Quorn bolognese in slow cooker..help please!

Kerriex

So I decided to finally use my slow cooker that I've had for agess and its gone so wrong!

I put in:

300g Quorn mince
500g passata
Onion
mushrooms
Garlic
tiny squeeze of tomato puree and an oxo cube
Left it on high for 6 hours and well....

..it looks and smells lovely but tried it and it is like soggy cardboard...mush!! :cry:

Thinking either I left it on too long or used too much sauce..can anyone help me for next time please??

Any advice would be great :)

Hi,

We use meat substitutes a lot and I find that anything like quorn mince or quorn sausages go really sloppy and yuck in the slow cooker when cooked high for a while. If I make quorn chilli in slow cooker I brown the onions etc in a pan and then cook it on low in slow cooker for about 4 hours to avoid the slop . I think after several attempts at slow cooker quorn I have resigned myself to the fact that it just isn't that great in the slow cooker :(

You left it on high for 6 hours? That's why. Quorn mince isn't as resilient as meat mince. Also onions are water based so will disintegrate. Do it on a low heat next time

It's the 2nd time I've ever cooked with quorn and first time using slow cooker so didnt have a clue ..TheRealMrsB..thanks for advice, I think I will avoid quorn in the s/c from now on haha..now I have to find something else for my dinner..booo! :D

I never really use high in my slow cooker. Really the idea is to give it an hour on high and turn it down for the duration, however I have never done that, or bothered to brown stuff. I just bung it in and leave it. You will get the feel for what works and never look back! I have made some total abominations in my time haha

haha yep will soon learn what I can improve on..well I tried bolognese again the following day with extra lean mince instead and left it on low and it turned out good..was edible anyway haha I'm sure the more times I make it the better it will get :)

Back