Pressure Cooker

I use mine for cooking pulses and do a lot of dal - any types of lentil (I normally use a mixture of red lentils and channa dal), loads of ginger, some garlic and chilli (fresh if I have it but but dried works just fine) and about twice as much water by volume. Cook it at pressure for 20 minutes and let the pressure drop naturally. Check it to make sure every thinhs cooked and then add salt (dont add salt before or else the pulses won't go soft).

Often I add a tarka - dry fry dried chillis, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When they start to scent the air add a teaspoon of oil (2 syns) and some sliced tomatos. When the tomatos are cooked pour everything over the dal. I make enough for 4 servings so the syn count is 0.5 syns per serving.

You can make this as mild or as spicy as you like and if you serve it with rice you have a complete protein. I often take the dal and a crisp green salad for lunch - yum!

Wow that sounds delicious!!!! I'll have to give it a go - just made carrot and coriander soup which wasn't too bad - but needed more flavour!

I got a pressure cooker for Christmas and I LOOOOVE IT. I cook rice, meat, beans, etc in it. I make up a big vat of rice or quinoa for the week and eat like a king! It makes FABULOUS rice - kind of sticky like you find at an asian restaurant. I use it all the time. As far as recipes go, I'll have to double check my recipe booklet that came with it. But just start with basics and follow the directions that came with it. Is it electric? I'm getting more adventurous as I go. But was rather intimidated by it initially! Makes a mean 3 lb roast in 1 1/2 hours. I'll try and post something on here for you to try. I also googled "pressure cooker recipes" and came across some decent ones - still have to try them. Good luck. Mine has become a kitchen staple - and more useful than my crockpot!!

Aw wow, I've never used one. I think people had turned wary of them when I was growing up, so it's not something I've ever looked into. You make them sounds worth looking into though!

I'm going to experiment with a rice pudding recipe in my pressure cooker. I just wish I had more time. I'm only able to cook twice a week.

I'm a little in awe of it, my mum had one but I think it blew up. They're supposed to be safer now. Mine goes on the hob, rubbish recipe book with it though. I'm rubbish at cooking rice so that might work! I'm going to cook a meat joint for the family later in the week! Very excited about it!!

Mine is electric - plugs in like a slow cooker - and is quite literally the best thing ever! I'm not sure about the ones that look like regular pots. Mine has a timer and all kinds of jazz. If u find yourself cooking with it a lot, invest in an electric one. Much easier to use. My grandma had one of the original ones but u have to run water on them to bring the pressure down etc. I'll bring my recipe book to work tomo morn and see if there's anything interesting. I'm lying in bed typing on my phone now! Time for bed on my side of the pond!

Back