PE experience put you off exercise for life?

equi

Just saw on Loose Women that apparently PE in school puts you off exercise later in life. What do you think?

Personally, i was never good a PE because i was so unfit. I was never picked for teams cause i wasn't very popular and i was always last in the class. The only thing i was quite good at was badminton and swimming so i still enjoy that, but i hate everything else.

I refuse to this day to think about netball or anything even though i rather enjoyed it. I just feel so horrible even contemplating it and feel like i would be the fat unpopular one again.

It put me off for years, I wouldn't exercise cos I thought people would laugh like they did in PE. I've started swimming though and walking/jogging. Still won't go a gym though.

Yeah, i went to a gym once and saw a few people from school and i felt so horrible i tried to stay out of the way so yes i agree with you there!

I hated pe mainly because my mum couldn't afford decent trainers etc to keep up with trends.
I do more exercise now than ever before but it's taken me 13 years to do it xx

I hated PE because right from the start you could see the PE teachers favoured the more athletic girls who were good at sports and they always looked exasperated at the overweight kids or the ones who lacked skill. If a poor performer did do well, they were often patronising / shocked. :( It was rather regimented in the younger years but got better.

At first the sports were so boring. Netball and hockey didn't appeal. And gym / dance especially didn't when you were tall AND overweight. Things got cooler as I got older, more options to choose what you wanted out of tennis, badminton, athletics, swimming, football etc. and the whole thing became less cliche. By sixth form we could work out in the newly built gym or even go bowling. (A little sedentary but hey ;)). The point being, they were trying to reach out to everyone and improve the conditions.

We didn't have to use the showers, so whilst a lil' smelly, the changing rooms weren't too horrific.
And the PE uniforms got cooler as I got older. Started off with netball skirt and knickers and the school had their own tracksuit, fleeces and polo shirts by the end, which were nice.

As much as it's good to work as a team, I love performing on my own. Swimming, zumba, aerobics, jogging etc. And it would be better if kids more suited to this were allowed to try different sports out and excel, rather than being forced to wield equipment liable to do more harm than good to the rest of the team. ;)

I got out of PE as much as humanly possible expect when they had the trampoline out I loved those

I got out of PE as much as humanly possible expect when they had the trampoline out I loved those

I was the same, I had more "sick notes" off my mum than I actually participated. Only time I did join in was when it was Trampoline (until one of the bullies made a snide comment about me breaking the trampoline on the seat drops then I wouldn't do it anymore) or badminton.

I always hated PE, I either "got a headache" just before or made sure I arrived early and hid the spare kit in the showers (why they kept it out of the office I don't know) and what a shame I had forgotten my kit so couldn't participate.

I was always really self conscious and although I would like to do more exercise and do kinda enjoy going to the gym I always feel exactly the same as I did back in school

I hated PE and it put me off exercise for years, I felt like the teachers got some form of sadistic good feeling out of making me jog 3miles every Friday afternoon and would make anyone who stopped running start again. I now love exercise and look forward to days when I am at the gym. I find it different when you are able to do things at your own pace, without feeling pressurised because you are last place (or one of the last), nobody at the gym really cares about anybody else they are busy getting on with what they are doing - people are willing to help you out if you ask for help as well, at least at my local gym anyway :p

I never did P.E in school because I was so depressed about my body and the worry that the other girls would laugh at me. I didn't want to get changed in front of other people or take part in the sports so I would do extra art instead. It didn't help either that I HATE sports with a passion. When I was about 15 or 16 years old I had a kick ass figure and weighed about 8 and a half stone. This was cuz I was eating healthily and doing my own little exercises at home to stay fit and healthy and I was quite happy..
Jump forward a couple of years and a VERY bad breakup with a VERY bad boyfriend and I went from not eating at all and losing a bunch more weight to eating crap and not leaving the house and gaining a bunch of weight. I seemed to stick at about 126 pounds from then on but once the scales started to creep higher and higher I decided I couldn't let myself get big cuz I would feel as low about myself as I did when I was a kid in highschool..

I'm another one who didn't enjoy PE at school - mainly down to the short skirt and navy blue knickers we had to wear. Liked netball, but hated being one of the last always picked for the teams, and hated hockey as didn't like running. No at the school where I teach, students use the gym, do dance and recently have been learning boxercise - the girls love it.

Back