Question re exercise.

BBlilsis

My 3 Furry Amigos
Why is it after the days I exercise, I lose nothing, I'm not exactly running marathons, just light weights for half and hour in the gym one day, or yesterday an hours stroll with my dogs, but no weightloss.

Its my official weekly weighin tomorrow morning, so I'm sat here on the sofa refusing to do any exercise.

I just find this confusing compared to other diets that encourage exercise to aid weightloss.

Does anybody else find this, or have anyother ideas for me please.

I find I have exactly the same- a day of exercise for me is always followed by a day with no loss, but it does seem to catch up eventually.

Apparently this is due to the fact that when you exercise, your body stores water around the muscle, in addition to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat so when building muscle and losing fat you may not show a loss. Both of these things combined are an explanation as to why the scales may not move.

The important thing hun, as frustrating as it may seem,is to take your measurements, try not to be disheartened by the scales, and you will prob find you are shrinking in inches before the scales eventually catch up (most people find when they dont lose for a while they get a 'whoosh' effect with it all coming off in 1 go. Me included! Last week I lost nothing for 3 days then suddenly one morning 3lbs had disappeared!!)

Chin up hun and dont give up what you're doing- its good for ya! xx

Thanks Wannab, I know patience is the name of the game, its just disheartening sometimes.

I ain't exercising today ;) I'll do some tomorrow after my official weigh in :)

You probably wont see the loss from exercise straight away as when the fat cells shrink they panic and take on water to try and save themselves, this doesn't last though and then the scales show it. Its better in the long run to exercise though as it will speed up your resting metabolism and tone you up.

You probably wont see the loss from exercise straight away as when the fat cells shrink they panic and take on water to try and save themselves, this doesn't last though and then the scales show it. Its better in the long run to exercise though as it will speed up your resting metabolism and tone you up.

Thanks Fizzy, thats great to hear, its given me the encouragement to keep exercising, I know it makes sense.

cheers,

Toning/weights etc is good, but cardio can make you go into starvation mode if you use too many calories.

I am planning to start some light exercise and will just avoid the scales for a while, think it is important to tone up etc.

Goodluck on avoiding the scales, I weigh every morning, it actually keeps me motivated.

Toning/weights etc is good, but cardio can make you go into starvation mode if you use too many calories.

Thanx Jenni, yep I keep cardio to a minimum, I go for strolls with my dogs rather than fast long walks like I used to think I had to :p I'm a member of a gym, hardly get down to it, must go 2moro morning and do my weights circuit (pretty light weights)

If your able to do half and hour and its not making you feel hungry or exhausted then your doing fine, you have to listen to your body, it will tell you whats enough or when it can do more etc ;)

If your able to do half and hour and its not making you feel hungry or exhausted then your doing fine, you have to listen to your body, it will tell you whats enough or when it can do more etc ;)

I could easily do an hour, but I'm worried about my body going into starvation mode that other FMs have mentioned. My CDC has told me the more I do, the more I will lose. Don't know what to do!

I could easily do an hour, but I'm worried about my body going into starvation mode that other FMs have mentioned. My CDC has told me the more I do, the more I will lose. Don't know what to do!

But you've already checked with your CDC, and you yourself know that you are able to do more, so I'm confused as to what will convince you either way ??

As I said, listen to your body, it will let you know, sorry but I don't have any other answer :p

But you've already checked with your CDC, and you yourself know that you are able to do more, so I'm confused as to what will convince you either way ??

As I said, listen to your body, it will let you know, sorry but I don't have any other answer :p

Thanks for your reply:) One day I'll stop dithering and just get on with it;)

well i for one hope thats not true about the excercise cos i've upped mine over the last week to 1hr 30mins. soon find out at official WI tomorrow

I do half an hour to an hour on the Wii Fit and half an hour on the exercise bike and I haven't gone into starvation mode. Just make sure you stop if you feel light headed and if your weight slows down then cut down on the exercise a bit.

Back