Original OSTRICH tonight! (SCAAARED!)

Ostrich was absolutely delicious by the way! I really recommend all you red day lovers get some, it's SUCH a treat!

So glad you enjoyed it, well done for trying something new. X

ooh i have been watching this thread all day-saw the ostrich in aldi the other day ( i too was an aldi virgin until last week tracey, and whilst i dont think i'd manage a full weekly shop there it was brill!! some different to usual things and VERY reasonably priced) and was curios, think i might go get some now!! Saw the lamb shanks too mmmmmmm!

Glad that the ostrich was good - what did you do with it ? I've got some for tonight so looking for ideas..

MommyB - I agree, although I did manage to spend £57...so I must have got something... LOL
The one thing that I found, or rather didn't find if you catch my drift, was that I couldnt get everything...

Some of the free stuff on Green days I couldn't find, and they didn't have the all the meat stuff either - they do have a wide selection of stuff but I wasn't too sure if it was free or not so took a wide berth.

I bought the kids some toothpaste which they both loved, and I even bought Loo roll... I'll report back on that one later !!!!

Looking forward to the tips on the ostrich

Tracy

I just fried it in frylight. During frying I ground some BBQ spices over it using a BBQ spice grinder that has a mix of coriander, cumin, black peppercorns and sea salt grains in it.

Got about 5 medallions in the pack, 2 big ones, 3 smaller ones. Did it for about 4-5 mins each side, turned out really moist, juicy and medium.

Made it with SW cajun wedges, which I make just like chips, only I cut them into bigger chunks, parboil then whack in the oven with mushrooms and chopped red onion. I squirt the whole lot with frylight then sprinkly cajun seasoning over the top. Squirt with frylight again and whack in the oven for half an hour.

Serve with side salad of your choice. OH likes grated cheese on his wedges too, but I gave this a swerve.

hehe I was going to put pictures up but I forgot and it all disappeared before I got a chance!

I will make it again and def post the pics though!

xxx

Yeah, kind of a meatier turkey thigh meat, it's a very red meat. But very very lean and very low in calories.

Thank you so much for recommending this... and for making me try Aldi

We had the ostrich last night with a big salad and it was brilliant - we both like our steaks rare so I only did it a couple of mins a side and it was really tasty... in fact I would go so far as to say that it was better than steak..

Apologies I didn't take photos, in fact I don't even know where my camera is...but just try it for yourselves - it was deeeelish

Tracy

It's really really tasty isn't it? I am definitely getting it again. So glad you enjoyed it too! :D

I am going tonight. You've made me have a hankering for ostrich! :D

And if anyone's thinking of trying the lamb shanks, I can highly recommend them - they're stinkingly gorgeous!!!

Back