Race for life - opinions please

Goodluck for the 5k - I've done it a few times (usually with next to no training, you know what good intentions are like!), and even if I go with friends, I tend to prefer going round on my own, that way you find people with the same pace. The atmosphere is amazing, and everybody is there for one common cause, so everyone is usually very friendly round the course!

Seeing all the signs on people's backs can get quite emotional though - but also inspiring and great to see so many people doing a good thing in it's cause.

Goodluck for the 5k - I've done it a few times (usually with next to no training, you know what good intentions are like!), and even if I go with friends, I tend to prefer going round on my own, that way you find people with the same pace. The atmosphere is amazing, and everybody is there for one common cause, so everyone is usually very friendly round the course!

Seeing all the signs on people's backs can get quite emotional though - but also inspiring and great to see so many people doing a good thing in it's cause.

Just wanted to say i LOVE your screen name :D

I have just text the link round to a few friends to sponser me and my best friend whom i have lost contact with text me back asking who i was running with and if i would mind if she joined me :D

She lost her grandad and uncle in the past so its a cause close to her heart too.

Claireybella - She lives in Ashford but my Dad and Aunt live in Lydd and my other grandma & great grandma live in New Romney so they're spread out all over the place!! haha xx

Ha ha, thanks - I can't even remember what the logic was when I thought it up!

I normally do the cancer research runs in Chelmsford as I used to live there - it's really quite nice running round Hylands Park. Last year though I was really feeling good (well good for me), and felt like I had energy left in the tank for a burst of energy on the final 1k, then I turned a corner and it was all up a slight incline, over a rubbly narrow track - Dammit! Still, always good for a picnic in the park after, or even better - A roast down at the Riverside Inn!

I have foolishly signed up for the Chelmsford Run 10K for cancer research!

Really how cool!! I chickened out of the 10 lol i think as its my first time i get to get away with doing just 5!! lol

Yea hylands park is gorgeous, i like taking my little brother up there in the summer, i havent been there yet this year though!! xx

I would do it with you if I lived closer! I know what you mean about not feeling fit enough and so holding back, but once you've crossed that finishing line, you'll have the greatest sense of achievment and no one can take that away from you. I did a 5k Race for Life last year, went with the joggers while my mum and sister walked, I still ended up finishing after them (they still don't believe me when I tell them the queue for the bathroom took up atleast 8 mins of my time and I ALWAYS need to pee when I run!) but atleast I finished!

Good luck hun, really rooting for you :) xxx

I would do it with you if I lived closer! I know what you mean about not feeling fit enough and so holding back, but once you've crossed that finishing line, you'll have the greatest sense of achievment and no one can take that away from you. I did a 5k Race for Life last year, went with the joggers while my mum and sister walked, I still ended up finishing after them (they still don't believe me when I tell them the queue for the bathroom took up atleast 8 mins of my time and I ALWAYS need to pee when I run!) but atleast I finished!

Good luck hun, really rooting for you :) xxx

Thank you, yea i can imagine that the queues for the loo are HUGE!! lol They're expecting thousands of people to run in it as we are the closest venue to quite a few towns.

I've raise £210 pounds so far!! Im so chuffed!! My dad even rang last night after hearing that i was running to tell me that he is proud, so bought a little tear to my eye :eek:

Im thinking if thousands of people are running then i shouldnt come last and even if i nearly do i will just join the person at the back and we can spur each other on :) xx

Race for Life -

[amalgamated 2 seperate threads]

Hello all,

A few of you may already know that i have had a few run ins with Cancer in the past few years.

My mum was diagnosed with womb cancer whilst pregnant with my brother. My dad was dianosed with throat cancer Christmas 09 and most recently my grandma was dianosed with cancer of the eye which due to spreading is now inoperable.

I am running the Race for Life 5k in Hylands Park Chelmsford 4th July 2010. I would like to raise as much as possible to ensure that some help can be given to our future generations who have the misfortune of knowing someone or indeed themselves suffering with Cancer.

Everyone i know, and may of you on here, knows of someone whos lives have been devastated by this cruel disease.

Once i have completed the race i will hopefully have some pictures to post and inform you all of how much i have succeeded in raising.

Jess

xxxx

Last edited:
You will do great Pesty, happy to donate xxx

I will :) Xxx

Thank you :)

:thankyou:

You all both very sweet :D i cant wait to see my grandmas face when i tell her how much i raise (i dont want to tell her until the end as it will be a nice suprise)

xx

yay Pesty - not long now! mine is on Sunday!!!! xxxx
I am doing okay for sponsors though now - nealry hit my target (link below!) xxx

yay Pesty - not long now! mine is on Sunday!!!! xxxx
I am doing okay for sponsors though now - nealry hit my target (link below!) xxx

Good luck EB, you are close arent you!! xx

Back