Quorn - any side affects?

brigga

Hi. I really like quorn and as a just turned vegetarian I plan to eat it several times a week....... The only problem is that I dont think it likes me. I take a trip to "windy city" each time, if you know what i mean:D

Quorn is the only known food substance which gives me indigestion! I can eat anything, I have the digestion of an ostrich, but Quorn defeats me completely.

And I love it and eat it 4 or 5 times a week with no side effects at all.

In my freezer at the moment I have the meatballs, the mince, the chunks, the burgers, the sausages and the chicken fillets.

Yesterday I made a big pan of quorn stew which is so yummy that I will have it again tonight but this time with new potatoes and cauliflour.

I do visit windy city when I am eating bigger quantities of vegetables generally and as you have just converted to vegetarianism that could be the reason.

If you enjoy quorn it is worth giving it a bit of time.

It does have side effects for some people that have been recorded by the FSA and stomach cramps and excess wind is one of them.

It is a mycroprotien and is made of a fungus discovered in Yorkshire in the 60's ( isn't Mr. Google wonderful).

It is a mycroprotien and is made of a fungus discovered in Yorkshire in the 60's ( isn't Mr. Google wonderful).

I have terrible problems with mushrooms - they give me the worst indigestion and painful stomach cramps I have ever known! I generally try to stay away from quorn as a result. Although, I do like the sausages and they don't seem to upset my stomach???!!

I have terrible problems with mushrooms - they give me the worst indigestion and painful stomach cramps I have ever known! I generally try to stay away from quorn as a result. Although, I do like the sausages and they don't seem to upset my stomach???!!

The sausages are delicious if you pop a couple into a food blender with a roasted red pepper and roasted onion, add whatever herbs or spices are your favourites, pop in a egg and blend. Shape into burger shapes , put into lined muffin or Yorkshire pudding tins and bake in the oven until they are crispy on top. I promise you that with SW style chips and grilled tomatoes it is a super free meal.

In ref to the above post, Quorn sausages unfortunately haven't been free for a while, they are 1 syn each.

Whoops...............thanks for that............still 2 syns for the 2 sausages I use is stillnot to bad.

only side effect ive noticed with quorn is that it keeps me veryyy regular, timed to the minute lol >_< so ive learnt if im planning to have quorn i cut out the other fibre foods i would usually have. :eek:

Quorn...oh god. I love cooking with it and use 1/2 quorn mince and half extra lean beef mince when making chilli con carne, cottage pie, spag bol, etc. But yes the farting is immense. Especially with my normally flatulent other half who blows his way to kingdom come no matter what he eats. After quorn, he is intolerable!

I wonder if anyone is immune!

Back