Question about starting SW

Hi,

I am starting SW tonight, and although the class starts at 7pm, I was just wondering whether as a newbie I need to turn up a little earlier to sort out the paperwork?

I have social anxiety, so joining a class is a really big step for me - but I think I need the structure of a class environment to help me with my weightloss. I find that I cope better in new situations if I have an idea about what to expect, so could someone run me through how a class works, what to expect etc?

hi vicky good luck with the class, for me it was the best thing I did was joining to help with my weightloss.

My class starts at 7 and the newbie chat is 7-7.30 and at 7.30 thats when the group class starts or image therapy as its called.

Good luck :D

You should be fine to turn up at 7pm. At my class the doors open at 5.30, and between 5.30 and 6 all of the members pay in and get weighed while the consultant talks to the newbies then at 6pm the class starts with the awards then WI results (gains are never mentioned - nor is your weight!) then the raffle and password etc, then at the end (usually 7pm) the newbies stay back to have their first WI. It's all pretty painless :D

dont worry

;)hya,

I started a class 3 weeks ago and went on my own and I was very nervious, I found it better that I had phoned the consultant before and spoke to her on the phone and told her I was coming, and she said she would watch out for me, which she did, in our group there was a joining table, which I sat at she then waited to see if there was any other newbies, which there was one other lady come, we then filled in our forms and she talked us through the plans, then we got weighed and then found a seat and the clas began with the consultant going through every ones losses and we clapped everyone, I now sit with the lady who started with me and we always have fun,

you will be okay, let us know how you get on

Julia :D

Good luck for your WI.

Thanks for the information, knowing what is likely to happen at class, has really helped set my mind at ease :)

My social anxiety stems from having put weight on following the birth of my daughter, as I used to be quite the social butterfly before getting pregnant. I'm hoping that by facing my demons and actually going to class, I'll get the support to lose the weight and improve my self confidence and self esteem and become the person I would like to be. Mind you, that's probably the same as every person on here :)

Well done you, I started last week and my class starts at 7pm, new members class was 7 - 7.30pm and then the main group.
Your weight seems very similar to mine so we'll be in it together.
Good luck x

Hi Vicky

I'm sure that there are lots of ppl going to groups for the 1st time on their own, feeling similar. Its good to speak to your Consultant before you go, so that you are already familiar with her a little, will put your mind at ease to start with knowing you've already spoken to someone in that group already. And well done on taking that first step :) and good luck at your 1st group. xx

Good luck for this evening Hun. It really isnt as daunting as you may think. Everyone is there for the same reason, so no one will judge you.
I would suggest giving your Consultant a ring before hand, so that she will look out for you, although if she has other classes before yours, she may not be able to contact you.
You will be glad that you plucked up the courage to go when you get there Hun, so good luck!

xxx

Hello and welcome! Good luck for your weigh in tonight hun, let us know how you found it xxx

Well, I did it! I was so nervous before I went, but I knew that if I bottled it this time, I wasn't really serious about losing the weight.

First, the positives: The group was really lovely and so welcoming, and two of the mums from school were there, so at least there were a couple of familiar faces. There was another newbie so we stuck together and said we would look out for each other next week, so that's nice and made me less anxious about returning.

Now for the negatives - the SW scales weighed me 1 STONE heavier than my ones at home!! Talk about gutted!! I'm going to have to go for about 6 weeks to get back to the weight I thought I was when I walked in there this evening! Just had a mullerlight with cherry sprinkles (syn'd of course) to get over the shock :D

Good on you for going :D

You will soon feel much better about going to class, I am not the most confident person by any means - can hold traffic with my red face with public speaking, but I am gaining confidence, its not all bad.

Good luck for this week ahead - any probs just ask on here :)

Glad you got over the first hurdle - well done!!!

Even though you were heavier than you thought, you will never be that weight again - from now on, its onwards and down those scales!!! LOL! xxx

Back