Pitta filling ideas

SaraC

Pesky pescetarian from Australia!
Hi,

I really like the idea of pitta's being a HEB but am wondering what to have in them as I am vegetarian, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

quorn pieces with some salad & mayo?

kidney beans & roasted veg mixed with a tomatoe based sauce and seasoned with a little chilli?

x

falafels
hoummous
meat substitutes
anything that you'd put on a baked potato eg curry, chilli
bean salads
cous cous salad

I'm sure you could come up with loads of other ideas if you put your thinking cap on!

Grated carrots with a few raisins and fat free Thousand Island (you'll have to syn these, but it's worth it). Make the filling in advance and leave in the fridge to plump out the raisins.

i luv 2 fill them with either falafel or quorn chilli and rice :) yum

luv that pitta is now a HEB :)

x

falafel are quite easy to make or the cauldron ready made ones are nice and low in syns :D they do cauldron mini falafel bites for 59p in my local farmfoods and they are half a syn each but with couscous and pitta they are nice and filling :)

X

I cut mine in 2, brown under the grill, then spread on some laughing cow extra light. I then spread sliced cherry tomatoes over and grill again for a few minutes. I would have this in the evening after the gym, or for lunch with soup.
I had never really had pitta until now, and am loving it!!!

I'd have chicken with extra light mayo and salad with couscous on the side :)

I was really looking forward to having pitta bread as my lunches this week but Asda had completely sold out of wholemeal pittas when I went last night. Almost out of Mugshots too....there must be a lot of people on SW around here!

I was trying out the falafel recipe, but only added chickpeas, onion, 1 chilli, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, salt (forgot to add the other ingredients garlic, parsley, fresh coriander), but as my blender wasn't mashing the chickpeas I added a bit of water, so it came out more like a pate and added some yougurt and it was really tasty and filling on 2 slices of ww bread, so recommend this for your pita too :)

How about grilled portobello mushrooms?

Marinate giant portobello mushrooms in some mustard, salt, pepper, garlic, small sprinkle of veggie stock cube (about 1/8th) and vegan worcester sauce Vegan Store: Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
Marinate for about an hour, brown in a hot pan on both sides and bake at 200C for 10 minutes. You can add some grated cheese on top if you have an HEA available. put in your toasted pitta, add some salad and some roast tomato salsa (roast cherry tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar and frylight for 30 mins. Mash all together and add finely chopped parsley and basil) and perhaps some yogurt. Yum!

You could also use some sliced and roasted butternut squash instead of the mushroom. Or a fritatta!

Oh wow, thank you ladies, there's some great ideas :D

Boiled egg and salsa
Chopped low syn veggie sausages and salsa
Chooped low syn veggie bacon with low fat mayo and salad
maybe you could use some passata, cheese as your other healthy extra choice and make a mini veggie pizza?

There's loads to be done with Pittas, I'm thrilled that they're now a healthy extra- I just have to stop myself having one every day. bread does nothing for my weight loss at all!

Back