Personal Q?

Army-wife

Hi all.

Just a quick question about "time of the month", so men.. click off :)

I had the contraceptive injection back in October 2008, only the once, it was supposed to last 3 months in my system before i had to go and have my second injection. It has now been over 2 and a half years since i had that one injection, and since haven't had a period at all. I've had the smallest amount of "spotting" that has lasted for about an hour, for one day. Within the last 2 and a half years, i have only had that two or three times. Also, since having the injection, it was when i really starting pilling on the pounds, and have gained about 6 stone within that time. I guess my question is -- Is this normal? I have heard that gaining weight can have a dramatic affect on your period - and some people completely lose it for a while. I have seen a doctor, and she is doing tests, but it would be good to hear if any other ladies have had the same problem, or have experienced something close? Thanks.

I have the implant, and I know that's different as I still have it so it's still in my system, but I do get completely random periods, sometimes go without for 2 or 3 months, sometimes have 2 in a month! I think its just hormonal and wouldn't worry.

One thing I will say is that on CD periods get messed up even more, I have much more periods on CD! So you might find it comes back after being on CD for a month or so!

Also the weight gain thing, my dr said can't be attributed to injection/pill/implant but those things just may raise your hunger levels slightly, but if you eat the same you won't gain weight. (I know you gained weight, maybe you just didn't realise you were eating more and getting hungrier) So if you ever consider getting similar contraception again, don't worry about weight gain as long as you continue being on CD or eating healthily etc!

Good luck with your tests, sorry if I wasn't any help! xx

i had the norplant implant ( 6 rods shaped like a fan) back in 1993 after having my youngest son.
until then my periods were pretty much consistant but from the day i had the implant put in it was a nightmare. i was on a solid period for 13 months, then had no bleed whatsoever for 18 months and then it was very unpredictable.
i tolerated this but then asked for it to be removed after 4 years as i wanted to have a third child at that point.
this wasnt to be.
when they removed the implant they could only find 5 of the 6 rods and to this day i still have a stray one in my arm somewhere (i was assured it was now useless and would do nothing on its own)
after having the removal i bled for 6 months and it was so bad i ended up on constant iron tablets.
my periods were still very erratic. i would bleed for anywhere from 3days to 6 months and then nothing for up to 2 years.
then, 3 years ago, nothing, i havent had a period since and obviously have never managed to conceive. :cry:
so we have tried for 14 years now for another child and i have had a void in my life ever since. a hole i just cant fill.
i was diagnosed with borderline PCOS about 10 years ago although the scan showed no visible cysts on the ovaries but the hormones were consistant with PCOS.
i was referred to the fertility clinic where i was told they wont help me unless i lose lots of weight.
u would think that would make me lose weight wouldnt u...... well in fact it caused me to gain more is anything. i plummeted into depression and ate for comfort, accepting the fact that my body seems to be fit for nothing nowadays.
i am now almost 39 and getting to the age where i often wonder if it is even still possible to kick start my periods again with weight loss and even if i do... will i be able to conceive? who knows.
i just cant think that i can never have another child..... as long as i have hope i have a chance, albeit a small chance.

ask for dianette (the pill) it doesn't put on weight and also helps with unwanted hair growth and acne - usually prescribed for women who have PCOS. But i'm sure it can be prescribed if you are obese. Worth asking your GP.

Thank you, i will ask for the pill - i will give it ago for a while as me and my husband have been trying to get pregnant again for over a year now - i think the reason i am still yet to be pregnant again is because of my weight and lack of period's, so the pill may work wonders.

Cheryl, thank you for sharing your story, as bad as it seems its helped me realise that i need to lose weight and try and get myself as fit as i can so if that was to happen to me, i could control it better with less weight on me.

Thank you, i will ask for the pill - i will give it ago for a while as me and my husband have been trying to get pregnant again for over a year now - i think the reason i am still yet to be pregnant again is because of my weight and lack of period's, so the pill may work wonders.

Cheryl, thank you for sharing your story, as bad as it seems its helped me realise that i need to lose weight and try and get myself as fit as i can so if that was to happen to me, i could control it better with less weight on me.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this (your CDC will probably tell you) but when you are on cd you are more likely to get pregnant because your body is getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals, so if you are wanting to loose weight so you can carry a baby safely then I would advise you to get some form of contraception. ;)

I'm not sure if you are aware of this (your CDC will probably tell you) but when you are on cd you are more likely to get pregnant because your body is getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals, so if you are wanting to loose weight so you can carry a baby safely then I would advise you to get some form of contraception. ;)

Yes, you're right Emma. I definitely don't want to get pregnant whilst trying to lose weight on the cambridge diet. Three shakes aren't the right kind of nutrition for an unborn baby. If i got pregnant that would mean me stopping the CD, and right now, i'd like to be slightly selfish and think of myself for once. :)

Hi, just a note on Dianette. I've used it for a few years to help with PCOS symptoms but recently my GP said that there has been a change in the guidelines for prescribing it and that it's now only recommended for limited courses of maybe 6 months... I think it's because it's been linked to liver damage and a recent death from DVT. He's only given me another 3 months and then I have to take a break, which is a total bummer as it really controls my PCOS symptoms :sigh:

Hopefully not all GP's are as strict as mine and you'll be able to get it without any problem because I've found it to be a godsend x

Back