RB's Sole source hell!

rugger bugger

Silver Member
Going to try, as i guess everyone does, to keep a diary of my progress doing Sole Source, im on day 2 today, yesterday was a doddle had 4 shakes and slurped my way through just over 2 l of water.

Today on the other hand has been a little bit more challenging, and to top it off im having to face my nemisis! not the pub but picking the kids up for the weekend and taking them to mums for tea, chips? sausage? white bread? icecream? hellllllpppp!

Well, i survived the trip to my folks, not only the temptation of everything that has seen me the weight i am now but the endless questions followed but tuts, disapproving looks and lots of "surely you need to chew something"s

I have to say I'm starving now and the headache i was dreading so much is setting in. is it too late for water? don't want to be walking back and forth to the loo all night!

Yeah, headache is here in full effect! just taken a couple of nurofen so hopefully it will pass shortly.

Perhaps if anyone does read this i should add a little about myself....

Im a bloke, 42 separated with 2 kids, always been "big boned" think I've tried every diet going, i have done Cambridge before and had good results but came away from it and went back to old habits, so this time it has to be more about keeping it off once its gone.

Feeling better this morning, no sign of the headache yet and not feeling the need to chew the head board of the bed either. I know its probabley wishful thinking but getting that "kenosis taste" in my mouth, what do you guys recommend in herms of mints/ am i ok with normal sugar free? x

Hey there! Well done on getting back on CD AND on surviving the trip to your family yesterday. It's one of the constants in this forum that we all find people in our lives that have an opinion on how we should lose weight and CD isn't considered a good option by many. However, it works, as you know, and the first hurdle is actually losing the weight and getting healthier. The next hurdle is, of course, learning how to manage eating so we don't end up here again. I have to say that in reading people's posts, I have decided to work my way through the steps rather than just jumping off CD when I get to goal. I really, really would prefer not to have to restart this diet!! :eek:

During my first week I also got headaches, usually toward the end of the day, and had to take aspirin for them as I couldn't work. However, I don't get them anymore. I think the headaches were due in part to "withdrawing" from carbs/sugars in my diet and in part due to lack of fluids. 2ltr is not enough - I find I struggle if I don't have at least 3-3.5 per day. You may need even more as you're quite a bit taller than I am. :)

I keep a bottle of water by the bed at night and usually end up drinking at least 0.5ltr per night. I used to get up a lot, but now I can sleep through most of the night - I just wake up from time to time and am really thirsty, hence the bottle. Your body adjusts, so drink the water, even if you end up getting up a few times during the night....

As for breath mints - CD has some mint leaves and/or a mouth spray for the icky taste, or you can buy something similar in Boots, etc. I've also chewed sugar free gum without it throwing me out of ketosis... my CDC doesn't recommend this as she says the act of chewing makes some people hungry.

Good luck!!

Thank you Tizzy for taking the time to post that. Yes you are so right about the going through the stages as you come off, I guess that's true of every diet and it's always been my biggest failing..... Get to a pint where you feel better about yourself then allow the things you've craved and missed next thing the old jeans don't fit again!

Great suggestion re the breath spray, id heard the gum could make you hungry, something to do with your brain switching your digestive system on as it thinks food is on the way.

Also I'll up the water to 3 l plus and see if that helps the headache.

Rb x

Hi rb, glad to hear its going well so far. I've just come back to CD to lose a bit more after going back to my old habits :/ Its so easy isn't it? Anyway thought I'd try and nip it in the bud before it gets too out of hand!
Good luck!
Cari x

Thanks Cari, feeling better today, still hungry and today my biggest enemy is habit, on a few occasions I've had to stop myself from doing the wrong thing without even thinking! But starting to feel that "lift" that comes with ketosis. Fingers crossed, and best of luck in your efforts. X

I think habit is the worst part. Just goes to show how many times I have eaten when I haven't in fact been hungry!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! It seems so easy just to say I need to reprogram my attitude to food but if it was I'd be sporting a 6 pack! Lol x

Well, dear diary, I'm physically half an hour away from my next shake, due to my day dragging out longer than expected. Just having another pint of water and will see if that helps? X

Know what you mean! Just had to give in and have mine earlier than I wanted too aswell :eek: Been gardening and feel cold and hungry. Having my shake early was preferable to hanging on tho and potentially going on a mad binge later!:rolleyes: x

I'm so jealous right now! Lol if the kids would get their asses into gear I might be able to get home and have mine, 4.00pm is definitely the right time to have no3 x

Well i made it through to the end of day 3. I have to admit it was a bit harder than i thought, but I'm here! i reckon i got about 4 litres of water down me and so far no sign of a headache.........

Taking the kids out on our bikes tomorrow, a nice easy 6 miles up and down a cycle route to Stratford on Avon.

Excellent! Glad to hear you don't have a headache! Tomorrow sounds like it will be a fun day! :)

yeah hopefully will be fun, i am used to exercise, as i still play a bit of rugby, cycle and jog a bit, but I'm laying off doing too much straight away as I'm led to believe it could hamper my losses early on.

Hey, well done on getting to the end of day 3! Should get easier from now on. Have you got Ketostix to check when you're in ketosis? xx

cari71 said:
Hey, well done on getting to the end of day 3! Should get easier from now on. Have you got Ketostix to check when you're in ketosis? xx

Thanks Cari, It was not too bad but still glad when it was over, into day 4 now, and feeling better now the day has gone on. No I have not got any ketostix, are they just from my CDC? X

shabbs11 said:
Hey Rugger bugger how you feeling? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm feeling a lot better thank shabs, was a bit queezy this morning and bad planning on my part means I'm behind on my water but out with the kids on their bikes now and just stopped at a cafe so sipping on a water whilst they tuck in to hot dogs! Xx

Well day 4 is drawing to an end and today I've learned a valuable lesson, I need to plan my water intake more carefully. So far I've not drunk anywhere enough, then factor in the 10 mile bike ride I did ( had 1L during this) so I'm gonna try and get at least another 1.5 down me before bed time.

Other than that feeling fine, yes I'm hungry but my will power seems strong, I've sat and watched my lad devour a hot dog and my daughter a chocolate cupcake! this afternoon!

Back