Pain at the bottom of my back

lighterlifeclaire

Silver Member
Hi everyone :wave_cry:

Well... its been bugging me for about a week now.. and I thought I'd just ask around :eek:

I have NEVER had this problem before, but recently (like I'd say its been about a week, maybe slightly longer) if I sit up on a chair or on my bed or whatever... I get this sharp pain in the bottom of my back - its as though I'm sat on a bone or something... well I don't actually know wot it is... but thats the only way I can describe it.

I get uncumfy and have to shuffle or slump in the chair so that I'm not sat on the bone (its like the bottom of my spine???)

Has anyone else experienced this...? I'm sure its not an effect of the diet... but then I'm also thinkin it can't be all the weight which is on the bone cos otherwise I would have had it before???

Hmm... any ideas Dr Miniminers :rolleyes:

I know it sounds stupid- but could it be cos you have less fat cushioning you? does that make sense?
Cos iv certainly noticed that!
Maybe its worse than that though?
xxx

I did kinda think that... I googled it just now and sumfin called "Coccydynia" came up... and said u get pain when u sit down?!!!!!

I don't think its anything serious... but I can actually feel that little bone sticking out at the top of my butt cheeks lol :eek:

ouch!
I dont know what to suggest- hope someone does soon :)
feel better mate xxxx

It feels like the bottom of your spine because it is the bottom of your spine - your coccyx. As Kellie says, it's just not cushioned as much. I'd suggest a cushion. Coccydynia is just pain in the coccyx - it's usually more constant though.

Ah... lol hmm...

I'm sat on my bed so thought it wud be cushioned lol

its ok, im guna take sum painkillers and see how it goes... :rolleyes:

Not sure what to say claire, dont know whether to be happy that you can feel you Cockix or sad because it hurts.:D:D

Seriously hope its not too uncomfortable.:)

Claire, if the pain persists, see your doc. And if you find that even touching the skin is painful....defiantely see your doc.

I had whatyou are descrining a couple of years ago. Started out as an achy back, by my tail bone. It got worse. I could not sit confomrtably - had to keep shifting position. Finally came home and lay on my stomach - sitting in anything or my back/bum touching anything hurt. My husbamd came home, found me in tears. He pulled the sheets back and ever so softly stroked the small of my back, and I about went through the ceiling - just his touch was excrutiating, unlike any pain I have ever felt.

I saw the doc - what it was, was very rare....it was a Pilonidal Cyst - which was an ingorwn hair internal, at the base of the tailbone - the coccyx. It was very rare. And it was VERY painful. Had to be on Tramadol for several days and really suffered.

So - don't want to scare you - but losing weight will not cause you to be in pain when you sit, certainly no more the a bit of shifting about to find some cushion somewhere - but if it is REAL pain - see your doc and get checked out. I wished I had before it got that bad - could have been on antibiotics earlier on. So just beware!!

xx

You might need a bit of advice from a physio if it doesn't get better - it might be the way you sit which is putting pressure through the little bone (it's only little, like the tip of your finger). My advice would be to take anti-inflammatories for a couple of days and see how it goes, if it's no better see your GP. Coccydynia can be difficult to treat, but looking at your posture in your avatar I would hazard a guess that you probably do sit with your weight going through that bone.

Some people have found that sitting on a rubber ring can be helpful, cos it takes the pressure off!

Claire, if the pain persists, see your doc. And if you find that even touching the skin is painful....defiantely see your doc.

I had whatyou are descrining a couple of years ago. Started out as an achy back, by my tail bone. It got worse. I could not sit confomrtably - had to keep shifting position. Finally came home and lay on my stomach - sitting in anything or my back/bum touching anything hurt. My husbamd came home, found me in tears. He pulled the sheets back and ever so softly stroked the small of my back, and I about went through the ceiling - just his touch was excrutiating, unlike any pain I have ever felt.

I saw the doc - what it was, was very rare....it was a Pilonidal Cyst - which was an ingorwn hair internal, at the base of the tailbone - the coccyx. It was very rare. And it was VERY painful. Had to be on Tramadol for several days and really suffered.

So - don't want to scare you - but losing weight will not cause you to be in pain when you sit, certainly no more the a bit of shifting about to find some cushion somewhere - but if it is REAL pain - see your doc and get checked out. I wished I had before it got that bad - could have been on antibiotics earlier on. So just beware!!

xx

Oh lordy :eek: ... gunna have sum of the painkillers that I have left over from my gall bladder probs :rolleyes: and if it don't improve I will go docs later in the week...

... Am pretty sure ive never felt the bone before though... tis weird...:confused:

I've struggled with pain since I've lost weight but it's more in my left bum cheek!! Only happens when I sit for a while but man it does hurt... my doc told me not to worry, just my body not having as much of a cushion but yours sounds very different. If it continues to hurt, I'd just get ya doc to check it out for you to be on the safe side :)

Oh lordy :eek: ... gunna have sum of the painkillers that I have left over from my gall bladder probs :rolleyes: and if it don't improve I will go docs later in the week...

... Am pretty sure ive never felt the bone before though... tis weird...:confused:

It's probably not that Claire - but I wanted to tell youabout it in case the pain persists, or your skin gets sensitive. As said - it is very rare - but just keep an eye on it.

I wouldn't think you would need to ptake pain meds if it were just from having less padding. So don't suffer too long. :)

xx

Think you are best keeping an eye on it Claire (can you see your ass????) and seeing the doctor if it does persist.

I've got the losing weight pain of feeling bones etc when I've been sat for a while but that's just due to lack of padding - yours sounds different to that.

Back