price of ketostix

NooNoo1970

Just a quick word about ketostix.

I had run out last week any way went off to our local new chemist at our asda store asked for stix the woman brought them out and when I asked how much she said £8.60!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell over!

Any way explained to her that was really expensive and I usually only pay about £5-6. Decided to leave it and go to the other chemist in town where I have bought them from before. Went there today and bought a pack for £5.18 thats more like it!! (both were for a pack of 50)

The woman in asda said if I did get them for £5 ish to go back and let her know...so when I go in tomorrow I will take my receipt in and the box just to let her know how much they are over charging by. I know they can vary by a pound or so...but that was just extortionate!!!

Anyone else experienced this variation in price??

Lou X

I paid 14euro for a pack of 50 in Ireland. I nearly fell over too. But I couldn't get them anywhere else. I think if I imported them from the UK, paid postage, etc. It still wouldn't cost 14 flippin euro.

I think £5.18 is expensive!!!!

My wife is diabetic and so she gets 'em free ..... it was well handy for me when I was SS !!!!

:D Steve

Just a quick word about ketostix.

I had run out last week any way went off to our local new chemist at our asda store asked for stix the woman brought them out and when I asked how much she said £8.60!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell over!

Any way explained to her that was really expensive and I usually only pay about £5-6. Decided to leave it and go to the other chemist in town where I have bought them from before. Went there today and bought a pack for £5.18 thats more like it!! (both were for a pack of 50)

The woman in asda said if I did get them for £5 ish to go back and let her know...so when I go in tomorrow I will take my receipt in and the box just to let her know how much they are over charging by. I know they can vary by a pound or so...but that was just extortionate!!!

Anyone else experienced this variation in price??

Lou X

Tesco sell them for £6ish
Asda sell them for £5ish (where I live)
Boots £8 ish.

I remember buying them from Asda and being really shocked as I was expecting to pay around £8

Thats so funny as I went into my local chemist today and they said five pounds 19p!! My parents are in spain at the moment coming back tomorrow so I might ask my mum to visit the local chemist as all medicines are so much cheaper. For example you can buy a small tube of zovirax for 1 euro 50 cents where as in this counrty it is almost six pounds!!
Great thread!!

I bought mine in boots they were £5 somut. I cut them up the middle and so I got twice as many. They work perfect half the size and I had nothing better to do that day!

Dizzy x

I think mine were 5 sumtin stupid in Lloyds, for a tub of 50.

I had read that you can cut them down the middle to make them last longer, but TBH, they are only meant to last 6 months so its not like I'm gonna pee on them every day!!

I bought mine in boots they were £5 somut. I cut them up the middle and so I got twice as many. They work perfect half the size and I had nothing better to do that day!

Dizzy x

I know this may sound dim- but did they have a test on each end or do you mean you cut through the strip lenghtways?

There's a more expensive version of ketostix that test for more than just ketones - they also show glucose, protein and blood in urine. They're much dearer (understandably) and some chemists try to sell you these to get more money or because they've run of the basic ones. Boots have tried to palm me off with those in the past.

I know this may sound dim- but did they have a test on each end or do you mean you cut through the strip lenghtways?

They just have a test at one end but you can cut them up the middle so they are slimmer and they still work fine. It meant for me i had twice as many and therefore even when i knew i was still in ketosis I would test if I wanted to. As a positive test would always give me a sense of satisfaction. (I know bit sad, but whatever works eh!)

Dizzy x

Ketostix are very sensitive - i.e. if you get bacteria or even moisture on them, you might not get an accurate reading.

From your Cambridge Counsellor, they cost 9 pence a stick.

Your brain and body will tell you if you're in ketosis. But if you feel you need the sticks, why would you compromise the accuracy of the reading by cutting them in half to save 9 pence a day?

They just have a test at one end but you can cut them up the middle so they are slimmer and they still work fine. It meant for me i had twice as many and therefore even when i knew i was still in ketosis I would test if I wanted to. As a positive test would always give me a sense of satisfaction. (I know bit sad, but whatever works eh!)

Dizzy x

Thanks for the info - sorry if i sounded thick!!!!

Ketostix are very sensitive - i.e. if you get bacteria or even moisture on them, you might not get an accurate reading.

From your Cambridge Counsellor, they cost 9 pence a stick.

Your brain and body will tell you if you're in ketosis. But if you feel you need the sticks, why would you compromise the accuracy of the reading by cutting them in half to save 9 pence a day?

My counsellor never mentioned selling them separately. she sells a tub of them for £5.75. I think there are 50 sticks in the tub so that works out at more than 9p each. maybe I will get them elsewhere!!!

Another good reason to buy them from your Cambridge Counsellors.....at £4.50 RRP.....
If only, my counsellor charges £7.75! Needless to say, I buy mine at the chemist.

I'm sorry to hear that your counsellors are so greedy! (Although CHWP does allow counsellors to choose what price to sell products at.)

DJRookie - I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear enough - When I sell a tub of 50 Ketostix for £4.50, it works out at 9 pence per stick. However, they are very sensitive, and I would never sell an opened tub, let alone sell them individually.

I'm sorry to hear that your counsellors are so greedy! (Although CHWP does allow counsellors to choose what price to sell products at.)

DJRookie - I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear enough - When I sell a tub of 50 Ketostix for £4.50, it works out at 9 pence per stick. However, they are very sensitive, and I would never sell an opened tub, let alone sell them individually.

Thanks for the info - your price is still much cheaper than my old CDC charged. Don't know what the new one charges because I haven't asked but like you said -they can charge what they like.

Back