OT - Scalp psoriasis!!

JaxieD

Silver Member
:sigh:Hi peeps,

I suffer from a patch of psoriasis on the back of my scalp and in one ear (?!). I have tried the usual Betnovate, Dovonex and Dermovate (which was great but not allowed long term) I have also used Coal Tar shampoos which just made it worse (T-Gel) and other natural shampoos. It's really driving me mad and is embarrassing to have this constant snow shower on my shoulder! Was just wondering if any of you have tried other medicines/shampoos which have been good. It seems that the psoriasis becomes immune to the medication after a while:cry:

Hope you can help - I only started getting it 3 years ago and don't know why:mad:

Hi hun, i have betnavate from the docs but like you say you cant use it all the time, last time my head started to get sore I tried asdas medicated shampoo (same as vosene I think) and it seemed to do the trick for me, hope you get sorted soon hun it bloomin horrible.xx

Hi there. I've had outbreaks of Psoriasis on and off since I was 11, so 19 years (eeeek), so I know a fair bit about it ;)
There are 2 types...one is stress related and one is a result of a streptacoccal (sp?) bacteria in your body.
My first outbreak which literally covered me head to toe at the age of 11 was stress related.....I was being bullied. I was admitted to hospital in the end for intensive UV treatment, as the creams etc were not working. Got a wicked suntan on the NHS ;)
I've had literally every lotion/potion possible since then, and touching wood the last time I had it was when I was pregnant 5 years ago, although as you say, the scalp area is still a bit iffy. I have to admit that I veer away from the usual creams etc now as my skin is wasted, the slightest scratch scars now as the steroids creams have thinned my skin loads.
But, back to the original question....have you tried the 'Snake Oil' bar from Lush? We have one but as my hair is really thick I have never used it. Hubby has a very dry/flaky scalp and he swears by it, so may be worth looking in to?

Also..completely empathise with you. I had a nasty outbreak around our wedding day, and we moved straight after, I had to meet new people. Luckily, my face was pretty clear, but my head and hands were awful. People wouldn't shake my hand, cashiers in shops grimaced when they saw the money in my scaly hands, and whenever I leaned forward half my scalp fell off. It was awful, we went out to dinner with all of Hubby's colleagues and their wives and I was utterly humiliated. :(

Hi hun, my daughter has this on her scalp and can get quite bad at times. The first thing that really helped after, like you, having tried other medications and shampoos, was Cocois Oil - this was prescribed by the doctor as it costs about £20 to buy over the counter but is definitely worth it if you can't get it prescribed. Good luck hun xxx

I have the same as you on my scalp. I alternate between betnovate and antibiotics from the doctor. X

Hi, I've suffered with psoriasis since I was a girl, luckily I'm on an off period, only have a couple of small patches on my legs and elbows now. I did used to get it really badly in my hair, one of the things I found was using coconut oil to soften it helped. It didn't make it go, but it did ease it some. The best thing I used was polytar, which I had prescribed from the doctor.

cant help with anywhere on the head... altho i have fairly sensitive scalp the only shampoo i can use is sunsily anti itch. everything else just irritates my head

for skin like hands.. my sister and my mum have it quite bad.. and they use something call 'neem' ... a cream you put on and it clears it right up. its non perscription but i dont think its cheap. prob a tenner or something for a small tub. my sister swears by it!

i suffer from psorisis as well i find that olive oil thats the cooking one massage into scalp about a few hours before and wash with mild shampoo ie baby shampoo asi find that medicated shapoos for scalp conditions is to harsh
find that heels and releaves the itching of scalp but psorisi is just one of those things you got to put up with

Polytar works for me costs about £8 for a large bottle - stinks but after a couple of washes my scalp calms down - stress sets me off and polytar cools me down!

:sigh:Hi peeps,

I suffer from a patch of psoriasis on the back of my scalp and in one ear (?!). I have tried the usual Betnovate, Dovonex and Dermovate (which was great but not allowed long term) I have also used Coal Tar shampoos which just made it worse (T-Gel) and other natural shampoos. It's really driving me mad and is embarrassing to have this constant snow shower on my shoulder! Was just wondering if any of you have tried other medicines/shampoos which have been good. It seems that the psoriasis becomes immune to the medication after a while:cry:

Hope you can help - I only started getting it 3 years ago and don't know why:mad:

I have tried Nizoral (Ketoconazole) it is good. I get it on prescription from my GP.

I found that after a few weeks of SS and the shampoo my scalp condition improved. I think mine is not help by wheat, yeast and diary product and it took trying CD to find this out.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions ladies!!:D You have given me a few things to try and i hope at least one of them will help. It's particularly bad at present:(

Hey hey :)

Right, i get hellish skin issues and am allergic to EVERYTHING (no joke!) and i often do the following:

**get my hair wet and comb it through thoroughly
**Absolutely cover my head in Vaseline dermacare mosituriser (plain one, white bottle blue lid)
**Put a plastic bag over my head to cover my hair and tie it up so that it forms a seal around my head (VERY sexy look)
**Relax in a very hot steamy bath for an hour
**Rinse hair and let it dry naturally

This makes your hair disgustingly greasy for a few hours so do it at night with an old pillow case but by god does it work a freaking charm. It's amazing :) I have a full head of massive curls and this sorts my scalp and hair out, and to this day ive never had a split end and have been doing the plastic bag/moisturiser thing since i was 14 (am now 23)

Here's my hair the day after using vasoline dermacare to solve my scalp:
n223600021_2684286_2518.jpg

:DThanks BG!! Your hair is beeeeauuutiful!! Shall probably give OH fright of his life when i try that one but am willing to try anything to alleviate the symptoms:sigh:

Hiya,

Me too has had Psoriasis since I was young, Mine is very much stress related, Its broke out in several parts on my head at the mo as I'm a little stressed, I use betnovate, but have used so many treatments in the past, they seem to clear then come back regardless so its just one of those things you gotta live with.

I remember when I was training as a Hairdresser in the salon, 1 old lady came in with psoriasis, I will never forget her, she had the worst cause I have EVER seen, she had a thick white crust all over her head, she had very short hair too, it looked like she had a pure white, very thick, flaky scalp, even thou her hair used to be just freshly washed and set, the scales were just all over her hair, I felt so sorry for her. :cry:

Its a awful thing especially when its on the body & its noticeable. Luckily I only get a small patch on my knee now and again..

xx

Back