Question for Iris and other CC's

Crunchy

Do you log daily the calories you are eating or do you just do it mentally?

If you do log them, how do you do it? What is the best and easiest way? Online or notebook?

Thank you xxx

Log them definately. If you don't have an actual record it is easy to forget things and not realize how much you are eating.
I log them in the notes section in my iPhone - that way I have it with me at all times.

I defo have to write it down, otherwise it's far to easy to forget (on purpose or accidentally). I find websites the easiest, the one I use right now gives me a breakdown of the carbs, protein, sugar etc for the whole day so I can really see how my diet breaks down.

That being said, I don't always have access to my comp, so sometimes I'll have my little list of foods written on bits of paper, notes on my mobile, or a sticky note somewhere so I can add it later on.

I have a little note book. I plan the night before what I am going to eat and mainly stick to that and add any changes. I keep to the same calorie breakdown.

Breakfast- 400 (incl milk for day)

Lunch-500

Dinner-700

Snack- 100

Hi Crunchy, yeah I def write the cals down too, totally agree with Debzi - its SOOO easy to forget things you've eaten otherwise and go overboard.

I''m home on maternity leave @ mo so always got my laptop on, so I tend to type up my cals on minimins in my "blog" area after I've eaten them, when I'm back in work I plan to do the same as Canadatogo and Princess Sausage and keep a little book with what I PLAN to eat for the day then adding to it if I swap/add anything.

I always plan what I think im gonna eat the next day as it helps me to be prepared and not stuck on the spot for something to eat, I dont stick to it religiously, like if I fancy something different for lunch I'll have it, but the planning thing comes from, when I used to do the body4life diet and my trainer used to say a great saying to me, "failing to prepare is preparing to fail!"

Good luck with the cal counting xx

Hi Crunchy
I log mine (like Iris) on www.essentialsweightloss.co.uk
You can have a free 5 day trial - which you can keep renewing.
I will eventually subscribe because it is so brilliant.
So easy to use as well. It was Iris that recommended it and I wouldn't be without it now.
ROsie x

i use my fitness pal website, its free, quite easy. there are some UK supermarkets on there, but most is american. but there are generic foods also

Hi Crunchy,

I write it all down in an A5 notebook, a day to a page, which I keep with me all the time. I just find it quicker and easier than logging it online - also I've personalised it by sticking motivating pictures of pretty dresses or sleeveless tops that I'd love to be able to wear and look good in, so I always have some inspiration at hand too :)

I think it's up to you how you record your food/calorie intake, but I definitely think it's a good idea to do it, as like other people are saying, it's too easy to forget what you've eaten. Also if you find you lose more or less than usual you have a record of what you've eaten each day/week so you can see if there are any patterns/types of food that may be causing the difference...

Letty what brill ideas!! thats a fab idea about sleeveless tops/pretty clothes! what a motivation! I've cut out bikini pics and lingerie pics from catalogues and stuck them infront of my treadmill with my head on instead!! best motivation ever! lol!

i REALLY like the idea of writing it down so you can refer bk to it if you've had a good/bad week in turns of loss .....never thought of that! xx

Lol, I picked up the tip of writing everything down so you can refer back from when I tried low-carb a while back - there were certain things, like the sweetener aspartame in diet fizzy drinks for example, that some people reported slowed their weight loss.. the idea was if it was all written down then you could look back and work out if a particular type of food was slowing you down.

About the pictures... it's really working for me! Everytime I think of food I shouldn't be thinking about I just get my book out to read what I've been eating and how well I've been doing and to look at my pictures of lovely clothes! Lol :D putting your own head on the pictures is a fab idea! I always imagine wearing something really gorgeous when I've lost the weight but I find actually having photos in front of you does something that a mental picture can't!

Off to cut my head out of a photo...... :)

I know, I love it! (thanks again Iris)
I usta guestimate, but I will NEVER do this again, as I now know exactly how many cals pass my lips lol x

Great idea about sticking little inspirational pics into your food log, gonna try that definitely!

i find putting my head on slim bodies really helps me "visualise" myself thin! it makes me all excited! i know i'm prob not gonna look like them but it still helps me! xx

Hey Crunchy..

I used to write it all down in a notebook and used www.foodfocus.co.uk to calculate calories of certain amount of food. After a few weeks i got used to calculating in my head, and i know how many calories im consuming everyday. Thats when you wont have to carry your notebook everywhere you go
icon7.gif

Good luck!

Hello Crunchy (love the nickname, by the way!), I hope that the CC'ing is going well! Like Rosie and pumpkin said, I think www.essentialsweightloss.co.uk is the best site out there for counting up your calories, and it's particularly useful if you're cooking up your own recipes because you can just plug everything in and it'll work out the calories in a portion. I used to just write things down in a little notebook and sometimes I still do as I have a tendency to forget what I've had by the end of the day (premature senility?!) but it's so handy to have that website as a helping hand, particularly if maths isn't your strong point!

Thanks everyone. I have subscribed to essentials weight loss. I have a notebook with me to jot down what I have had then I go and log it on essentials looking at how much I have left. I think I need to plan more meals out though as I get so hungry that I want to eat anything in sight! I have some Rosemary Conley mags with calorie counted meals, so I might refer to them for inspiration. Off to shops tomorrow to get some low cal snack stuff in for my danger hours of 3-5pm!

Good luck Crunchy.
You will be fine and results speak for themselves. Fantastic weight loss
Love
Rosie xx

Back