Pudding Dilemma!

indiebabe

Ok, small dilemma that I'd like some advice for!

I have a friend coming over to see me tonight as I'm unwell. I told her I'd stick jackets in the oven - an easy tea for me and syn free of course.

Anyway, she has just texted to say that she is on her way with a 'gorgeous chocolatey pudding to cheer you up'!

I don't know what to do! I don't want to tell her I'm on sw as she is adorable bit super slim and very sporty and dead against diets/low cal diets etc. I just don't want to get into that discussion with her. Knowing what she's like I suspect that the pudding will be something like fresh chocolate brownies and cream or chocolate cakes. Is there anyway of finding out the syns for this sort of thing quickly without her seeing? Or do I eat a small portion and then just check the syns later and if I've gone over it's tough?

I weighed myself this morning (naughty I know but just as a monitor) and seem to be on for a decent weight loss this week and I don't want to ruin it!

What would you do? x x

I find it when frustrating when people are 'against' diets. If you're overweight, or not happy with how you look, then what's wrong with doing something about it?! Makes me cross.

Anyway that rant isn't going to help you much. I'd look up the syns for a few of the things that you think she might bring so at least you have an idea of what they might be. If she's brought something in a box, have a sneaky peek at the calories in it and use the 1 syn = 20kcal rule.

If you really want to eat whatever it is, the do, work out the syns later and cut back on syns for the next few days

xx

Well, if you really dont want to tell her - I would have some, and then when I'd had about 10 syns (or whatever your limit) I would claim a bit of a toothache due to the sugar :eek:

But I dont like lying, so I would just say I'm only having a bit as I am trying to watch my weight and leave it as that :)

I'm sure if you was to tell her youre on the sw plan she would support you, and then understand where youre coming from. Only because you might be in another simular situation with her again, and you might feel a bit worried of what to do.

Other than that, as mentioned above i would allow yourself some, and then work out the syns and drop a few syns throughout your week until weigh in. Im sure if youve been a good sw angel then your weigh in will be fine :)

Enjoy!

Thank you both. I didn't know the 1 syn = 20 cals thing so I will def use that if it's something boxed. I'll also look up chocolate brownies as I have a strong feeling it may be that!

I don't like lying either so I will just eat what I can and then leave the rest, or if I portion it up I'll just make sure I don't put myself too much!

I understand the frustration about people who dislike diets, I work in health as do a lot of my friends and most of them have that attitude - they think that its all about a balanced diet and exercise. I know it boils down to that, but i clearly need some guidance with it otherwise i wouldnt be overweight!!

I also know that none of them think I need to lose weight as I put it on all on my thighs, bum and boobs and people never notice when I've lost or put on!! But I notice and I feel awful and so I'm doing it for me! I think that's why I don't want to get into it, I don't want to start sharing my deep body loathing feelings on a nice catch up with an old friend!

Thanks again! xx

i<3jellybeans said:
I'm sure if you was to tell her youre on the sw plan she would support you, and then understand where youre coming from. Only because you might be in another simular situation with her again, and you might feel a bit worried of what to do.

Other than that, as mentioned above i would allow yourself some, and then work out the syns and drop a few syns throughout your week until weigh in. Im sure if youve been a good sw angel then your weigh in will be fine :)

Enjoy!

That's true, I prob will be in this situation again with her - I just feel so crappy and tearful with the infection I've got that I'm worried that if I mention it tonight and she says 'what are you on that for?' I might just cry!!

Yeah I will try not to stress about it and just drop syns late in the week. I guess this situation is goin to come up a lot doing this plan x x

valerie11 said:
tell her u've got a dairy intolerance ;)

Lol! I think she's known me long enough to see through that one! Especially as we're having jackets with beans and my hexa of cheese for mains! x x

If she knows youre unwell why not have your potatoes then say to her you really appreciate it and it looks gorgeous but really youre just not up to having any

It's easy hun - you are poorly! I bet you won't even fancy eating it when it's put infront of you. She's got to accept that ;)

Anyway, I don't think SW is a faddy diet. It is working for you, you are proud of your weight loss this week so far and your friends should be able to share this with you. I can think of a lot worse ways to lose weight!

But as you say, you may feel a bit tearful later so stick with something you are comfortable with x

SW = healthy balanced way of eating, not a diet but more guidelines to follow for the rest of our lives :)

Thanks for all your advice, this site really is great!

The pudding turned out to be a chocolate cheesecake which was 280 cals a slice, I worked it out to be about 14 syns, cut myself a small slice and didn't finish it, just told my friend I'm watching what I eat as I've been so inactive for the past 2 weeks with this infection (which is true, my daily routine consists of bed to sofa and back to bed!)

I've put it on my food diary as 14 as I honestly don't know how far off I was and so have totalled 17 syns today, but could have been a lot worse, plus I felt good saying I wasn't having much - honestly it was lovely. I could have eaten the lot!

Would you advise cutting down my syns tomorrow (I usually have 10) or just continuing as normal?

Thanks for all your help, and I agree that sw isn't a faddy diet. It has great principles, however I guess a lot of these sorts of eating plans/clubs will always have their non-believers x x

Well done Claire! Personally I would think that as you only went over by a couple syns yesterday perhaps cut down by a couple syns today and you're back on track. Not too painful unlike me, I went a little overboard yesterday with chocolate (total syns yesterday 32!) so now I'm on rescue mode but that's okay because I weighed in yesterday so have all week to make up for it.

Back