Proud to be doing SW but sometimes feel awkward

TeresaTT

I love SW and I've lost loads of weight on it. However, sometimes I just feel so awkward when I can't eat what's available. I go to a lot of events with buffet lunches and nearly always end up just eating the salad garnish and if I'm lucky a bit of fruit as there is nothing else SW friendly.

I'm on a committee and we're organising training and ordering a buffet lunch for everyone. I've just okayed a buffet of sandwiches, sausage rolls, crisps, cakes etc as I know that is what the majority of people want and it will be cheaper. I've said that I will be bringing my own packed lunch as I can't eat anything on the menu and I'm not expecting the buffet to cater for my particular needs.

On the day I will then sit there eating something different to everyone else and feeling a bit of a lemon, especially as people will be curious. I've had to do this a number of times now.

It's frustrating that fatty food is so much the norm and we have to make such a huge effort sometimes to stick to what we're doing.

At least now most people can see that I've lost a lot of weight and probably don't think it's just a fad I'll give up soon, but something I'm very serious about and successful at.

Well done for having the restraint to not eat the buffet! I have to admit if it was me i'd probably either eat before or if it was an all day event i'd probably eat what everyone else is.

Whenever i book meetings now i always include a fruit platter, they're normally not that expensive and its not just me dieting that fancy grapes or a bit of melon. I also order some wholemeal sandwiches so that when i do want to pick i can have a HEX.

Your loss is amazing and your restraint must contibute to that so really well done

xx

been there - totally frustrating! I always grab the fruit and generally allow myself two triangles of brown bread sandwiches with the least dangerous filling. I also always make sure I have a huge brekkie and have babybel in my bags! Not perfect but allows me to be involved without being too naughty.

Often the buffet lunch is at the end of an event and I just eat when I get home afterwards. But for full days I bring my own lunch. The amount of food I could eat within my syns would just not be worth it and I don't even have a spare HEB for a sandwich which would have marge on it anyway.

I used to stuff myself silly at buffet lunches and then feel horrible afterwards and regret it. So now I am absolutely strict with them. Before SW I would never have imagined I could do this but with SW I am so very focused that I can do it. I just hope I can stay as focused once I reach target.

I completely understand this- I am a trainer and travel to companys and events where lunch is always laid on.
This diet can feel really restrictive when you aren't the one in control of what is put in front of you. I am really sad and usually tell everyone that I have to work on my presentation over lunch and then sit in the room on my own with my packed lunch.

I know this is really hard, but I really really HATE spending syns on stuff I don't really want to eat anyway- I would much rather save them for something I want on my terms.

With you in spirit on this one- just think of all the lovely clothes you can fit in (as you tuck into your sad person's packed lunch!!! :))

.......just a thought- as you are part of organising the food, would it not be possible to ask the caterers for some more diet friendly choices? I bet there will be more than you in that room who wishes there was a more healthy choice available

xxxx

I love SW and I've lost loads of weight on it. However, sometimes I just feel so awkward when I can't eat what's available. I go to a lot of events with buffet lunches and nearly always end up just eating the salad garnish and if I'm lucky a bit of fruit as there is nothing else SW friendly.
QUOTE]

if yor responsible for organising could you perhaps go original and order chicken drumsticks, cold meats etc rather than sarnies, one thing I found works for me is I eat my food away from others before the lunch so I am not hungry and just have one half sarine and perhaps syn a cake - but appreciate its not always easy, good luck with it though hon x

for a start really well done on how much you've lost. I know restraining is hard especially when everyone else just seems to eat whatever they want! though i have to stay that SW must be working well for you and keep it up :) i hope i can do the same and keep restrained :)

Are you sure that everyone would prefer the things you are ordering? Maybe they are just eating it because that is all there is?

Is there any way you could find out? Before the next occasion, could you circulate a memo to suggest alternative menus? Or just ask around?

I recently went to an event where there was a buffet sandwich lunch. Practically all the sandwiches were oozing with mayonnaise, which I just cannot eat (don't like it and wouldn't be eating it even if I did). There was one platter of plain cheese and tomato wholemeal sandwiches - and guess which platter was emptied first!!

I personally don't eat chicken drumsticks at buffets as I find them very awkward and the debris is so unsightly, but what about pieces of cooked chicken breast on cocktail sticks, with cherry tomatoes perhaps. You never know, your caterers might fancy the challenge of being a bit more inventive.

When I was working I used to go to lots of receptions, where there was loads of yummy food being passed around. My solution to that problem was to talk too much - to busy talking to eat!!!

hmm you've reminded me I'm going to be faced with a buffet lunch tomorrow! I'm going back to uni for a day and they are providing lunch! hmm! Will probably bring my own sandwiches and then pick at some SW friendly things of the buffet...I do hope they have some! x

The worst thing for me is that when buffet food is not labelled saying what it is and whether it's veggie friendly. I spend a lot of time peering at food and trying to figure out what it is. And the vegetarian options are depressingly bad - usually cheese based, and it's difficult to get them to understand that cheese frequently isn't veggie friendly. So now I take my own lunch and to hell with what people think, that's less important to me than maintaining my healthy eating. :)

When I go away on trips to see friends on the weekend or parties I normally take my own food (unless I know there will be SW friendly food). I actually get compliments from people as to the dedication that I have to do it. Think the same goes for you- it's tough, but you are motivated to keep doing it!

Oh, the amount of times I have eaten the salad garnish! Yes, people look at you funny, but more often than not, someone near you says 'ooh, that's a good idea' and takes what you leave!

A good fruit bowl can be a lifesaver - but I admit I really admire your self control, there is something I find unusually alluring about small triangular sandwiches ...

I know exactly what you mean...i just hate the awkwardness of being different!! Well done for being so strong willed...your weight loss obviously shows it works!!

Im off out for a curry with work next week and have already decided im having a chicken dansak and boiled rice..but im a bit worried as someone suggested we all order lots and share everything, i dont want to be a pain by having my own thing but i also dont want to waste syns on things i can live without :(

I know what you mean - would it kill caterers not to cover everything in mayo or oil? I was on a course the other day and the hot buffet was fish (in a butter sauce) or pork (in a creamy mustard sauce) and roasted veg which were knee deep in oil. I went for the fish but it would have been far nicer with just a wedge of lemon!!
Think you are doing the best thing and taking your own food, i admire your restraint i really do! x

Mmmm the buffet every dieters nightmare. In a study it showed people eat far more when there is a selection to choose from. They aslo ate more if no remnants remained on their plate eg chicken bones, sweet wrappers etc
If you ask for a dairy free option you may then get sandwiches without butter cheese or mayonaise. Gluten free and dairy free options often come back with jacket potato and beans or tuna salad. you could always take a pot of tuna to have with the salad relishes. i would hat to be confronted with this on a regular basis. For years I have always joined my sister in town on a Saturday morning for breakfast from at our favourite cafe. There is nothing on the menu that is SW friendly other than individual portions of cheese (20gm HEXA) to go with rolls. So now I take ryvita with me and just buy cheese. the woman at the counter thinks I am mad

This certainly seems to be an issue for a lot of us. Before SW I would ignore the healthier options and eat loads of the sandwiches and sausage rolls, etc and always have room for cake. The buffet was a treat and it was free, so I ate. For many people that is exactly what they want from a buffet and I don't want to insist on special provision just for me. We have a good deal on the buffet and the caterers don't have a more appropriate menu. It's a lot easier all round if I just bring my own food.

I just hope that I can always be as committed as I am now so that I can maintain my weight amidst all the many, many temptations.

I'm faced with buffets on a weekly basis and I do take my own food - it's the only way. I do sometimes fall head first into the buffet if my resolve is not good, and I do feel rubbish afterwards but I'm lucky enough to be able to get away with it occassionally.

Funny though that we do feel a bit awkward being on a "diet" because we shouldn't, and I wonder if people who are gluten or dairy intolerant feel like this too?

I work in an office full of girls and tbh, even those who are not on a diet don't want to eat buffet food!

You are doing really well, refusing all the buffets is worth it in the long run.

I work with someone who is gluten intolerant and she always pre orders her lunch when on training days - and I have to say they normally are pretty good - cold meats and salads or cheese and salads. I am tempted to say I am gluten and dairy free one time and see what arrives!! :D

wd hun on your restrant
imagine how great u must look to others and how jealous they must feel of u. also imagine the picture you painted of others to yourself when u was eating far to much at things things.
could u maybe try sneak some healthy stuff into the buffets or prepare a healthy salad or a slimming world dish (anoth for everyone) then add it to the buffet and you can eat your meal and no one knows it didn't come with the buffet. i know it means you have to prepare anoth for everyone and thats a cost but its worth it for u not to feel awkward plus imagine how good u will feel when people say this is nice and u know u have made that

This certainly seems to be an issue for a lot of us. Before SW I would ignore the healthier options and eat loads of the sandwiches and sausage rolls, etc and always have room for cake. The buffet was a treat and it was free, so I ate. For many people that is exactly what they want from a buffet and I don't want to insist on special provision just for me. We have a good deal on the buffet and the caterers don't have a more appropriate menu. It's a lot easier all round if I just bring my own food.

I just hope that I can always be as committed as I am now so that I can maintain my weight amidst all the many, many temptations.

As you are not able to make any changes to the menu, then taking your own food is the best option, and well done you for your resistance to temptation.

Back