polenta

purplepreparer

How many syns in polenta, please? Not the grains that need preparing, but the block you can buy that just needs slicing. Nearly bought some today, but need to check before I do. Thanks

Italfresco Polenta, Ready to Use, 500g pack, ambient 100g cooked

3½ Syns on Extra Easy Original 3½ Syns Green 3½ Syns

How many syns in polenta, please? Not the grains that need preparing, but the block you can buy that just needs slicing. Nearly bought some today, but need to check before I do. Thanks

I must admit I was puzzled that the grains are free, because when you cook them they solidify anyway, or at least mine did. Maybe I am not doing it right? Is it supposed to be runny to be free, kind of like semolina or grits or hominy? Do I need to syn it if it solidifies? :confused:

i suspect the pre made stuff has other stuff in it that is causing the syns. when you make it from grains yourself, you then syn what you add. dont think it matters what consistency it is.

Oh thanks honey, mystery solved then! I think I'll try some for brekkie tomorrow morning now I know they are syn-free. I will do them with free n.a.s. fruit juice or palm sugar (synned of course)! (or those butter buds ha ha, and see if they turn out like semolina, Yum. I never fancied the American word grits for them somehow!!! :(

i have tried doing polenta before ( found a recipe to use polenta as a pizza base, looked great, tasted yuk!) but i stood stirring the bloody stuff for an hour to get it be 'so the spoon stood up in it' as per the recipe.
i tried making it then letting it set in fridge and then fried in frylight, was yuk then too.................. how do you make it taste good????

i have tried doing polenta before ( found a recipe to use polenta as a pizza base, looked great, tasted yuk!) but i stood stirring the bloody stuff for an hour to get it be 'so the spoon stood up in it' as per the recipe.
i tried making it then letting it set in fridge and then fried in frylight, was yuk then too.................. how do you make it taste good????

They say you can just put it in the oven without stirring it, but I haven't tried that. what I tried was polenta chips, like they have at Champneys, which were yum. I made the polenta up, mixed in herbs and salt, then cut into slices and put in oven to crisp. It took aaaages and I didn't like the grainy texture when I ate them. Threw the lot away in the end! As you say very time-consuming. I imagine it would be a brick pizza base !!! b.t.w. I didn't try the brekkie polenta yet as I have decided I am losing on red days much better than green ones or extra easy.

As you say very time-consuming. I imagine it would be a brick pizza base !!! b.t.w. I didn't try the brekkie polenta yet as I have decided I am losing on red days much better than green ones or extra easy.

VERY time consuming, no not a brick, a SOGGY mess :( It *looked* great out of the oven, but there was no way you could cut a slice, the toppings had made the polenta base go soggy.

I make polenta porridge, but I make it runny & not firm. I add nas cordial & fruit, very nice.

I have made chilli polenta bread which was nice.

Do you add more water or do you cook for less time to make it runny? I always use cordial for all my cereals too so I can save my milk for many coffees!
Do you have the recipe for the chilli polenta bread and syn values etc.? pretty please??

Last edited:
Yep I add more water for polenta porridge. Recipe for Polenta Chilli Corn Bread:-

Ingredients:

fry light
250g/9oz fine polenta
1 tsp baking powder
salt & pepper plenty of it!
4 large eggs lightly beaten
300g/11oz very low fat natural yoghurt
275g/10oz canned sweet corn kernels drained
2 mild green chilli's deseeded & finely chopped
200g/7oz bottled roasted red peppers in brine rinsed drained & finely chopped
6 spring onions finely sliced

METHOD:
preheat the oven to 170/gas 3 spray a 20cm/8in baking tin with fry light.
Mix together the polenta & baking powder & season well.
In a jug combine the beaten egg & yoghurt & pour into the polenta mixture, add the sweet corn, chillies, red pepper & spring onions & stir lightly to combine.
Pour the batter into the flan dish & bake in the oven for 35-40mins until firm & lightly browned on top, cut the warm bread into squares or slices & serve immediately.

Is merchant gourmet polenta free - it says on the front of the packet cooks in one minute. Is it free whether runny or baked into chips?

Thank you!

is there any up to date news for Polenta... I found an australian low fat cook magazine and they use polenta a lot and the recipes look good but I was wondering how much the grains or the ready made stuff was in syns or is it free now on EE.

No still synned sorry. if anything SW are tightening up on people using free foods in what can only be described as bizarre ways eg strawberry smash muffins(!) and unfortunately those of us that use them sensibly suffer by association. It wouldn't surprise me if smash becomes synned at some point in the same way that polenta did :(

Back