also a huge booster. I now have a wardrobe full of shirts that no longer fit properly, and which will soon have to be donated to get them out of the way.

As CP says, smaller goals, more short term will keep you going, and you can always have the long-term ideal mental image of yourself in the back of your mind.

Wow CP just looked at your pics and you look amazing!! Well done! Very inspiring as I have a similar amount to loose!
I too haven't got any thin pics, lightest was about 2.5 stone less than I am now, and I used to think i was quite big then! Though looking back at pics I can see I look a lot better than I do now and especially a lot better than when I started!
Think I'm going to start taking pictures every stone loss like you CP so I can start seeing a difference.

Wow CP just looked at your pics and you look amazing!! Well done! Very inspiring as I have a similar amount to loose!
I too haven't got any thin pics, lightest was about 2.5 stone less than I am now, and I used to think i was quite big then! Though looking back at pics I can see I look a lot better than I do now and especially a lot better than when I started!
Think I'm going to start taking pictures every stone loss like you CP so I can start seeing a difference.

Thanks, mate

I was just saying to someone else that pictues really motivate me. I keep a printed copy of my '1 per stone' around the house. In those moments when I am utterly fed up with feeling like I have been on a diet forever I get them out. I look at my 'big' piccies and always remember that I have a choice. Of course I can eat what I like, but there are consequences!!! No food is worth how nice it feels to look at my 'now' piccies (sorry if that sounds incredibly vain!)

xxxx

Thanks, mate

I was just saying to someone else that pictues really motivate me. I keep a printed copy of my '1 per stone' around the house. In those moments when I am utterly fed up with feeling like I have been on a diet forever I get them out. I look at my 'big' piccies and always remember that I have a choice. Of course I can eat what I like, but there are consequences!!! No food is worth how nice it feels to look at my 'now' piccies (sorry if that sounds incredibly vain!)

xxxx

No it doesn't sound vain!! It must be nice to have that motivation!
Yes going to get a picture taken this weekend I think! Have nearly lost 2 stone so hopefully I'll see a bit of a difference!
Well done!

Mate, I am with you on this. I was at my Dad's house at weekend and looking at pictures of me as a kid and I was fat. I have NEVER been a 'normal' weight- the lowest I ever got was to a size 14 for my wedding 6 years ago and I was only a size 14 for about 2 weeks as I did Atkins to get there and gave it up the day I got married.

I have spent my adult life size 20 or above, but PROMISE you that a slow and steady weight loss, despite not looking like it is getting you anywhere, works! It is really difficult to imagine when you have always been big, but it really is possible, I am only just realising that for myself- that I can look *shock horror* 'normal'

It really helped me to set myself small goals (and NOT put the added pressure of a time limit on these). My goals are for every 7 lbs, every drop of 5 in my BMI, every time I went down into the next stone, every time I dropped an extra 5% of my starting weight and every 'milstone' number in lbs lost (eg 25, 50, etc)

Check out my profile pics mate- this is possible

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks CP I have seen your pics and you look great! I have done well so far and have got a before pic and a now pic I might try and put on here if I can figure out how!
For some reason I do keep getting bogged down by the big goal and not breaking it down as I did when I first started! I think its because I know it is do-able more than when I started as I didn't think I would get very far when I first started if that makes sense but then because I am loking at it as a whole it gets very daunting!
Thanks Cp...I need to set myself some small goals as you do and reward myself for those xxx

I do have photos of me from when I lost weight last time on SW (about 15 years ago) and I can use them as an inspiration, but you're right. To focus on that too much is to put the reality of the task right in front of you, and it shifts the emphasis to the long-term, which is more difficult to concentrate on.

I prefer to use my REALLY fat photos as my motivator. I look at those, and then check the mirror, and say to myself 'at least I'm not THAT size anymore'.
Clothes are also a huge booster. I now have a wardrobe full of shirts that no longer fit properly, and which will soon have to be donated to get them out of the way.

As CP says, smaller goals, more short term will keep you going, and you can always have the long-term ideal mental image of yourself in the back of your mind.

Thanks...useful advice :)

Back