question for minerva

Tonic water? No. Slim-line tonic water? No.
You can't really have anything except for water and water flavouring/tea/coffee on Lighter Life/ Lite - because of the supposed Citric Acid / Lemon Juice in things which theoretically can take you out of Ketosis.

I mean some people do continue to drink things like Diet Coke (and don't notice change in weight loss) BUT: I've read that the citric acid can actually make you feel hungry because of the acidity build up in your stomach - maybe that's the other reason why you shouldn't drink anything outside of what is on the official allowed list.
I've read in other places that things like Diet Coke have chemicals that the liver processes first due to their nature; in which case the 'fat burning' goes into second place, and doesn't continue until the liver is done what it's doing with those chemicals... But I'm not so sure about that explanation... I do know though that's what happens with white spirits like gin, vodka etc. Your liver will process the alcohol before it continues with processing fat for energy ... Ehh.. At least I think?

On very rare (once a month or less) occasions I do allow myself a gin and slimline tonic (50 calories per shot of gin; and it's also very Gi Low) but I haven't been making that allowance lately because I do notice a weight loss difference on those weeks, so I don't take the risk anymore.

Hope this reply isn't too long-winded for your original question? Lol :rolleyes:

thanks. we are having friend over tomorrow for a meal and drinks, i know i can resist the food but i quite like the idea of having a few vodka and j2o's. what sort of damage would that do weight wise do you think? i dont mind if it stops me loosing 1 or 2lbs next week, and it will def only be the one off. your advice?

DON'T have the J2O's - they have LOTS of sugar in them. Stay away from juices.
If you want to have a drink have a diet coke & vodka, or slimline tonic & gin. These won't affect your losses *too* much as long as you stick to a limit of 2 or 3 of these. No more though due to the other effects of alcohol which can impare judgement in the later stages of the evening!

thanks Min, unfortunately i dont like vodka with anything but juice. would white sparkling wine be better as i can only drink Asti if drinking wine. sorry but you seemed to have been elected our agony aunt ha ha

Hahaha I don't mind. I do my best to help... and to be honest it's quite nice to be needed. Egoitistical? Maybe... But in real life I find myself alone way too often. ...

How do you feel about having slimline tonic gin? Or yes, you could have some white wine, I remember reading that it is low Gi. Respect your limits, and be careful. We all deserve a day off once in a while, as long as you stay away from excessive sugar (such as juices), and stick to diet drinks and low-carb options you are perfectly ok.

However... I mean the decision is entirely up to you. For example, for my birthday in May I plan to go to Yo Sushi for a lovely sushi meal; and I intend to enjoy every last morsel - even though many of the sauces use sugar, and my favourites include rice and such.. Last year I was on abstinence Lighter Life for my 22nd birthday, and I never celebrated it at all. So I intend to at least celebrate my 23rd!

I mean.. at the end of the day, we all make our own decisions and so must you. :) You may very well stay the same at the next weigh in if you go for an excess, but don't let the "diet" command your life and how to enjoy it. All it may do is just add an extra week to your Lighter Life experience; so in the long run it's not a huge price to pay for a lovely evening out with some mates (especially if it doesn't happen all too often!).

Hope that helps.

thanks min, will let you know what i end up having, and see what the next 2 weigh ins say (weigh in sunday bit too soon for calories to go on) but what ever i do i will enjoy myself and not feel guilty

I'm not sure sashimi is allowed on Lite Sunshinechick because of the amount of oil, possible seeds, and other things you don't know that are mixed into the sauce... You are allowed only tiny amounts of oil, and for 150g of salmon, I'd imagine it'd be over your allowance?
However, since you don't do this very often - it would probably be ok; whatever keeps you sane and feeling normal on Lite to be honest. For normality's sake I sometimes have slimline gin whatever, it's not such a big deal as long as I make the choice to have it and know my portions.

And those beans.. Ummm.. we are allowed a fair few bean types on Lite, it depends if they put sugary/salt water on top, because some recipes for those beans do have some water solutions sprinkled on top. Depends, you have to ask the chef!

:)

well its 10.45 sunday morning and ive just got up. last night was really good we had such a great laugh. i ended up drinking 1 bottle of asti and about 6 pub measures of vodka and 2 bottles of J2o's, 2 small hand fulls of dry roasted peanuts. i dont mind if it stops me loosing for 1 week as i dont do it often and wont do it again befor i go away. Im off to be weighed tonight, ill let you all know how i got on

One night won't matter too much, so I'm glad you're not stressing out about it. :)
I had a night like that about 2 months ago, but it went far worse! heheh, the most important thing is to allow yourself that night of fun, and move on, start a fresh day the next day. :)

Good luck at the WI!

just been weighed, i stayed the same, was told that my body is retaining the fluid i had last night but it will have gone in a few days. am going to start RTM tomorrow, got to read the book now, but if i get stuck can i ask your advice Min?

I haven't done Lite RTM Bali (I did the 12 week abstinence RTM a few months ago though), but I did the guide from the book in another thread which you have seen.. Feel free to ask for advice, but remember in week two you split your daily protein portion into two meals, not have a double protein portion. The book doesn't make it clear, but my LLC told us this is how it's supposed to be!

Have you reached target Bali for RTM? :)

I'm not sure sashimi is allowed on Lite Sunshinechick because of the amount of oil, possible seeds, and other things you don't know that are mixed into the sauce... You are allowed only tiny amounts of oil, and for 150g of salmon, I'd imagine it'd be over your allowance?
However, since you don't do this very often - it would probably be ok; whatever keeps you sane and feeling normal on Lite to be honest. For normality's sake I sometimes have slimline gin whatever, it's not such a big deal as long as I make the choice to have it and know my portions.

And those beans.. Ummm.. we are allowed a fair few bean types on Lite, it depends if they put sugary/salt water on top, because some recipes for those beans do have some water solutions sprinkled on top. Depends, you have to ask the chef!

Hi! The sashimi is literally strips of raw fish with no sauce although I sprinkle some soy on. so its just part of my plain protein portion for the evening!

Back