portions

chunky-monkey77

i seriously swear i am up 2 no good !
think i know were i am going wrong . my portion size is all wrong . think i am taking to big portions cause its "Free" am cutting my portions down this week and taking about 5 syns a day to see if that helps . I have always had a big appitite but never know when to stop!

The thing about slimming world is that you can have big portions unlike other diets!! as long as the food is free. I have massive portions, on a green day I have tons and tons of rice, pasta etc, about 3 times over what the packet recommends! The key is to just eat until you are nicely full, not until you are stuffed! Eat lots of speed or superspeed foods too to really kick start your metabolism! Do not worry though about eating too much, when I eat more I tend to lose more!! good luck xx

Ah but this is on red and green, you can't get away with it so easily on EE!

Oh yes you can!

I don't know what some people have got against EE - our group is reporting just as good losses (if not better) on EE than Red/Green!

The healthy extra differences between the plans seem to sort everything out. If you doubt it, consider doing 3 red days and 4 green in a week. Imagine laying all the food you'd eat in that week on a table (ie. it's a fixed amount of calories). Now, eat that in a week (this is EE). No difference!

The beauty of SW is you don't need to exercise portion control, you eat until you are satisfied. If you start cutting portions then you may as well do any other diet plan......

I do agree with Judimac though, if I don't do the third superfree thing with my meals on EE then I don't lose, but that is just me. The was another thread on here yesterday and some people don't do it every meal and still have good losses. The EE losses in my group have been fab, one woman has lost 4 stone on it!

Anyway, going a bit off thread here - what I'm trying to say is, don't cut your portions down, it's a sure fire way to being hungry and falling off the wagon.

I love EE but I really do find I have best losses with red days. I love pasta, rice, cous cous etc but I just can't have very much of it.

Sometimes I lapse into an EE day. I start off with a red day and I only ever have 1 HEA. My first HEB is cereal at breakfast and my second HEB is often potatoes with my dinner. However, sometimes I want peas or rice with my dinner. So I have the choice of synning them or simply saying that I'm on EE instead with no extra syns. I think my body decides to syn them no matter what I say.

I think a lot depends on how your body copes with carbs. If you're fine with carbs then EE is ideal. If like me carbs tend to stick, then you may need to watch your portions of them on EE and make sure you have plenty of superfree foods.

At the moment I concentrate on red days but I treat myself to EE days. Once I reach target, EE will be a fabulous way to maintain.

I agree with Jaylou that you must not go hungry. Always make sure you eat until you are satisfied. If you do reduce your carbs, make sure you make it up with superfree foods. Also have your syns.

I'm the same. Red days I don't ahve t worry. If I ahve more than one green day in a week, I will not lose. I know I won't. i just can't tale carbs in that quantity. If I d EE, which I do occasionally, then I exercise portion control on the green foods. I have to. Loads of meat though!

Lynda

Variety is the key, not portion control with the SW plan (any of them). Your body will get used to eating the same things if you dont change what you are eating around and maybe throwing in a Green Day where you may have had a Red Day etc.
Dont reduce your intake if you are eating to full (rather than stuffed), as this will have the opposite effect and as Jaylou has said you could end up falling off the wagon big style.

I eat rather big portions on all of the plans and still lose weight, plus i have my 15 syns per day. I have a huge appetite and couldn't cope with watching my portions. I do tend to lose quicker on red than i do on green or ee but i would rather feel more satisfied and lose slower if that makes sense. I would try varying your diet and eating more speed foods xx

I eat rather big portions on all of the plans and still lose weight, plus i have my 15 syns per day. I have a huge appetite and couldn't cope with watching my portions. I do tend to lose quicker on red than i do on green or ee but i would rather feel more satisfied and lose slower if that makes sense. I would try varying your diet and eating more speed foods xx

I totally agree! I've done SW a few times in the past and have fallen off the wagon when I started wanting things I thought I couldn't have (spag bol, meat & carbs etc). With EE it has been so much easier. I've wondered about trying red again to boost my losses, but I really enjoy EE so have decided my loss may be slower, but I am enjoying the journey along the way :D

I am wary of EE so have only done it once!! I stick to red and green days and like the mixture to be honest and the fact that you are always eating different thing so should not get bored.:talk017:

Many thanks to you all for the valuable advice you've given us, that is the beauty of this forum, everyone is so willing to help and advise at all time's, thank you. X

I did 5 red last week, one EE and one green. Lost 4lbs. The week before I did all EE and lost 1.5lbs. I tend to eat less on EE than on red or green, which is the ironic part.

Everyone's body works differently, and I *do* lose weight on EE. I just lose quicker on red and that's how things work for me. Also, no-one really knows what everyone else is eating when they do those plans. So that may also be why some people lose more on EE than others, it could just be that whatever the 4 stone woman lost on EE was down to her food combinations as well as her EE plan.

I think i'm going to start doing red weeks with EE weekends and see how my body reacts. Loss is a loss and i'm not going to be disappointed with any more 1 or .5lb losses because i'm actually enjoying eating for the first time in my life. Enjoying it without shame or feeling stuffed to bursting or guilt. And it's great!

How's THAT for a revelation?!

I dont eat meat, so I always do green days but dont feel I have lost this week. I wonder if I should eat more syns? (Generally have an average of 5 a day over the course of a week)

The big portion debate!!!!

I cut my portions down a couple of weeks back and i've consistently lost 5lbs, 1.5 lbs, 1lbs and 1lb over the past 4 weeks after weeks of STS and small gains.

My outlook on the portion thing, especially wth green, is that the less weight you have to lose the harder it will become if you eat a 500g bowl of pasta!!

I just dont think you can get away with eating monster portions if you are close to target because its all calories at the end of the day.

I also believe everyone is different and i have done much better since reducing my portions because my issue was the fact that it was 'free' so was eating lots simply because i could :rolleyes:

Loss is a loss and i'm not going to be disappointed with any more 1 or .5lb losses because i'm actually enjoying eating for the first time in my life. Enjoying it without shame or feeling stuffed to bursting or guilt. And it's great!

How's THAT for a revelation?!

Yep, that's pretty much what I've decided too. I've been giving this portion thing a deal of thought recently because, having lost 6st in less than a year, it's now coming off more slowly and I still have several stone to go.

But you know what? I'm not prepared to go hungry ever again. If that's what it takes to achieve 'good' losses every week, I think I'd rather settle for half a pound. Small portions leave me hungry and miserable, and that's when the binge-demon can sneak in. Food Optimising has helped me to leave those days behind, and that's what really matters to me.

One small bit of advice id say is also drink loads and loads of water that helps me :)

Whilst we are all here talking about EE/red/green, im doing an EE day today but if I wanted to, I could throw a green day or a red day in tomorrow should I wish ya? Thanks.

Back