Quinoa

Sean(JSF)

Making it all add up
OK, daft question no doubt, but my wife bought a packet of Quinoa last week as it had cropped up on an early week recipe suggestion. Looking at the week 5 recipes it's there again.

Looking at it though it strikes me as very similar to couscous (which I love), but I can't see it mentioned anywhere in the RTM allowed food lists.

It looks to be high in carbs, but seems to be used in replacement to protein.

Can anyone shed some light of when/if it can be used & what it is classed as by LL? :confused::confused:

Many thanks

I know BL uses it, it's in one of her listings. I believe you can use it like rice, but in my LLL RTM rice is 2 heaped tbsps and couscous is 3 (cooked).

Ah thanks

So it's in place of the protein portion then?

Wikipedia said:
In contemporary times, the quinoa crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthful choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source.It is a good source of dietary fiber and phospherous and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.

It's more of a protein, so I guess you can mix it up... I assume it's like a bean/chickpea which are denser on the protein rather than the carbs.
Have a small portion of prawn curry or some such with a side of quinoa maybe as a rice substitute? :)

sounds like a good plan. That's Thursday night sorted.

Thanks for the advice one & all

Back