Quark!!

sharron10

When I've done sw previously I have always avoided quark but decided to take the plunge and buy some. Tonight I made a pork, mushroom, rice and creamy sauce dish that I normally make with philli light (and is usually lovely). Really want to make 0 syn meals whenever possible so substituted the philli for quark- it was vile and absolutely in edible. I have tried making a cheesecake with it - vile again. Does anyone like it?! Just tastes like vinegary yoghurt to me.

I'm with you on this! Everyone at my group seems to love it, but I don't like the taste. I tried really hard to like it because it is free but nope. I've tried it in so many different meals and ways and i'm just really not a fan of it. I think i'd rather syn an alternative than eat it.

I used to love the tubs of quark that have a layer of fruit in the bottom of them but not seen them anywhere for years. I think they were probably sweetened anyway, I don't think I'd be keen on the plain stuff though.

I think there's little point trying to force something down if you clearly hate it and feeling as you did, like it ruined the whole meal. Get the philli extra light if you're trying to keep syns to a minimum and enjoy your meals! :D

oh gosh I love Quark and have used it for years, long before I had any need to go to slimming world!

I find it so versatile. On it's own, it has no flavour that I can tell, but it picks up the flavour of whatever you put in. So I melt it in a saucepan with tomato puree, crushed garlic and some chopped basil - voila tomato-ey pasta sauce. Melt your HEA of cheddar in and it tastes really cheesy. I've added it to soups at the last moment to make them creamy. I spread it on bread in place of butter for a sandwich. I layer it on top of salmon before baking in the oven. I mix it with tuna, cucumber, onion and sweetcorn for a jacket potato filling. I stuff chicken breast with it and bake. I could go on forever! :D I've only once made something sweet with it, a cheesecake recipe that was on the Quark tub. It was amazing - but not particularly sw friendly as it had lots of biscuits for the base! (Pre sw days!)

oh I forgot one of my faves - Quark spread on wholemeal bread, smoked salmon slices, generous squirt of lemon juice...... Gorgeous!

I love using quark for spaghetti carbonara, it took me a few times to get the recipe right but it's really tasty once you get the hang of it. I count it as 1 syn because of the parmesan used, but I know it's less than that per serving but I always count it as one.

The recipe serves 4 and can't be frozen, I do use it the next day but I add a little water to the mixture before re-heating. I also don't recommend this recipe for pregnant women, children or elderly because of the eggs not being fully cooked.

Ingredients

3 eggs
Quark (3 large tablespoons)
Chicken
Lean Ham or Bacon
Salt & Pepper
Mushrooms
Garlic (Optional, I use Garlic salt because it's less pungent)
Chives
Grated parmesan (1 tbs)
Spaghetti enough for 4 people

1. Add the spaghetti into boiling water and cook until ready and put to one side.
2. In a bowl, add the eggs, quark and parmesan and mix together until you get a thick and creamy consistency. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and if using garlic salt add to the mixture too.
3. Dry fry or use fry light to cook your chicken in a frying pan and add your bacon or ham once the chicken has started to cook.
4. Add your mushrooms and if using garlic cloves add into the pan with the mushrooms.
5. Once your meat is cooked and mushrooms are soft, add your cooked spaghetti and take off the heat.
6. Slowly add in you carbonara mixture into the pan and gently stir (if needed you can put the pan back on a very low heat, and continue to gently stir)
7. Add in your chives, and just as your mixture starts to scramble take off the heat completely and serve.

Just a warning, the mixture can turn to scrambled eggs easily if it's on a high heat, so just be careful when adding the egg mixture.

Could you use cottage cheeses to make sauce? It's free isn't it , the fat free one ?

Sharon, I've not done Sw for 3 years but tonight I made carbonara using Philly light with garlic and herbs (using 75g as heb) which is free!

Meal for two so I doubled the Philly light amount but split the pan 40/60:

Boil spaghetti
Cut up bacon (free if all fat removed) and cook in a pan using fry light
Once cooked add 300ml of vegetable
Stock.
Beat 2 egg yolks with the Philly light until smooth
Once the bacon/stock has reduced to 1/2 and the pasta is cooked and drained, add the Philly mix to the bacon/stock and stir until mixed
Add the pasta, stir and serve

X

I bought a couple of tubs today because a member of my group raves about it being a sub for ice cream with some sweetener and vanilla mixed in, so thought I'd give it a go. Result: Not nice! Was nowhere near being like Ben and Jerrys.. Haha. I did regret buying another tub of it, but I must admit the carbonara recipe sounds lush, so might try that out!

I bought a couple of tubs today because a member of my group raves about it being a sub for ice cream with some sweetener and vanilla mixed in, so thought I'd give it a go. Result: Not nice! Was nowhere near being like Ben and Jerrys.. Haha. I did regret buying another tub of it, but I must admit the carbonara recipe sounds lush, so might try that out!

Hi there. If you still have the tub and it's in date, the only way I've found the quark edible is to mix in some options (I like the white choc as it's a bit like vanilla ice cream) then I dip strawberries or raspberries into it. Otherwise my savoury creations have been a bit hit and miss

Hi there. If you still have the tub and it's in date, the only way I've found the quark edible is to mix in some options (I like the white choc as it's a bit like vanilla ice cream) then I dip strawberries or raspberries into it. Otherwise my savoury creations have been a bit hit and miss

Ooh that sounds nice. I ended up using it to make a half syn cake which didn't turn out too badly actually. But I think the sweet option was the way to go :) Does the white choc options taste better in it than vanilla essence and sweetner?

The first time I got it I just expected Philly and gleefully layered it on a cracker. UGHHHH!!!!!

I use it now in crustless quiche and it makes that lovely, but that's the only thing I use it for. My friend made me an absolutely delicious carbonara with it once and gave me the recipe, but when I made it, it was minging :(

Talking of marmite, I like to mix a teaspoon or so into quark and use it on crispbreads with cucumber/tomato on top. I am wary of using it in recipes ever since I followed a recipe for "pesto" from an old SW book. The finished product was possibly the most revolting food stuff I have ever had the misfortune to try!

I use a lot of Quark. Never noticed it tasted any different to other soft cheese. I liek to use it when making a syn free lasagne as you can mix a tub with some from frais (to make it a bit more runny) and some beaten egg. The egg set sit intop a sort of souffle texture and somehow cookign ti makes it taste more cheesy.

I also mix a spoonfull in to a mushroom stroganoff.

I guess it is down to what you are used to. My gran used to make home made "colwick cheese" which was just soured milk strained through an old pair of tights. That tasted quite lemony I suppose.

Lx

Ooh that sounds nice. I ended up using it to make a half syn cake which didn't turn out too badly actually. But I think the sweet option was the way to go :) Does the white choc options taste better in it than vanilla essence and sweetner?
Yes I think that it has a bit less after taste than vanilla essence and sweetner. Also a bit more depth of flavour. The plus side of the vanilla and sweetner though is that it's no syns whereas the options has syns

Back