PET'S CORNER - for all those with furry friends..

Oh bless him - it sounds like he's getting a wee bit better, tho - cos he managed to get himself across the room. I'm sure he'll improve a little bit every day, hun!
Lovely pics of him!
love

WELL !! I DONT BELEIVE IT!!

for a very very ill cat with a dodgy heart and 2 paralysed legs, i came home tonight and he wasnt in the dining room where i left him on the floor..gawd did i panic...guess hwere he was?....curled up asleep on the seat of a dining chair under the table...how on earth did he get up there?!?

Hi,

Thats excellent news, I know when saffy had her leg amputed we worried how she would get around but she adapted so quickly. She occasionally gets on the sofa or Amys bed and she seems to pull herself up with front legs with a little push from her remaining back leg.

Maybe the feeling is coming back in his legs now but he only tried this as there was no one to lift him?

Is it today you are back at vets or tomorrow.

Linda

hes booked in tomorrow at 4pm for another assesment. so fingers crossed another 24 hours and he may be able to show the vet he can use his leg. the other one is useless, its just limp and dragging behind him. but he seems perky enough today. i took him into bed at 5am, as he was sitting by the baby gate meowing, saying good morning like he used to.
he ate some breakfst all on his own, after a little encouragemetnt, and he even decided to eat a few mouthfuls of Tangos left over breakfast..back to his usual self, pinching Tangos dinner!! and he had a long drink of water, all on his own. so thats an improvement from yesterday.

im off to work now, so mums coming over to babysit, im just worried now, if he can get up on a chair he may try to get over the baby gate, and come downstairs. although we live in a bungalow, weve converted the coal celler into another lounge/garden room, and have a wood open tread spiral staircase off the main hall down to the garden room and conservatory, i dint want him venturing down there, he will never make the stairs.

anyway..i think progress is being made. hes had 2 days on his new tablets and i think there doing thier job.

hes now not just a 'special cat' ...hes a 'special needs cat!!

Stevie(hubby) says the brightest stars fade the quickest,,,but my little bright star isnt going to fade, im not going to let him

xxx
Jo

I'm glad to hear things seem more positive ... and in such a short time too! That's got to be good news!

Thinking of you and wishing Jacob a speedy recovery.

Debbie x

vet basically said time will tell, so were nursing him back to health.

he ate fish last night, from the chip shop. kind lady gave him a peice of fish, so we took the batter off, waited till it cooled down and put in a dish. he woolfed it down!!

had the rest for breakfast, then wanted a 2nd breakfast, so had some poorly cat food warmed up in the microwave, and he polished that off too!

he did a poo last night!! woohooo. we cheered....clever boy..all by himself!! ( arent we sad)

now hes sunbathing in the kitchen porch.

xxx

So pleased to hear news he sounds so much better and the poo means he can use his muscles down there okay:rolleyes:

It is a matter of time but he is making really good progress you must both be so relieved.

What a nice fish and chip shop lady:D

Our cat Smudge got run over last July. She had 2 broken legs, 1 very badly, and a broken pelvis. A kindly postman found her crawling down the road, dragging her rear end & took her to the vets at 3.30 in the morning!

My Dad was considering getting her put down as her legs were broken into lots of bits & she couldn't wee or poo but the vet managed to persuade him to operate. They pinned both her legs & we had to keep her in a cage for 10 weeks, she had to relearn how to walk again and we were very worried as the vet said if she couldn't poo they'd have to put her down anyway. Needless to say the first time she went on her own was a great day! Problem was in the cage she could fall in the tray but couldn't get out again so there was a daily ritual of cleaning cage/litter/cat up & putting fresh towels etc in as she was nearly always lying in the tray first thing in the morning. She had to stay in cage to build up her muscles before she tried walking on them. We had to do physio on her leg & she had to relearn how to walk.

The amazing thing is you could never tell now - she can run like a cheetah, jumps, sprints and is light as a feather.

Took about 10 or 11 weeks for her to learn to walk again though. Sounds like Jacob is doing great though, if he can go to the loo & twitch his muscles in his leg then all should recover fine. Cats are much more resilient than we give them credit for.

Love xxx

Have just read all about Jacob and been in tears at some points and cheering at others. What a lovely story thanks for sharing.
We have one cat Buffy about 1 and a half.
We did have 2 gerbils but one died a few weeks ago. Both my hubby and me cried but she passed away naturally in her sleep and she had been ill and the decision we made not to have her put down was good as she lived another 4 months of happy healthy gerbil life.
We now just have her sister who is geriatric in gerbil terms but when we got up this morning had got out of her cage jumped 5 feet to the floor and run all around the living room.
My hubby spent a good 20 mins trying to catch her we have put her back away and she seems fine but god knows how she survived all that.

Last edited:
vet basically said time will tell, so were nursing him back to health.

he ate fish last night, from the chip shop. kind lady gave him a peice of fish, so we took the batter off, waited till it cooled down and put in a dish. he woolfed it down!!

had the rest for breakfast, then wanted a 2nd breakfast, so had some poorly cat food warmed up in the microwave, and he polished that off too!

he did a poo last night!! woohooo. we cheered....clever boy..all by himself!! ( arent we sad)

now hes sunbathing in the kitchen porch.

xxx

Hi Devonbabe,

Have not seen you post and was wondering how your baby is getting on?

Love Mini xxx

been back to the vet this after noon, as i was very concerned about his leg.overnight hes started chewing it, and had blood on his toes this morning. phoned vet, they said bring him straight in.

there is no pulse in one leg, basically its dying. he has a fever becuase of the leg, hes had an antiboiotic injection and he has more pills for tomorrow.

hes booked in monday 9.30 for an amputation.

mr sanji the vet said basically thats the only thing i can do.

he will die, if the leg is left any longer.
i could put him to sleep now
or amputate the leg and see if he survives the operation.

i can only chose one option. he has to have the amputation, and i can just pray he survives it.

his heart is stronger than earlier in the week so he stands a better chance now than last week.

im in peices again. hes so bright and alert and making such good progress, but now i have to face losing him again.

fingers X for a full recovery, and i look forward to bringing home a 3 legged cat on Monday evening.

xxx
Jo

Hi Jo ,
Bless ya i will be thinking of you !

I am sure that once he has his poorly leg removed he will be the lively happy moggy he was before !

They are very resilliant these pussy cats especially when they got lots of love :)

Let us know how it goes! take care xxx

Aw poor little Jacob! But don't fret too much, hun - he will regain his strength so quickly after the op and will be bouncing around again like a young thing, I'm sure!

lots of love

Hi,

Saffy had her back leg removed nearly 3 years ago and apart from gaining a little weight she is fine. She can't roam like she used to but she is very happy and contented.

We had to choose to amputate or lose her, you have done the best thing possible for Jacob.

They recover really quickly.

Linda

Hi Devonbabe,

Here is hoping that he will be okay...it is amazing how they can come back from the edge, I have seen it so many times down the years with cats, dogs and birds...even our own baby Yorkie.

Thinking of you.

Love Mini xxx

removed signature.

Last edited:
Back