Extra Easy Quark?

alioreilly

What does this stuff taste like, I believe its free on EE but the name of it puts me off before I have even tried it. Someone said that its tastes like cheese but what kind of cheese! I like normal full fat cheeses like cheddar, red leicester etc but I doubt very much that it will taste anything as good as that. Can you give me an idea what it takes like!!!

It tastes like wallpaper paste! Not a fan, I haven't yet managed to find anything to improve its flavour or any recipes which benefit from it. I've got some in the fridge and was considering trying a cheesecake, but not sure it won't just be a waste of biscuits!

It dies not taste of much, it's the consistency of Philly, it's best if u add things too it eg: extra cheese as a sauce for lasagne or egg yokes and add to cooked pasta, chopped bacon and peas as a carbonara sauce, my favourite is add a White choc options to it and use it as a creamy topping for fruit ect, I hope this helps xx

To me, it tastes like tangy cottage cheese that has been through a blender!

It's certainly not the kind of thing I'd whip the top off and lick the lid, but it is quite good when used in savoury cooking. :)

I tend to use it to make a frittata - just mix it up with the eggs and whatever fillings you're using and the frittata is more substantial without any extra syns.

I've just bought some and it's Yuk!!! to say the least. However...it will probably take on the taste of whatever I mix it with so all is not lost. :D

It really isn't something, in my opinion, that you would eat on its own. It doesn't have a lot of taste, but it is useful in recipes like cheesecake where you would otherwise use cream cheese.

I can't eat quark on it's own its rank. Tastes too boring. I only have it if a recipe uses it. Yesterday I made a brocolli & macaroni cheese with it which was nice. I've posted the photo & recipe in the recipe section of the site if anyone wants it. xxx

Yeah a tangy plain philly, pretty horrid on its own, but it is a useful ingredient, i use it a lot for making a SW carbonarra, as a filling mixed with white options and sweeter for my choc log pudding, I add blobs into a frittata, and have some this week to have a try at the 0.5syn roulade buns.

It also freezes really well, so if i have half a tub left over bung it in the freezer and works great for the carbonarra recipe once defrosted

My top quark tip is to use it mixed with a little milk to make it more of a sauce, as the 'white sauce' in lasagne. Sometimes I add a little mustard for more taste or add v.low fat plain yogurt/fromage frais to dilute it. Everyone who's tried it loves it & even asks for the recipe. Much less sickly & rich than the usual lasagne sauce, & more importantly free! (mustard = 0.5 syns I think)

I love the stuff, I sweeten it and have it as cream on my strawberries, i add garlic and herbs and use it as a dip. I even like it on it's own on chilli as a sour cream substitute and on chilli ryvita minis!

I tried it the magazine recipe for potato dauphinoise and it went really watery. I don't find it has an unpleasant taste but think it needs a bit of experimenting to cook with....it's never gonna be as good as a lovely lump of creamy brie!!

Lovely! Mix it with sweetner, slap it on toast(HEB) and top with a sliced banana/Strawberries and some cinnamon! Breakfast of champions I tell you!

Ive tried it as a cheese cake and as the middle filling in a cake
Nasty stuff made what was quite a nice pretty syn free cake into a wet moist cake :( so I think the dogs will have it tonight!

Not a fan at all and I like soft cheese

I love the stuff, I sweeten it and have it as cream on my strawberries, i add garlic and herbs and use it as a dip. I even like it on it's own on chilli as a sour cream substitute and on chilli ryvita minis!

Me too - lovely with Splenda on top of strawberries. Theres not many of us like it it seems though

I think quark is more of a cooking cheese - it thickens out sauces etc. and makes them creamier. I wouldn't fancy it on its own! Some good tips here though - maybe I should be brave and give it a go as part of a pud!

I just had to add that I have always used low fat cottage cheese to make SW quiche .. but tried it with 1/2 cottage cheese and 1/2 quark today and OMG .. its loads better ... much cheesier and much less eggy .. more solid if you get me :D love it

Back