On the news this morning about VLCD

xSinead

Silver Member
So on the news on Daybreak this morning its been announced that people who are on a very low calorie/carb diet are 60% more likely to get a heart disease in the future. I just couldn't believe this. So shall we eat and stay obese and risk getting heart attacks, becoming bed bound etc? LOL what a joke.

Did they provide any reputable, comprehensive medical study to back this claim, or was it just another headline grabber? :)

I've just an article in the health section of the Daily Mail Online and they are linking Atkins diet to this, with the high level of protein. I would say that on Atkins, eating a whole chicken, bacon, eggs, etc is encouraged, whereas on the CD it is about learning to re-educate your brain with food, so not eating massive amounts of meat and cheese, which can be very high in fat - fat causes cholesterol. :)

Daybreak did mention Atkins, but then the report went on to say ANY VLCD or low carb diet, so Cambridge would be included in that lol.

Yeah just saying they mentioned Atkins and all other low calorie/carb diets as being at a 60% higher risk of heart disease.

After CD at Christmas i will be joining a weight watchers or slimming world group just to maintain my weight, i've already made the decision to cut out carbs though as its done me wonders so far.

Yeah carbs make me want to binge. I was on ss from Jan to May when my young sister unexpectedly passed away so stopped. Trying to get back on to ss, day 2 & it's horrendous! I've still got 3 stone to lose.

I've got another 5 stone to lose, goal is by christmas. i WILL get there.
Already lost 4 stone in 15 weeks!
You'll lose 3 stone in just a few months :)

The study does say in this article that the risk is small...4 in every 10,000.

Here is the same article reprinted a couple of other times... by different sources.

Can Atkins diet raise heart attack risk for women? Eating high levels of protein can increase chance by a quarter | Mail Online

'Atkins'-Type Diets May Raise Risk of Heart Problems: Study - US News and World Report

Low Carbohydrate, High Protein Diets May Increase Cardiovascular Disease Risk - ABC News

[QUOTE]Although the study found an association between high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets and increased risk of cardiovascular problems, it did not prove a cause-and-effect relationship.[/QUOTE]

How Atkins died...

How Did Atkins Die - Death Of Dr. Robert Atkins

Yeah i was just going from what Daybreak directly said this morning, not any articles lol.

AnnieAnnie said:
Yeah carbs make me want to binge. I was on ss from Jan to May when my young sister unexpectedly passed away so stopped. Trying to get back on to ss, day 2 & it's horrendous! I've still got 3 stone to lose.

I'm on day 2 as well :) not actually feeling hungry at all which is good, roll on day 3! How u feeling? x

Am ok, I'd promised myself I'd never do ss again, as I'd stepped up to 810 before I lost my sister. But I've started comfort eating & refuse to put it on so doing few weeks on ss before stepping up again. It's all much easier after day 3!

AnnieAnnie said:
Am ok, I'd promised myself I'd never do ss again, as I'd stepped up to 810 before I lost my sister. But I've started comfort eating & refuse to put it on so doing few weeks on ss before stepping up again. It's all much easier after day 3!

I take my hat off to you Annie for trying to get back on it with all that you're going through. You're amazing and you will definitely meet goal - you can do it xx

Start: 17.12 Current: 15.4 Target: 10

Thanks, that's such a kind message. Comfort eating is no comfort at all & we want to try for a baby next month (this was planned months ago & I refuse to postpone) so need to get eating under control. Well done with your loss so far :)

I suspect that they are referring to more Atkins type diets - there's not much fat in CD products. All I know is that this is the only diet which has worked for me and we're not going to be on it forever. Whatever you seem to do, someone somewhere will find a piece of "research" saying it is going to kill you. I'd rather die slim than obese!

xSinead said:
After CD at Christmas i will be joining a weight watchers or slimming world group just to maintain my weight, i've already made the decision to cut out carbs though as its done me wonders so far.

That's what I'm going to do too. If I join with 7lbs to lose, once I'm at goal it's free with weight watchers to attend meetings and maintain! :)

Back