Open to both Teams The Recipe Challenge

Mumma K

Gold Member
Hello all you gorgeous team members on both teams
its Kals here
Rach and I are proud to bring to you
The Recipe Challenge....

This isn't just your everyday competion oh NO!!!
team honour is at stake here and not only that
there are Points to be had at the end of the month
to the Winners team :D
We are giving 4 points for the win
and 2 points for the runner up
Now in the event of a tie both teams will each recieve
the 4 points and share first place - thus that month there would be no runners up.

Rules of the competion are easy !
1 Devise your recipe using the ingredient of the month
2 Point your recipe per portion
3 Cook your recipe and take a picture for all to see
Viola!!!

If any team member would like to have a certain ingredient featured please feel free to PM me and let me know :D

OK Kals has walked to the fridge :eatdrink051:Opens up the door and dah dah!!!

This months Ingredient is the humble
TURKEY MINCE

last entry for the comp to be in no later than the 26th of July please!!!

Damn i want to do this! :D

Laughed so loud at Katie! Katie Katie Katie!

hey my misfortune is nothing to laugh at, your only laughin coz now you have a chance ;)

hehe

Get off my nelly you lezza ;)

Entry 1:

Turkey Moussaka

Recipe:

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500g lean minced turkey
100ml white wine
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground allspice
2 tsp oregano
bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
2 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
2 aubergines

Cheese sauce:
40g extra low fat marg
40g plain flour
450ml skimmed milk
40g parmesan, grated
50g gruyère cheese, grated
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk

Method:

Cook onion on a gentle heat until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.

Meanwhile cook the turkey mince over a fairly high heat until lightly browned. Once done, remove to a plate and deglaze the pan with a little of the white wine, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any sediment.

Stir the cinnamon, allspice, oregano, bay leaf and thyme into the onion mixture and cook for a minute or so, stirring. Add the cooked turkey and the reduced wine, along with the remaining wine and the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the turkey is completely tender and the sauce is slightly reduced.

Meanwhile, slice the aubergines into 1cm slices and salt - leave for about half an hour to remove the bitter juices. (know some people say you dont need to do this now but there is a significant difference in taste as have tried both ways - nicer if you salt them).

For the sauce, melt the marg in a non-stick pan and stir in the flour. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return the pan to the heat and cook for about 8mins, stirring continuously until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat again and stir in half of the Parmesan and half of the Gruyère until melted. Season if you need to and leave to cool a bit, then whisk in the egg and egg yolk.

Heat a large frying pan. Rinse the aubergine and pat dry with plenty of kitchen paper. Frylight the frying pan and fry the aubergine for 8-10 minutes until cooked through and lightly golden.

Preheat the oven to 180C. Spoon a third of the turkey mixture into the base of an ovenproof dish - take the bayleaf out. Cover with half the aubergine slices. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of the turkey mixture. Pour over the cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan and Gruyère on top and bake for 50-60 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.

When serving allow the moussaka to settle for 5 minutes before dishing it out.

Serves 4 people, 8 points per serving :)

Attachments

• 100_0070.jpg
    100_0070.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_0074.jpg
    100_0074.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 127
Oh my word well done on being the very first entry into the comp Rach
and it sure looks like it's going to take a lot of beating it looks absolutely wonderful

* my entry will make it's apperance next week it's still in the devising stage *

Entry 2:

Moroccan spiced turkey koftas

Ingredients

500g turkey mince
2 slices bread, blitzed into breadcrumbs
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp parsley
1 tbsp harissa paste
splash rosewater
2 lemons, juice and zest
2 tsp mint
pinch ground cinnamon
2 free-range eggs

For the tabbouleh

240g bulgar wheat, (dried weight) cooked according to instructions
1 cucumber, finely chopped
450g/1lb cherry tomatoes, quartered
6 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 lemons, zest and juice
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1 chilli, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped

For the sauce

1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
12 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika

Method:

For the koftas, blend the mince and breadcrumbs together in a food processor until combined.

Add the garlic, parsley, harissa paste, rosewater, lemon juice and zest, mint, cinnamon and eggs and blend until well combined.

Shape the mixture into balls - the mix should make about 16.

Stick these on a baking tray and put in the oven for around half an hour on 180C.

For the tabbouleh, mix all of the tabbouleh ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.

For the sauce, frylight a pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until softened. Add the tomato purée and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes, chilli and smoked paprika, bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the minutes.

Serve the koftas with a little sauce spooned over and the tabbouleh.

Serves 4, works out as 9 points per serving - if you remove the oil from the tabbouleh then its 8.

If like me, you use all your tomatoes in the sauce, have no cucumber or spring onions, you can make your tabbouleh differently with a couple of tsps of paprika and some roasted peppers which would be same points :D nicer with the proper ingredients in it though :)

Attachments

• CIMG2152.jpg
    CIMG2152.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 116
you mean in a pitta bread or has a pitta bread in it? you can have koftas in a pitta bread i would assume but for one im not a big pitta fan and would prefer something more filling for the points like tabbouleh or cous cous.

aaaaaaanyway..

Entry 3:

Turkey and Apple burgers with spicy salsa

250 g minced turkey
2 large clove garlic, crushed
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
1 apple, finely chopped (grated may work better)
2 tsp parsley, chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon, (optional)
2 tsp olive oil
freshly ground salt and black pepper
mixed free salad to serve it with

For the salsa:

1 onion, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1-2 green chillis, deseeded and finely sliced
1 tsp splenda
black pepper

soften the onion for both the salsa and the burgers, before removing a third and setting aside to cool. Add the tomatoes, chilli, splenda and seasoning, and simmer covered until soft. Once soft, stick in the fridge to cool.

While its cooling, mix the burger ingredients together and shape into two burgers. Place these on a grill rack on a medium heat for 8-10 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked.

Serve with slices of tomato and mixed salad with the salsa on top. Add a medium 65g bread bun for an extra 2 points if you like.

Each burger with salsa comes to 3 points.

Attachments

• food.jpg
    food.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 106
Entry 4:

Mince and onion pie (turkey style :D)

Ingredients

250g turkey mince
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large stick celery, finely chopped
15g chicken gravy granules
1/2 chicken stock cube
120g ready rolled shortcrust pastry
1 egg white

Method:

Preheat the oven to 160C.

Frylight a pan and add the carrot, onion and celery. Cook over a low heat until softened. Add the mince and stir until brown, making sure the mince breaks down evenly. Crumble the stock cube and add the dried granules and enough water to cover the mix. Bring to the boil then allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the gravy thickens nicely.

Pour the mix into an ovenproof dish. Take the pastry and roll to required size and lay over the top of the dish. Crimp round the edge with fingers / fork and wash with egg white. Stick in the oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.

Serves 2, 12 points per serving or 4 small portions for 6 points per serving (would need lots of free veg with it!)

going to see if i can tweak a pastry recipe to make homemade pastry with less calories / points and will be back with another attempt if i get chance :)

Attachments

• pieandpeas.jpg
    pieandpeas.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 105
LMAO! Matty bought them the other day.. he complained before that they were in all the pictures. Soon, i promise.. not sure what to have with them though, thats the thing! It'll probably end up being piri piri chicken and i'll stick some marinade on the corn on the cobs too, and have it with a jacket potato done properly in the oven :) x

Have finally got some recipes together. Hopefully the photos will come out ok.

Turkey Keema

250g turkey mince
1/2 finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1in piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
1tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
1tbsp korma curry paste
100ml chicken stock
100g peas, defrosted if frozen
100g tomatoes, cut into quarters
3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat, add the mince and cook for 10mins, stirring frequently until browned all over. Tip into a colander to allow any fat to drain off. Mist the same pan with low fat spray, add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened, adding a splash of water if it looks like it might burn.

Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds to the onion and cook for 3 minutes stirring all the time., Add the curry paste and cook for a further 2 mins. Return the mince to the pan and add the stock, peas and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Season and stir in the fresh coriander.

Serves 2 - 4 points per serving.

I had mine with 60g uncooked weight of basmati rice for a further 3 points

This is mild, replace korma paste with a stronger paste for more intense flavour

Last edited:
2nd recipe

Sticky sweet chilli turkey kofte

300g turkey mince
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp finely chopped lemon grass
1 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint and coriander
2 tbsp fish sauce
4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
lettuce leaves, sliced spring onion and chopped coriander to serve

In a large bowl, mix the turkey, shallots, garlic, lemon grass, cornflour, herbs and fish sauce. Shape into 12 balls

Fry in fry light sprayed pan for 5-6 mins, turning frequently. Brush with 2 tbsp of the chilli sauce and cook for a few minutes more

Serve on a bed of lettuce, sprinkle over sliced spring onions and coriander. Spoon over the remainder of the chilli sauce before serving.

Serves 2 - 4 pts per serving.

I had mine with 60g dry weight of basmati rice for an extra 3 points

PS Please can someone tell me how to add these photos as thumbnails

if you edit your posts in advanced mode, if you scroll down, underneath where you type your post there is a little attachment option - manage attachments. Click that, and a window will open where you can choose the files you want to upload. Select your file, press okay, click upload and wait for it to upload. Once its uploaded it will say something like current attachments and list the filename underneath it and you can then close that window and press reply / save changes or whatever :D x

Back