Propoints Confused!!!

Hi,
I've just joined Weight Watchers online but as I have just moved to Holland I've had to join their one. I put everything into a translator but I'm very confused. I have been given a points allowance of 29 and a pro points allowance of 42 and I dont understand the difference. Plus when I search for food points they always give me the pro points value. I'm really not sure what my allowance should be! I'm grateful for any help :)

Hi,
I'm not sure about the points that you have been given but weightwatchers have recently been changed to pro points, for example. Due to my sex,height and weight i'm entitled to 35 pro points a day and then 49 pro points a week. Everyone here is entitled to the 49 pro points per week as a back up for if you go over your points, in my case the 35 pro points.
If you don't use the points though you lose them.
I hope this helps.
All the best. xxx

hello darling, I'm coming here to the rescue, worry not.

You're in Holland, so your plan is the European Pro-points which is slightly different from the English one. While here in the UK everyone has been put on 49 weekly points, in Europe they have 3 tiers, 35, 42 and 49. Seems that you fall under the middle one.

Basically how it works is that you MUST eat your daily points. Your daily points is what you had with he old plan which you couldn't bank. let's say you had 20 points with the old plan, you couldn't go less than 16 even if you were planning a night out and were saving points. Talking in the same language of the old plan, this new plan is telling you that rather than having 20 points per day, from which you could save up to 4 per day, you instead have 16 points per day and then you have a slushfund of 28 points that you can use when you need some extra indulgence. Now, it doesn't mean that you must use your 42 weekly points to have "naughty" things: you can use it to have cheese and ham for all weight watchers cares, but you would use the weekly when you've run out of your daily points and you're still hungry, or you have to eat, or when you've eaten already and you're pointing your meals and it comes out to have gone over your daily allowance. You can use your weekly all the same day, just a few points every day or 6 every day pretending you're still talking the old plan's language ;)

The focus on the new plan is on lean proteins because from what research has found out your body takes longer and more effort in breaking proteins than in breaking carbs. Hence, out of 300 cal of carbs and 300 cal of proteins, maybe your body would burn 150 cals to break the proteins and only 50 to break the carbs, resulting in you absorbing only 150cal of the 300 from the proteins and instead 250 cals of the 300 from the carbs. So your propoints would encourage you to eat more proteins than carbs (they are rated higher than proteins now), but you still need to eat carbs as they're essential to your body!

Is this any way clearer? I would encourage you to ignore the fact that in this country we are allowed 49 points and think with the data that you have there, because maybe the calculation for the points might be different over there and you might end up eating too much. Anything you read here points wise always double check on your tracker before tracking it!

Hugs and kisses,

I live in Holland and I recently went back on Weight Watchers. I'm fairly new to it, but if you have any questions, please let me know!

That's great there are others on this site in the same situation! I found an English shop that sells weight watchers meals and snacks but they're very expensive. Might stock up when I'm back in England for Christmas!

be careful on the weight watchers stuff: they might have still the old points on. To be valid under propoints the food needs to have "New values" written on it. There's a different symbol that wraps the number of the points, it looks like a U. You can see an example of the old and new symbol here: WeightWatchers.co.uk - Enjoy The Food You Love on the Weight Watchers ProPoints plan be careful that the food has the new symbol or you will need to make up the propoints yourself!

You should stock up if you can! I hate that we barely have any WW-foods here :( The only things that are availible are cheese and sliced meats, that's all! I remember that a grocery shop nearby used to sell delicious WW chocolate desserts, but that was a few years ago and now I can't find them anymore...

Will definately stock up! I don't know where you are in Holland, I'm in The Hague and there's an English shop here called Thomas Green that has lots of the food in. It's so strange that they have the WW plan here but don't sell the food!!

Back