Quick Query re Birth Control

ronniejacobs

Gold Member
Does anyone use IUD and if so any probs, just thinking ahead that if Dr says on tuesday cant do combined pill cos of bp and weight (14st at moment) the IUD does not have any hormones.

Not had kids, not going to have kids any advice on IUD?

I'd be inclined to get a second opinion on the combined pill, I got that when my BMI was 36ish. Do you smoke as often the combination of the two is what makes the bmi limit lower?

No experience of IUD, though I know they can be a bit reluctant to do it if you haven't had kids (to do with how hard it is to get through the cervix I believe)

Are the implant or depo provera an option?

I have the marena coil hon - fitted in 2003 not for contraception but heavy periods. Highly recommended as I've not had one since. :D

Friends have had it for contraceptive reasons - it's supposed to be more effective then the pill as antibiotics/upset tummy don't affect it. The marena coil has added hormones but in a far lesser dose then the pill.

None of us have mentioned or experienced any side effects.

I too have a Mirena coil fitted. I'm now on my 2nd one as they have to be replaced after 5 years.
I can't recommend it enough, on the pill I used to get a sickly feeling for the first hour after taking it.

I have a small bleed once every few months whereas I used to have really heavy periods.

I've had the mirena coil fitted (as my body cannot cope without added hormones) and I've not had children.

Not having children can make having one fitted more than a little uncomfortable, and I was sure for the first week I could feel it and I did feel rather tender for the first week. Now, I think it's great and can't tell, apart from not going crazy, lack of heavy periods and freedom from period pains of doom.

Sorry I have no experience of non-hormonal IUD.

I have had both types of IUD, because the pill always made my blood pressure rocket. I had the non hormonal IUD's when I was quite young and before I had had children. Later I had the Mirena.

The non hormonal IUD was no trouble, had them for years, but periods were very long and heavy.
I found that with the Mirena, periods were light and even non-existent, however, because the Mirena contains hormones, I had nightmares, headaches and had difficulty losing weight. These symptoms did settle down after a few months.

should have said i have high bp, dont smoke and currently on implant but have had bone density tests and have osteopaenia and have been told cant have implant as progesteron only and can 'help' towards osteoperosis.

I have had both types of iud, I had the mirena first after my second child and for the most part liked it but with me it made my pmt worse and I really struggled to lose weight. I had the normal iud after my third child and love it, periods are slightly heavier but I think they were many moons ago before I started on the pill anyway so maybe they are just normal for me. Good luck

Not having children can make having one fitted more than a little uncomfortable, and I was sure for the first week I could feel it and I did feel rather tender for the first week. Now, I think it's great and can't tell, apart from not going crazy, lack of heavy periods and freedom from period pains of doom.

Oddly enough I and one friend (both c-section veterans) found it mildly uncomfortable - like a bad period cramp - whereas another friend who'd had 3 "normal" deliveries found it very painful to have fitted. Go figure!

I still have the same one fitted from 2003 - but then contraception is not an issue for me. Even after 8 years I get the occasional spotting and that's it. I know when I should be on - feel bloated, a bit crabby the usual - but that's it. :cool:

I'm on my 3rd normal (non hormone) IUD and wouldn't have anything else. Given my age now, I think this may be the last. Like you, I have no children and no intention of having any. As for periods, I found they were much heavier for the first day, but only lasted 3-4 days, rather than the 5-6 before. What appeals most to me is the fact there are no drugs involved that can have health and weightloss implications

well thank you for all the replies guys, off to dr tomrorow morning and have decided i want the iud (non hormone) my body has had enough now lol

Back