Questions about PCOS

Discussion in 'PCOS' started by Aymz, 25 September 2011 Social URL.

1. Aymz

Aymz Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    14st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi everyone,

It has been very interesting to read your posts on PCOS.

I am 23 years old and went to the Drs about PCOS when I was 19. I was sent for a scan and the radiographer showed me the cysts. However for some reason, the results were not sent to my GP and shortly after that I moved house. I mentioned all of this to my new GP but they pretty much ignored it.

I am indian and have significant facial hair which I remove through waxing. It is very embarassing and I am extremely conscious about it. After mentioning it to my GP again and insisting I needed help I was prescribed Dianette but the Dr strongly recommended I did not take it due to liver damage.

I am therefore not taking anything for it.

Reading the posts above, I find that everyone is cutting out refined carbs. However, since I am following the slimming world diet, on a green day the free foods are pasta potatos and rice. Whilst I could possibly switch to wholemeal pasta, I don't think I could cut out potatoes and rice and am really worried now about the amount of carbs I eat through this diet!

Has anyone else been on Slimming world whilst suffering from PCOS and what have they found?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. beckyblue

beckyblue Silver Member

Start Weight:
    23st12lb
    Current Weight:
    19st0.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st11.5lb(20.21%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Hi Hun, I am on slimming world and I too have significant facial hair. I am getting laser at the moment. Slimming world works well for me but I do mostly red days to cut down the carbs. I still have some green days, maybe one or two a month. If you do stick to green days though you will still lose weight. I do find my weight loss is slower with more green days though x

4. Looly

Looly Member

Hiya,

I have PCOS and do Slimming World and I used to have quite a few green days and pig out on pasta and potatoes, suddenly I realised a pattern, I would have a bad bloated stomach for about a week after eating them and so I have reduced and almost cut them out, I will have them once in a blue moon and I notice the effects of them straight away when I eat them, bloated and windy!

Since I started all red days I have found it easier to lose and maintain my weight, why don't you try to do a week of red and see how you go, and perhaps see if you notice a change when you do then eat carbs?

I am starting Lighter Life next week and the doctor has told me that once I come off it not to eat carbs. Obviously I will eat them at some point but they definitely won't be part of my everyday diet. I will go back to Slimming World and do red days.

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on.

Looly x

5. Looly

Looly Member

Also... I learnt that just because you can eat carbs on slimming world doesn't mean you should, they just don't agree with my body. Everyone is different, just listen to your body :)

6. Aymz

Aymz Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    14st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks looly. I'll try a red only week and see how it goes.

7. Fattyfattyboomboom

Fattyfattyboomboom Silver Member

Start Weight:
    23st6lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st0lb(21.34%)
    Diet:
    Sensible eating/more exercise
    I have done slimming world in the past but never noticed much in the way of any issues with carbs. I have PCOS but I assume my symptoms are mild as other than the weight issue and of course it did take me 8 years to conceive my first, I have had no side effects with foods or so it seems. I am not on any medication, however when I was trying to conceive I was on metformin for a shoort while with bad side effects so stopped.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion. Your doctors don't seem very nice nor responsive. It seems strange to offer you a drug that is meant to help you and then tell you not to take them.

Just my thoughts though.

All the best
    FB

Last edited: 29 September 2011
  8. Aymz

Aymz Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    14st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st9lb(4.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks FB..good idea. I've been trying to find another local doctor for a while..hopefully will get all of this sorted soon!!

9. Fattyfattyboomboom

Fattyfattyboomboom Silver Member

Start Weight:
    23st6lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st0lb(21.34%)
    Diet:
    Sensible eating/more exercise
    I find it is always best to get several opinions if you don't get any joy. Not all doctors have the same caring or support for their patients. I know I am lucky that our local doctors are fantastic. But unfortunately it is the luck of the draw sometimes. Good luck and I really hope you can get sorted out soon.

All the best,
    FB

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.