Portion sizes

toofatkat

Not such a fat kat now :)
Just thought you might be interested in this portion size guide that I use. I found it in the BBC good food mag a whole ago. It's enlightening really.

Rice or pasta - the size of your clenched fist or a tennis ball.

Meat poultry fish - the palm of your hand or deck of cards.

Nuts and seeds- cupped palm of your hand or a golf ball.

Veg or salad - your cupped hand or a computer mouse.

Cheese - two forefingers or a matchbox.

Butter - the tip of your thumb or a dice.

Your plate should be made up of

Half - veg

Quarter - protein

Quarter - starchy foods such as rice or pasta

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

This is good in theory...but what happens when you don't eat meat or fish or pulses and grains...

I like those portion plates, they're a good idea too. I've been thinking about portions lately and what goes on plates.

I've got a portion plate but to be honest I find it a bit big and prefer to use those portion guides.
If you don't eat pulses how do you get your protein? You must have a very restricted diet

Not seen or heard of portion plates since i did food tech gcse many years ago

I dont tend to stick to set portion sizes more just what appears right

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos

I've got a portion plate but to be honest I find it a bit big and prefer to use those portion guides.
If you don't eat pulses how do you get your protein? You must have a very restricted diet

I am so fussy with food Kat, that I'm glad I'm doing TFR at the moment. I don't eat meat or fish. I don't like lentils, split peas, chick peas but I will eat pearl barley in stews, but not on it's own type of thing. I can't stand cous cous!

I don't like anything that crunchy, chewy or hard. I love carbs, I like cheese and potato pie, cauliflower cheese, plates and plates of veg. I like baked beans on toast, spag bol, lasagne...

My eldest, is the same, he doesn't eat meat or fish in it's generic form ( he will eat a fish finger or a piece of crispy chicken) he doesn't like salad (can't say I blame him, although I will eat it with a load of beetroot on top) he will eat boiled potatoes, cooked carrots, peas and sweetcorn. Won't eat anything slightly curried or spicy.

I'd love my lad to have a roast dinner, a yourkshire pud with a piece of chicken, he's won't touch it!

My brother is the opposite, he loves meat! Pieces of beef, pork, lamb chop etc! And he will eat pasta too! I've been picky since a child, if it wasn't cheese pot pie or cauliflower cheese for dinner I'd eat porridge :)

It's really hard when you don't eat meat or fish. I actually think then when I'm done with TFR I'm going to have to try and eat chicken :(

toofatkat said:

I'm fairly veggie but do eat pulses however I'm now having protein shakes as well because I'm concerned that my protein intake has dropped on Xenical without cheese & eggs.

I eat eggs no problem on xen. I don't get any effect at all.
Violet have you ever made potato 'pastry'? You could create a low fat version of cheese and potato pie if you did that.
Is it the textures of food you don't like? Or the taste?

Same here i have bo problem with eggs and xen

I don't think it's hard not eating meat or fish my sister and her family are vegetarian and my daughter may as well be. I think the difficulty is because you don't eat / like the alternatives that vegetarians eat instead that makes It difficult .
I have to admit to being astounded. I love food. :) I draw the line at aubergine and guavas though. Bad experiences in childhood. Thankfully my kids are the same .

Eggplant is yummy jus sliced in half cm disks a spray
Or 2 of fry lite salt n pepper n some chilli flakes baked at 200 for 30mins

I eat eggs no problem on xen. I don't get any effect at all.
Violet have you ever made potato 'pastry'? You could create a low fat version of cheese and potato pie if you did that.
Is it the textures of food you don't like? Or the taste?

I usually make a cheese potato pie with boiled potatoes, creamed, mixed with grated cheese and baked in the oven for a short time, then add a few sliced toms and a sprinkle of extra cheese then grill to brown the top. I used to do it with pastry, but I found it was too much.

With meat and fish it's the texture and the taste of it that I just can't handle.

I don't think it's hard not eating meat or fish my sister and her family are vegetarian and my daughter may as well be. I think the difficulty is because you don't eat / like the alternatives that vegetarians eat instead that makes It difficult .
I have to admit to being astounded. I love food. :) I draw the line at aubergine and guavas though. Bad experiences in childhood. Thankfully my kids are the same .

I do love food...I just like the wrong things :( It can be difficult trying to eat out, you can guarantee a veggie option will be a risotto or a stuffed mushroom... I hate both lol!

I've made egg plant parm, which is like a lasagne with the egg plant as the layers. The egg plant you cut into rounds, then layer with egg and and flour and a bread crumb mix (optional) then shallow fry then use those fried rounds with parm cheese and a marinara sauce. I do like a lot of Italian cooking :)

Back