Protein in the urine

Lynn8124

Gold Member
Since I was diagnosed every urine sample shows protein, a sign of kidney damage I think was said. Drs say they can't understand how my kidneys are damaged as "you haven't been diabetic long enough." My tablet for high BP (Co-aprovel) apparently slows kidney damage as well as lowering BP. A consultant reassured me there was only "slight" damage but of course I was seeing myself hooked up to dialysis 3 times a week.:eek:

It is hard not to let your imagination run away with you, especially when you have a nervous disposition anyhow. Has anyone else been having the same problem?

'havnt been diabetic long enough' now theres a telling statement. They probably have no idea how long you were diabetic before it was picked up, and thats the danger with diabetes, doctors are simply not proactive enough in testing for it. But the fact remains, whether you have been diaebtic long enough or not some damage has been done, and you need to take it seriously which Im sure you do. Getting your diet and diabetes under control has to be your priority now.

'havnt been diabetic long enough' now theres a telling statement. They probably have no idea how long you were diabetic before it was picked up, and thats the danger with diabetes, doctors are simply not proactive enough in testing for it. But the fact remains, whether you have been diaebtic long enough or not some damage has been done, and you need to take it seriously which Im sure you do. Getting your diet and diabetes under control has to be your priority now.

Yes Lynn, I was wondeing that myself. Was trying to work out how long it has been, I'd heard there was a 7 year window between pre-diabetes and full blown, so I'd have been 14 in that case. Probably damage can still occur in the pre-diabetes stage especially if you continue eating refined sugar as I did. And then I wonder if my symptoms were showing at 21 when did it actually start but there's no point in me doing my head in trying to figure out something I'll never know the answer to. As you said I can do something now before any further damage is caused.:)

kidney damage is such a massive scale, that when they tell you that you have a little protein, then it really is only a little, and nothing noticeable (unless you get a kidney infection or similar).

Ive had "kidney damage" for almost 9 years, and only when I've had a kidney infection (during pregnancy) did it become a concern. Having a bit of protein is a bit like having a dripping tap, and really is nothing to worry about until you have high levels of protein.

As it's something thats always checked at your annual review, you sholdnt stress about it unless you are having other symptoms relating to your kidneys. Also, if you start new meds for anything, and it says in the leaflet to be careful if you have kidney probs etc - ask your Dr if you should be goingback in a month or so to check your Kidney Function. 9 times out of 10 they wont need to, but sometimes they need a reminder ;)

Back