Opinions - leaving child in car & spare key..

I'm afraid I left both kid in the car whilst I poppd in places!! Must be a really bad mum!! It always drives me mad watching mums take whole car seats outt he car just to pay for the petrol. But that is not the point. You asked her not to, she still did. That is not on!! HAving said that, when my Mum looks after my chilren at my convenience, I do ahve to accept to a certain extent, that she will do things her way. I always ahve. And actually my kids know that there are differnet rules in my house to their Granny and Grandads, and that their may be slight differences on what is acceptable from each of us. They get that from a really early age. However, if I felt really strongly about something like that, I know they would respect that.

As for letting themselves in the ouse. That is just plain rude, and shows absolutely no respect whatsover! I think I would ahve come out of the bedroom with the rabbt still buzzing looking all shocked! That might stop her next time!! Or you and hubbie pretend you really are getting jiggy!!!

I'm afraid I left both kid in the car whilst I poppd in places!! Must be a really bad mum!! It always drives me mad watching mums take whole car seats outt he car just to pay for the petrol. But that is not the point. You asked her not to, she still did. That is not on!! HAving said that, when my Mum looks after my chilren at my convenience, I do ahve to accept to a certain extent, that she will do things her way. I always ahve. And actually my kids know that there are differnet rules in my house to their Granny and Grandads, and that their may be slight differences on what is acceptable from each of us. They get that from a really early age. However, if I felt really strongly about something like that, I know they would respect that.

As for letting themselves in the ouse. That is just plain rude, and shows absolutely no respect whatsover! I think I would ahve come out of the bedroom with the rabbt still buzzing looking all shocked! That might stop her next time!! Or you and hubbie pretend you really are getting jiggy!!!

That made me laugh re: the rabbit good plan

No you're certainly not being unreasonable!!
What is it about MIL's? I'm currently seriously considering getting a lock for my bedroom door for when I'm out (she looks after my 2 2 days a week) as she constantly goes in my bedroom even when I've shut the door. She also puts my washing on (despite hubs telling her not to) I just don't like her rummaging through my dirty knickers!
As for the car thing... I would never leave mine. I've been known to sit in my car on the drive for an hour while they sleep ad they would never go back down if I took them indoors!

If your dh is anything like mine hes too spineless to say anything and risk upsetting his mum!

ha ha some of the replies have made me laugh, but it is a really serious matter. i agree with putting a bolt on the door for when you are indoors.
to be honest with regards to her leaving your DS in the car, i wouldnt give a monkey who i upset, doesnt she read the newspapers, didnt she read about Maddy McCann. It only takes a second. and believe me if my hubby didnt back me up, i wouldnt care how much i loved him, if it was a choice between him and my sons' he would be out on his backside.

Have to say that my parents have had my son every weekend since he was 10 weeks old. I f I ever found out that they were leaving him alone in the car it would be his last visit. You have no idea what a child can get up to when left alone in a car.

If you don't want anyconfrontation over the key just say you have lost your key and need hers back.

Good luck x

My family always walk in, in fact so do the neighbours, they also come and get the pooch if i've popped out for a few hours, i just have to make sure i've not left any dirty knickers lying round mind ;)
Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but then that is just me, doesn't mean it is right for everyone.

Leaving the baby in the car?? Why are you still letting her look after the baby if she does things like this?

erm can i admit that i KNOW this works???:eek: not the rabbit part (i didn't wanna give her a heart attack) but MY mum has a spare key and keep using it. i have always let my self in to my parents house using the same key i was given at 15, so i stopped and explained that as i didn't live there anymore things where different. this lead to big "this is always you home" discussion so sometimes i do but after asking her for the 1000,000,000 time not to just walk in case she disturbed me i thought sod it, told my then BF who thought it was a hoot and she has not let her self in since:D

as every1 has said its your child she has to respect her wishes. i stopped taking my children round to my parents house (long story why). but when faced with the choice of doing as i asked or not seeing their grandchild.......well there is no choice really!

but its not that easy for every one, you do whats best for you and your children. what will cause you the most stress?? the worries every time she sees him or the few days awkwardness and a possible grumpy oh?
xxx

H has had another word with her about leaving son in the car. He's also gonna get the key of her, when I don't know but if it's not in next day or so I'll get it back & she won't like what I've to say...

Take no prisoners!! :D I didn't explain to my MIL what peeved me for years, about certain things she did, and when I did, she stopped, and I was left thinking - oh bugger why didn't I do that 5 yrs ago? - LOL

Back