Pasta

mia_angel

Silver Member
How much pasta do you normally have for a meal and do you use brown?

Does it make a difference if you brown carbs....

I normally have about 75g of pasta, I love brown but nobody else in the family does so I always end up having normal. Not sure if it makes a difference or not though xx

I love my pasta and usually have about 100g to 125g. Brown pasta fills you up for longer than the white stuff so I try to use that where I can. But sometimes if there is a good offer on the white pasta I just go for that.

I have no idea on weight of pasta, as I just chuck mine in and any left over comes in handy for salads etc the next day.

I pretty much always use wholegrain pasta where possible (much healthier for you, especially your digestive system). Occasionally I use the tricoloured stuff.

Without a doubt go for 'brown everytime'. Remember 'brown is best!' This is also applicable to bread and rice etc.

Basically what happens is that the white rice/bread/pasta etc are full of calories while being devoid of nutritional values and fibre. Such products contain sweetners, preservatives and other unhealthy additives.

The are highly refined and processed which causes them to lose most of their nutritional value and fibre. Thanks to this processing and additives unfortunately they become temptingly tasty! However they can create dramatic surges in insulin levels which may result in overworking your pancreas, storage of fat, diabetes, heart disease, overweight and even obesity problems. It is more important than we realise to choose brown over white.

I hope that helps.

A great reply, and worth bearing in mind for anyone following a healthy eating plan.

I did a lot of research into this when diagnosed with PCOS and it is so true that we should all be eating wholegrain instead of the heavily processed "white" carbs were possible.

I really like brown rice and pasta now. It has more flavour and it's more filling. The rest of the family won't eat it so I cook mine in a separate pan.

I usually measure out about 100g of pasta unless I'm having it with a really meaty sauce, in which case 75-80g. (I know with SW you don't have to weigh - but I always accidentally cook way too much if I don't weigh out my pasta/rice!)

I have both wholewheat and white pasta in my cupboard and eat whichever I fancy as I like the taste of both, though I am trying to eat more wholewheat as it's better for you and I'm finding it fills me up more than white as well - bonus!

Pasta is my favourite, I use brown for everything except for pasta and pesto.

I always weigh it because I became sick of sometimes having hardly any and sometimes enough to feed an army. If it is with a sauce (mediterranean veg or bolognaise for example) then I have 75g.

If it is with pesto....120g white pasta. Oh I wish I was running enough miles to eat this every day for lunch again :(

I don't ever weigh my pasta. I usually use the tricolour for pasta shapes, although I am trying to have more wholemeal pasta, like Britmum I have PCOS so unrefined pasta/rice is supposed to be better for you.

I usually weigh my mine only because I'm really not very good judging dry weight against cooked weight.

To night was the first time I didn't weigh it and have loads for lunch tomorrow. I'll eat what I want then bin the rest.

As for brown/white pasta I always have brown. Hubby is usually fussy when it comes to wholemeal but he even admitted that you can't tell the difference.

Hi there i use the cheapest when on a tight buget so thats normally tesco value white pasta quills when people say 75g is that dry weight or cooked plse

Thanks all, i only do one green day a week and usually have brown carbs..i missed having some white pasta after 6 weeks, so had 100g today with tuna, was really nice

Chocaslim, the weights I mentioned are dried weight - I suspect everyone else's are too :)

I use wholemeal organic pasta about 125g for 2 people. but i us white pasta for lasagne. definately think the wholemeal is better and keeps u full for longer too

brown spagetti is the sutff but general wholemeal pasta mings so stick with the white if i'm not having spagetti. Brown rice is like chewing a sweaty foot, though j'adore wild rice(though not checked where it lays on sw). I dont eat a lot of the carb heaving things like pasta, rice and potatoes(even though i'm green) so when i do have em i like them to be things i like :D

Back