PET'S CORNER - for all those with furry friends..

I really hope he pulls through and if the power of multiple positive thinking has any effect I am sure he will.
Please keep us updated as regulary as possible.

i cant sleep.
been up for hours pacing the house
hubbys snored all night! hes knackered, went fishing all day yesterday, 67miles out in the channel just off Gurnsey, came home with loads of fish, cooked some Ling last night, Jacob loved it. just gave him some ealry brekfast at 6am. and his 2 pills, now hes sleeping again in our bed.
hes wearing a trainer sock on his bad leg, as hes licked it sore during the night.
Tangos been up to no good during the night, hes lost his collor, and is walking around mewing loudly. i suspect there a mouse in the house..he was sitting ontop of hubbby briefcase, so i think hes dropped his mouse inside it..

Poor Jo -I guess today is going to be a long day for you.

Will be thinking of you, luv!

(oh and eeek! I hates them meeces to peeces)
lots of love

Hi Devonbabe,

Wishing you and Jacob lots of luck tomorrow and I hope it all goes well for him.

Chin up.

Thinking about you both.

Love Mini xxx

Isn't it so sad when your pets are ill.

My Gran had a parrot called Billy for 28 years. My Mum & Dad were looking after him when he took a turn for the worse. When my Gran called to see how he was they had to tell her he had died - & she said "I love him more than some of my children!"

I have a wonderful dog called Chester, we had had him for five years & thought he was a Beagle cross, face like a beagle but lanky hound like legs, when we took him to an open farm & the farmer got all excited & said "It's a Harrier isn't it", we had never even heard of them - we looked them up & he is a fine example of a Harrier...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Jo}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} really hope Jacob gets through the op and recovers OK babes.

I've just read the whole thread nad am sitting here in tears. I can't imagine what you must be going through, nothing worse than a poorly pet - my two are my furry children!

well, i visited him in the hospital at 8pm. i had to go into the animal ward as he couldnt be moved. the ward is full of cages with various poorly animals inside, all with bandages on. about 8 other cats, and some rabbits and a poorly poodle. there was a cat with no tail, one with both back legs bandaged, a dog with a big lampshade collor on his neck, even a rescued pigeon.

anyway, jacob is in a big cage, at chest level, lying on a pink blanket, sleeping at the back of his cage, with a big red bandage on his front left leg, attached to a long thin tube which is attached to a drip bag on a tall tripod stand. the sort you see in hospitals.
the nurse said he was sleeping, and she opened up the front of the cage. he opened his eyes, and i stroked his head and he meowed.

i had cooked some fresh white fish for him just before i went, and took it in a tupperware container to the hospital. i asked if it was ok to feed him, they said yes, but he probably wouldnt eat anything as he was still quite sedated and sleepy.

well.......i took the lid off, and immediatly he got up, and moved towards me, i held out a bit of fish and he gobbled itup. so i took out some more and placed on the lid of the box. he ate it all, and was pushing his face into the box to eat it as fast as he could.

he was standing on his 3 legs, all on his own, gobbling the fish and purring loudly.

he finished all the fish, then laid down, purring, with his head on my hand. so i gave him a few kisses and said night night and left him to rest for the night.

i was there about 20mins altogether

his amputation went just fine. the whole leg is gone. he has a plump rump muscle completly shaved with a huge big scar about 6'' long all stiched up with blue stitches. his tail is shaved at the base and his white fur is orange in some places stained my the antiseptic. they have to keep him in for 24-48 hours then he can come home. so im going to phone tomorrow morning and see how he is, i would like to bring him home tomorrow evening if hes well enough.

anyway..night night Jacob, sleep tight, get well soon, dream of catching mices again, get some rest and grow strong, you're such a good lad. and i will see you tomorrow sweetheart and bring you home once again. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That is sounding very promising indeed :)

Perhaps another trip to the fishmongers is in order ;)

Oh bless him, he sounds a real tough cookie, Jo :) Give his head a tickle from me when you collect him. I'm sure he'll be fine, Jo. He's just used up one of his 9 lives.

I'll bet it was the fish taht perked him up though and the meow was to say 'Hello Mummy, what have you brought me?'

Hope he goes from strength to strength xxxxx

actually, hubby caught the fishie on sunday, its a massive Ling, he causght it brought it home and i gutted it straightaway so its extra fresh...and i was very brave and gutted it myself and cut it into big steaks!!
i told him hes got to go fishing again this weekend as Jacob wants more fish...its good invalid food :)...Tango likes fish too..so they both being very spoilt this week..fresh fish all around...we even had it for tea.

Hi,

This had me in tears its brought it all back to me when Saffy had her leg amputed after 4 months of faffing about by the vets.

As soon as the leg was gone she seemed so much better it was as if she knew it was no good and was fretting all the time it was there.

Its absolutely amazing how quickly they get over this. He will have a couple of mishaps where he forgets he cant jump up or down from things in the same way. But he will soon learn.

His brother will be all over him when he gets home. I know my dog wouldn't leave her alone it was as if he was protecting her.

The worst is over now.

Wishing him a very speedy recovery.

Lindax

PS link to website with information on how to look after a disabled cat - http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm#amputee

How is Jacob today, Jo?

Just thought I'd post a pic of my baby enjoying the sunshine this morning....

Maxx8861.jpg

he came home yesterday at 6pm, he was quite bright and alert at first but but is not doing so well now. i phoned the vet at 12 last night and again at 7 this morning. were back to visit the vet at 9am. im exhausted and emotional. i just dont know whats going to happen.
xxx
Jo

Hi Jo,

The anaesthetic takes a while to get out of their system and he is probably now feeling sore and confused. He has been through a big trauma.

It is so exhausting looking after a pet when they need so much extra love and attention, but don't forget to look after yourself as well.

Let us know how Jacob gets on at the vets.

Lindax

Last edited:
Back