1. MiniMins members lost 144 Stone in January! Why not join in the conversation today?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi Guest, let me just say that you are awesome for signing up to MiniMins. Your account is now validated. Your first few posts will be moderated. This is mainly to prevent spam showing on our forum. Dont worry we will get to your post most likely within 30 minutes between 8am and 11pm. Thanks again!
    Dismiss Notice

Pasta sauce...

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ChubLock, 13 January 2008 Social URL.

1. ChubLock

ChubLock Well-Known Member

How do I make my own?

Sounds simple I know...:eek:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. Lola

Lola Regular Member

I make mine with a tin of tomatoes, (or sometimes passata sauce) tomato puree, and mixed herbs or oregano, and salt and pepper. Just chuck it all in :D

I add peppers, onions, and mushrooms to make it nicer and more filling. All no points! :D

4. ChubLock

ChubLock Well-Known Member

Fab! Thank you :)

5. SammyMac

SammyMac Well-Known Member

Hi

Like Lola above i make my own with tinned tomatoes, and add loads veg - onions, peppers, mushrooms to it i usually add a couple tsp Bouillon powder and to liven up a bit i add just a level tsp Pataks curry paste (Madras with chilli & cumin). Yum!

Also try a tblsp red pesto on your cooked pasta - v. nice

6. 10stonesize10

10stonesize10 Member

I make mine with a tin of tomatoes,onion and garlic
    and a handful of fresh basil at the end
    its the best.

7. crimson_noir

crimson_noir Well-Known Member

Oxo make an Italian stock cube which I find works well in a tomato sauce, if you find the sauce tastes not quite right (I think the word maybe tart?) you can add a sprinkling of sugar or lemon juice.

8. Maffie

Maffie Well-Known Member

I dice red onion, garlic and chilli sweat these off add passta sauce, tomato puree and peppers. I also added oregano (great herb with tomatos. Cook for 20 minutes then blend adding a handful of parsley in at the last minute of cooking.

Can then be used alone or add extra veg for a chunky sauce. Freezable too.

9. chocolatecat

chocolatecat One day at a time :)

I make mine with

1-2 cloves garlic grated
    1 jar passata
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    herbs of your choice (just ordinary dried mixed herbs works for me)
    tsp sugar
    2 tbsp tomato puree

et voila!

This goes a very long way as I find if you use a jar, you use far too much sauce.

hth :D

10. Lynsey

Lynsey It Girl, Rag Doll

Tin of chopped tomatoes (or 4 or 5 of fresh ones)
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic (depending on your taste)
    handful of fresh basil (or a teaspoon of dried)
    a red pepper
    a teaspoon of tomato puree
    a splash of lemon juice
    salt and pepper

i just shove all that in a blender and its really nice

oregano also works nice in addition to the basil!

in fact.... im going to have pasta tonight, it's made me hungry haha!

:)

Last edited: 12 June 2009
  11. Paisley88

Paisley88 Well-Known Member

Few Ideas

• Passata sauce with onions, grated carrots (for texture). But make sure you cook the passata quite well, maybea low simmer for 5 mins or so, to take the raw taste away from the tomatoes.
    • Greek Yoghurt with cucumber and mint sauce and lettuce makes a really nice pasta salad.
    Hope this helps.

Xx

12. Iris

Iris Well-Known Member

For extra va-va-voom in the flavour department, make sure you brown your mince (if using) in small batches in a separate pan so you get good colour on it and the sugars in it start to caramelise. Then de-glaze that pan with a good glug of red wine and add the lot to your sauce. Really boosts the flavour.

A very simple vegetarian pasta sauce is chopping up a load of veggies - carrots, plum tomatoes, red onions, leeks, red peppers and adding enough boiling water (with a spoon of vegetable bouillon) to cover them, then letting them simmer over a low heat for about 2 hours until you have what's basically a thick vegetable jam. Incredibly sweet and lusicious, really lovely with pasta.