Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

PEDOMETER INCENTIVE!

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by girlygirl1, 9 March 2011 Social URL.

1. girlygirl1

girlygirl1 Banned

Hi gang.

A couple of years back I bought a pedometer to check how many steps a day I was managing. It was an eye-opener because on university days I would do at least 14,000-15,000 and on stay at home days less than a fifth of this total!

Yesterday I dug the poor thing out of a drawer and put it in my cardi pocket. Total for yesterday - uni morning and a walk back from town - 14,778 before I stopped counting.

Today I am at home and I did a quick 1,000 jog-on-the-spot before brekkie. I will try to do at least six thousand daily whilst at home, and more if possible.

I think the pedometer is a great tool to encourage more walking which can only be a good thing!

UPDATE TODAY:

I have just completed the second of two short but brisk TV jogging sessions. Step count so far - over 3,000. The Governmental official advice a couple of years back was a minimum of 2,000 steps daily. Now it is 10,000 but any extra steps are worthwhile.

I am gonna keep this pedometer on my person most of the time, most days!

Last edited: 9 March 2011
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. bajoleth

bajoleth Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9lb(18.5%)
    Diet:
    JUDDD
    I am going to get one of those, the only exercise I do is taking the kids to school in the morning, it does involve an uphill 3/4 mile trek home pushing the baby in her not so light pram, so better than nothing;)

4. pd7707

pd7707 Full Member

Start Weight:
    60kg
    Current Weight:
    60kg
    Goal Weight:
    53kg
    Lost(%):
    0kg(0%)
    Diet:
    atkins
    good idea. my only exercise is 10 mins walking to the office in the morning and then back home. shame. i could do much more actually.i will buy one pedometer tomorrow :)

5. *Michael*

*Michael* Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st8lb(25.13%)
    Diet:
    Low carb, now calorie counting
    That sound a good idea. I'm thinking about starting up jogging/slow running (haha!) and want something to track my progress.

Any pedometer recommendations?

6. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.27%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and MFP
    There's an app for that :)

7. *Michael*

*Michael* Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st8lb(25.13%)
    Diet:
    Haha true. I've always been a bit dubious about taking my iphone out whilst running etc in case I dropped it.

Ps. Did you manage to fix your 3GS?

8. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.27%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and MFP
    Nooo wahhh - in the end I took it to the Genius bar where they figured out that it was cream crackered and organised a replacement, pick it up tomorrow. £139, not bad I thought - and can flog it on eBay for more once the 5 is out :)

9. *Michael*

*Michael* Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st8lb(25.13%)
    Diet:
    Bummer :( Ah well, at least you've got a working PORTAL TO THE INTERNET again tho. :)

10. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.27%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and MFP
    Tell me about it - everyone else in Brum was googling and posting like mad and I had a clucky old Samsung :( And have realised that my addiction to Rise of Atlantis has taken hold bigtime - will have to have a marathon sesh once I synch the new one tomorrow :)

11. girlygirl1

girlygirl1 Banned

Back to yet again sing the praises of the humble pedometer. I have literally walked miles today, because I can now judge fairly accurately the number of steps from, say, university to my house. And how many steps I rack up by jogging on the spot in front of the TV for twenty to thirty minutes!

Today alas I lost my precious wee pedometer. At £6.99 from amazon it was not a fancy one - no calories or stride calculations (didn't need those, anyway) - but it worked a treat and has encouraged me to walk and walk. Tonight, as soon as I got home, I ordered another exactly the same!

Dr. Atkins himself said, 'exercise is non-negotiable'. The beauty of walking is that it is free and very easy to do. I found-out online that if you jog or very briskly walk your daily 10,000 steps you burn off far more calories than you would walking at a leisurely or medium pace.
    So you could do 6,000 steps perhaps at a jogging pace and gain even more calorie burning and aerobic benefit than walking the full 10,000.

I totally recommend a basic pedometer. I now think about the real, measurable benefits of walking more and will mostly choose to walk rather than take the bus - even when it is raining!

12. girlygirl1

girlygirl1 Banned

The replacement, identical Sportline Step and Distance Pedometer arrived this morning. Full marks to amazon.co.uk for superfast delivery.

Oh - and it does calculate stride length!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.