Questions about PCOS

Aymz

Silver Member
Hi everyone,

It has been very interesting to read your posts on PCOS.

I am 23 years old and went to the Drs about PCOS when I was 19. I was sent for a scan and the radiographer showed me the cysts. However for some reason, the results were not sent to my GP and shortly after that I moved house. I mentioned all of this to my new GP but they pretty much ignored it.

I am indian and have significant facial hair which I remove through waxing. It is very embarassing and I am extremely conscious about it. After mentioning it to my GP again and insisting I needed help I was prescribed Dianette but the Dr strongly recommended I did not take it due to liver damage.

I am therefore not taking anything for it.

Reading the posts above, I find that everyone is cutting out refined carbs. However, since I am following the slimming world diet, on a green day the free foods are pasta potatos and rice. Whilst I could possibly switch to wholemeal pasta, I don't think I could cut out potatoes and rice and am really worried now about the amount of carbs I eat through this diet!

Has anyone else been on Slimming world whilst suffering from PCOS and what have they found?

Hi Hun, I am on slimming world and I too have significant facial hair. I am getting laser at the moment. Slimming world works well for me but I do mostly red days to cut down the carbs. I still have some green days, maybe one or two a month. If you do stick to green days though you will still lose weight. I do find my weight loss is slower with more green days though x

Hiya,

I have PCOS and do Slimming World and I used to have quite a few green days and pig out on pasta and potatoes, suddenly I realised a pattern, I would have a bad bloated stomach for about a week after eating them and so I have reduced and almost cut them out, I will have them once in a blue moon and I notice the effects of them straight away when I eat them, bloated and windy!

Since I started all red days I have found it easier to lose and maintain my weight, why don't you try to do a week of red and see how you go, and perhaps see if you notice a change when you do then eat carbs?

I am starting Lighter Life next week and the doctor has told me that once I come off it not to eat carbs. Obviously I will eat them at some point but they definitely won't be part of my everyday diet. I will go back to Slimming World and do red days.

Hope that helps and let me know how you get on.

Looly x

Also... I learnt that just because you can eat carbs on slimming world doesn't mean you should, they just don't agree with my body. Everyone is different, just listen to your body :)

Thanks looly. I'll try a red only week and see how it goes.

I have done slimming world in the past but never noticed much in the way of any issues with carbs. I have PCOS but I assume my symptoms are mild as other than the weight issue and of course it did take me 8 years to conceive my first, I have had no side effects with foods or so it seems. I am not on any medication, however when I was trying to conceive I was on metformin for a shoort while with bad side effects so stopped.

Have you thought about getting a second opinion. Your doctors don't seem very nice nor responsive. It seems strange to offer you a drug that is meant to help you and then tell you not to take them.

Just my thoughts though.

All the best
FB

Last edited:
Thanks FB..good idea. I've been trying to find another local doctor for a while..hopefully will get all of this sorted soon!!

I find it is always best to get several opinions if you don't get any joy. Not all doctors have the same caring or support for their patients. I know I am lucky that our local doctors are fantastic. But unfortunately it is the luck of the draw sometimes. Good luck and I really hope you can get sorted out soon.

All the best,
FB

Back