Portion control with superfree?

chun-ky

Silver Member
Hi, im just wondering if i should be exercising portion control when it comes to superfree food?
I had a stir fry for tea, and had 1 chicken breast and 1 portion of noodles, but used half a punnet of mushrooms half a bag of bean sprouts 2 carrots half a tin of water chestnuts and half a tin of bamboo shoots! My plate was a serious mountain :eek:
I did only eat untill i was full and left a fair bit. But is this ok?
Feel really greedy but i swear in a few hours i will be starving Even though my portion was mahoosive! xx

Personally I don't because it helps me to eat less overall. My portion sizes have naturally reduced but I still eat loads of superfree and am not very good at leaving food on my plate ! So well done :)

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

I love to eat, so if superfree lets me still eat loads, but my intake of foods that have more energy value is still reduced, I would rather overeat on superfree that the stuff that is not

If you think about it, you have exercised good portion (god I hate that word) control - you stopped when you felt full!

As much as SW doesn't work on calories (per se) the 'free' parts of our menus are the areas that I'd be a bit more careful with serving size than the 'superfree'.

Thanks, I wont worry about it then :) I try so hard to get a good balance of free/superfree, making sure i have a 1/3rd superfree on my plate, sometimes i feel i go a bit OTT on the superfree lol. xx

I live on my own, don't have a freezer and hate wasting food. It is a bad combination.
A couple of months ago I was stressing about putting a whole pepper into my chilli - I thought it was too much. I looked on the back of the pack and half a pepper was 17 calories, so the whole pepper was 34 calories. The same as a rich tea biscuit.

From then on, I realise it made so little difference whether I ate half or a whole it wasn't worth wasting any more food over.

I must admit i just checked the calories of my whole dinner including the soy sauce on myfitnesspal, and the whole lot was just short of 500 calories! And the noodles and chicken alone was 420 lol :) xx

Its not possibly to eat too much superfree! If you want to do portion control do it on your free food, not your superfree!

I always thought the rule with superfree was as long as you stop when you feel full it's all good? I certainly hope so :D

Kind of thought you couldn't really have too much super free, but i keep reading about too many grapes, apples, bananas, etc not being good and they are superfree so wanted to check that all the veg was actually ok. I have a gigantic appetite and i am trying to fill up at meal times to avoid snacking. I never used to be a breakfast, lunch, tea kind of person, i would skip breakfast, then from 11 to 5 eat choccy, crisps, biccys etc, then have a take away and eat more rubbish in the evening :(
My roast dinners now have at least 5 different types of veg on them and i am eating more fruit than i can actually afford. ha ha!!
I guess im finding it strange to be eating such large portions , i only have 1 average portion of meat/carbs at each meal,i measure them going by the reccomended serving sizes on the packets just to make sure i'm not going crazy on them!
Guess its working so i should carry on as i am :) xx

I always thought the rule with superfree was as long as you stop when you feel full it's all good? I certainly hope so :D

The rule with *anything* is to stop when you're full. But binging on superfree is unlikely to do you any damage anyway as there's such minimal calories in any of it.

Kind of thought you couldn't really have too much super free, but i keep reading about too many grapes, apples, bananas, etc not being good and they are superfree so wanted to check that all the veg was actually ok. I have a gigantic appetite and i am trying to fill up at meal times to avoid snacking. I never used to be a breakfast, lunch, tea kind of person, i would skip breakfast, then from 11 to 5 eat choccy, crisps, biccys etc, then have a take away and eat more rubbish in the evening :(
My roast dinners now have at least 5 different types of veg on them and i am eating more fruit than i can actually afford. ha ha!!
I guess im finding it strange to be eating such large portions , i only have 1 average portion of meat/carbs at each meal,i measure them going by the reccomended serving sizes on the packets just to make sure i'm not going crazy on them!
Guess its working so i should carry on as i am :) xx

Its true that grapes and bananas and things (basically non-speedy/non-superspeedy things) you might need to be a little more careful with as they have a lot more calories than other superfree stuff that IS super/speedy. But most people wouldnt eat loads of just one item (although I have spotted the odd banana fiend on here :D A banana a day is OK - seven isn't! ;) )

But basically if you re thinking about portion control, free is where to control it, not superfree.

But if it's working, then whatever it is, carry on! :)

I'm going to keep schtum until tomorrow when it's official WI at group but I reckon EE, red or green, 80% of my meals are 50% SF. This week I've tried extra hard with my SF and I'm convinced of a gain. I've not gone over syns, I've exercised 4 times, drank 2 litres of water plus a day and I'm Miss Bloatypants again. What the hell is wrong with meeeeeeee?!

I'm going to keep schtum until tomorrow when it's official WI at group but I reckon EE, red or green, 80% of my meals are 50% SF. This week I've tried extra hard with my SF and I'm convinced of a gain. I've not gone over syns, I've exercised 4 times, drank 2 litres of water plus a day and I'm Miss Bloatypants again. What the hell is wrong with meeeeeeee?!

All the veg/fruit i eat makes me bloated too. I always feel 'heavy' if that makes sence but the scales are going down :) xx

chunky your weight losses are great! what ever u are doing must be good... do u mind sharing examples of what you eat on a typical day, I only started yesterday!

Oh a question for anyone, something I am a bit confused of! If I do extra easy! do I have to eat fruit or veg with everything I eat? say for example today, I had
breakfast: activa fat free yoghurt bannana and 2 mandarins
lunch: cous cous with salad and ham
snack mug shot and mandarin
tea! gammon steak(no fat) and sw chips and lots of veg
but before I had been for a long walk and realised I hadn't had any healthy extras ( i dont drink milk) so I had danish ww bread with laughing cow light on! ... and a tomatoe on it! but now I am panicking that I did not have a 3rd of super free with it!
and i really don't want to eat a piece of fruit for the sake of it! my understanding is that sf fills u! there isn't a scientific reason is there? bit confused :-( last time I was on it and only lasted few weeks as couldn't get head around not counting calories I found my self eating fruit after a meal to ensure had 1/3 sf when I wasn't even hungry! but its what my then consultant told me! please help,...... really want to give this ago and don't want to mess up x

Don't just eat extra! Eat til you are satisfied, not til you are exploding and eat the SF first. Don't worry about your HEx snack, I think it's okay when they are measured amounts. :)

lucylis said:
chunky your weight losses are great! what ever u are doing must be good... do u mind sharing examples of what you eat on a typical day, I only started yesterday!

Oh a question for anyone, something I am a bit confused of! If I do extra easy! do I have to eat fruit or veg with everything I eat? say for example today, I had
breakfast: activa fat free yoghurt bannana and 2 mandarins
lunch: cous cous with salad and ham
snack mug shot and mandarin
tea! gammon steak(no fat) and sw chips and lots of veg
but before I had been for a long walk and realised I hadn't had any healthy extras ( i dont drink milk) so I had danish ww bread with laughing cow light on! ... and a tomatoe on it! but now I am panicking that I did not have a 3rd of super free with it!
and i really don't want to eat a piece of fruit for the sake of it! my understanding is that sf fills u! there isn't a scientific reason is there? bit confused :-( last time I was on it and only lasted few weeks as couldn't get head around not counting calories I found my self eating fruit after a meal to ensure had 1/3 sf when I wasn't even hungry! but its what my then consultant told me! please help,...... really want to give this ago and don't want to mess up x

Hey also it's only recommended that snacks are superfree as well as mealtimes. So ideally have a mandarin and no mugshot. But if you are hungry and want a mugshot then don't worry about the mandarin too. Does that make sense. Obviously if you are stil hungry and want one go for it. But you don't have to have a 3rd superfree with every snack if you aren't having superfree to start with. Hope that makes sense? Xx

Right, I gained 1lb. Totally unjustified and now I'm in a mood! Back to EE this week I reckon. Even moooooore superfree for me.

Right, I gained 1lb. Totally unjustified and now I'm in a mood! Back to EE this week I reckon. Even moooooore superfree for me.
Good luck for a loss next week helsangel x

Back