Portion size on free foods!!..

hippylove

I am wondering do you count portion sizes on free foods when following SW..!!:eek:..even though we should not be hungry but I am sure we must be eating a reasonable amount in order to loose weight..
Help..!! portion size control on what foods..thanks..:)

No real portion control on free foods - eat all you want as long as you're hungry! (its that easy)
Only have to worry about weighing and measuring healthy extras and syns. xx

Hi
I started Sw 3 weeks ago. 1st week I lost 4 lbs, then last week and this week only 1 lb per week. Which to me doesn't seem much.
My Mother thinks I should cut down my portion size on my dinner, which will make my loss better as she thinks I eat to much for dinner. ????
I make a chilli or bolognaise and make 4 meals out of it - eat one and freeze 3. So not masses amounts of meat there. But I do tend to have 3 oz (uncooked) of rice, whereas she will only have 2.

But I never sit there holding my tummy as I am too full. I am satisfied, and find that having a larger dinner stops me wanting to snack in the evenings.

Is it possible I might be eating too much?!!!!
I am well under 1300 calories per day (checked a few days last week just out of interest).

Hels

As long as a plate of your food is made up of 1/3 superfree food (fruit or unstarchy vegetables - peas, parsnips, sweetcorn and potatoes don't count) and you are not serving on a huge oversized plate, then you really shouldnt need to worry about your portions, as they will be automatically controlled by the superfree taking up 1/3 of your plate, which leaves less room for the other free foods.

If of course you are not having superfree and are piling your plate high with the other free foods (non superfree), then there could come a point where your weight loss slows down or stops altogether or at worst you may even experience small gains.

The plan is working if you are losing weight. A 1lb a week is a healthy weight loss. Weight loss also varies from person to person because every ones metabolism is different and some people are more active than others. So never compare your weight loss to another person. As long as the scales are going down and not up, then you are doing it right.

Last edited:
Hi Britmum
Yes I always have my 1/3 superfree - if not more.
When I have chilli or bolognaise, I always fill atleast 1/3 plate with beansprouts - yum yum, and when I have a more conventional meal, I always have carrots, brocolli, cabbage etc.
And lunch most days is salad.

Perhaps I am just being inpatient. But as an ex-Lighter Lifer, it is hard to adjust to the smaller losses each week.

But you are right, a loss is a loss!

Thanks

Perhaps I am just being inpatient. But as an ex-Lighter Lifer, it is hard to adjust to the smaller losses each week.

Im an ex Cambidge Dieter - first week on CD i lost 11lbs! 4 weeks on SW and i've lost the same as i did in one on CD. The difference this time i know its fat, not water & glycogen stores - and i know this is a sustainable way of eating for me & these are long term changes i'm making, not a quick fix.
Are you doing EE? I found my losses are better if i have more red days, so maybe try adding a couple of those in during the week? Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water as that can help losses. xx

You are doing fine, Helen. Even if you only lost one pound a week, you could lose the 61 pounds you want to lose in just over a year. And some weeks you will more than likely lose more than a pound.

Other people - whoever they are - can safely be ignored unless they understand the SW plan.

Hi Rayven
I am doing EE, but think I might try and throw some Red days in - (back to the books).
I try and drink at least 1.5 litres of water, plus tea and 1 can of diet coke a day.
I know I will get a better loss one of these weeks, but yes, it is frustrating when on LL I was doing 3 lbs minimum per week.

But, as you did, I chose SW as it was a healthier way of losing weight, and hopefully give me tools for the future. Avoiding food issues on CD and LL isn't always the answer.

Hi Rayven
I am doing EE, but think I might try and throw some Red days in - (back to the books).
I try and drink at least 1.5 litres of water, plus tea and 1 can of diet coke a day.
I know I will get a better loss one of these weeks, but yes, it is frustrating when on LL I was doing 3 lbs minimum per week.

But, as you did, I chose SW as it was a healthier way of losing weight, and hopefully give me tools for the future. Avoiding food issues on CD and LL isn't always the answer.

Just look at SW as a healthy way of eating for life and enjoy your meals/food, there are so many different combinations of things you can have with all the free foods, that it is something that is managable for life and the good thing is it doesnt feel like a diet, with the added bonus of weight coming off.

In all honesty I would try to shift your focus from getting big losses, and just enjoy the plan, soon it will just be a way of life for you and the time will fly by with the weight coming off at a healthy steady pace.

If you focus too much on trying to get big losses, then you risk making the plan difficult for yourself and unenjoyable too, as you will get into a mindset that the plan isn't working for you, when in fact it is working.

I agree with Britmum. I made an oath to myself that this time, whether the weight comes off or not i'm going to stick to plan because i know this is a healthy way to eat and the way i was eating before wasn't. Perhaps see this as a way to re-learn the way you think about food and if the weight comes off its a bonus? xx

I am well under 1300 calories per day (checked a few days last week just out of interest).

Hels
I don't think its possible that you are eating too much hun, especially if you are having about 1300 cals a day. Based on your stats you probably should be eating more, rather than less. I know from my own experience that I tend to lose more if i eat more, as long as its all free and superfree, and I keep within my syns.
I do eat at least 1/3rd superfree but have no idea on the weight of the pasta/rice/potatoes/meat I eat as I have never weighed any of it.

I am happy to lose at a 1-2lb a week if when I eventually get there it stays off.

Thanks everyone such good advice.I am doing green |& red days,but as I have diabetes type 2 the red days are best for me...wish me luck as I am officially starting this diet tomorrow I have done my shopping..I will also be doing a food diary..look out for me in that the food diary section..:)

Thanks everyone such good advice.I am doing green |& red days,but as I have diabetes type 2 the red days are best for me...wish me luck as I am officially starting this diet tomorrow I have done my shopping..I will also be doing a food diary..look out for me in that the food diary section..:)

extra easy days will work well too, just choose wholegrain rices and pastas instead of the white variety and limit potatoes, opting for new potatoes in skin, or sweet potato instead.

Good luck hun!!!!! xxxxxx

Me and my hubby are on EE he is diabetic as well, he was taking 210 units of Insulin a day and now has come off it altogether. Between us we have lost 13 stone in a year, we eat absolutely loads, i only average about 3lb a month now, but because we can eat so much we dont mind, we love it...keep going, eat as much as you want and it WILL work xx

Im on ee and i eat until i feel satisfied. some day ill eat more than others but i always make sure im having a third superfree. thats definately the key to my weight loss!

Helen Clark said:
Hi
I started Sw 3 weeks ago. 1st week I lost 4 lbs, then last week and this week only 1 lb per week. Which to me doesn't seem much.
My Mother thinks I should cut down my portion size on my dinner, which will make my loss better as she thinks I eat to much for dinner. ????
I make a chilli or bolognaise and make 4 meals out of it - eat one and freeze 3. So not masses amounts of meat there. But I do tend to have 3 oz (uncooked) of rice, whereas she will only have 2.

But I never sit there holding my tummy as I am too full. I am satisfied, and find that having a larger dinner stops me wanting to snack in the evenings.

Hels

1 lb a week is just fab think about in different terms ... You are eating for your health and if you continue to lose 1 lb a week this time next year you will be 4 stone lighter

Hope this helps to show how brilliant SW life is x

Back