Protein

Kayleehollie

Hey fellow JUDDDDers, another curiosity question,
what do you think about the cutting protein? The horizon programme said that was one of the things you done on the fast day. Do you think it's important for the health benefits you get? I use mfp and I've found I'm having loads of protein on my DD! Like 35% where as a normal day I struggle to get 15% (I'm veggie) worried I'm having too much protein and that's not lowering you know the hormone growth thing and that they talked about preventing heart disease and diabetes! Thanks

i think theres too many contradicting facts out there about weight loss! many diets argue that as protein is good for building muscle and staving off hunger so therefore you should fill up on it and it'll help you lose weight quicker. then others say that carbs are a must because you need them for energy, just try and stay away from starchy stuff. the way is see it is just try and eat healthy foods and get a good balance between your fats, protein and carbs and of course your treats!

im not too hung up on having more of a percentage of one food group than another mainly because juddd works on calorie counting and swing between the days but i do make a conscious effort to include wholemeal options, fruit and fibre and ensure im eating meats and protein to keep a healthy balance. as you are vegetarian, it is even more vital that you fill up on healthy foods to ensure you get the vitamins and nutrients that you would normally get from foods like meats so i wouldnt worry too much about the percentage of things, as long as your healthy and above all, enjoying the diet! x

What they were talking about was Ketosis...when you fast..and they are really talking about 'true fasting' which JUDD is not as we have 500 cals.....the body burns protein in a different way to carbs...it creates amino acids which harm the body..therefore more protein more acids. However a normal diet of 500 cals..ie not a couple of protein shakes...should be fine. Heres an interesting link that explains it much better than I can!! Infact its a really useful site!

Effects of Fasting Ketosis | AllAboutFasting

I think.. a good recommendation (I go by anyway, that I have read elsewhere on other diet/fitness forums..but I think it's focused on people who work out a lot!) is 1g protein for each kg or lb you weigh? So if you aren't exceeding that you should be fine.. & if you are balancing it with other macros/nutrients (carbs, fat, fibre etc etc.. ) :)

The important thing to remember is that you don't look at your DDs in isolation. Your body does not work/change on a daily basis, it takes time. So you need to keep the whole week/month at the front of your thoughts.

I eat lots of veggies on DDs as they fill the plate more - so I feel more satiated before I eat it, like the small plate trick! That means my protein levels are down for the day. BUT it is what I eat over the week that matters to me. I thought about applying all the science I teach to myself but decided that that would make this too rule bound. So now I follow the basic advice of the healthy food plate or food pyramid and leave it at that.

So I eat a wide variety of foods over the week. DDs almost force me into eating lots of fruit and veg, which happily leaks into UDs too. I may look at the details more later, but as I am eating far more healthily now than I have done for years, and all without any real thought, I am very happy to be succeeding as I am.

Having said all of that I would be interested to read other people's experiences so I can make more decisions! Not very consistent, am I :)

Back